Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have issues with a non drinking boring life?

Notices

Does anyone have issues with a non drinking boring life?

Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Heya doublecheck. Lost my mother last year. It dawned on me that the last years of her life when she was sick I was still drinking. She didn't see me drunk but I will always wonder what might've been different. If nothing else by staying sober you will know you won't have to deal with guilt, shame or other things associated with drinking down the road.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by abc View Post
... Life is boring. That's probably why we started drinking in the first place.
That's the way I used to think and drink. When I got dry, I discovered abstinence was boring. When I got sober, I discovered that boring was an inside job.

Abstinence is not-drinking and feeling bad about it.

Recovery is not drinking and feeling good about it.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
instant

Have qyou thought of taking up a hobby that excites you?

Parachute jumping
Caving
Train spotting?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abc View Post
Great thread. I agree the boredom is terrible. It doesn't make me want to drink though, not anymore. I think that's just life. Life is boring. That's probably why we started drinking in the first place.
I still want to drink, but I agree with your comments.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
All is Change

It can help to think of antidotes in the sense of loving kindness being an antidote to anger, creativity can be an antidote to boredom.

I note you mention a degree of dissatisfaction in your work, while : " a good job that is somewhat challenging but I find it stressful and unfulfilling." . Obviously work serves an important function in maintaining a positive life so while that may not be so easy to change, it is possible to find some activity that is creative for no other reason except as being something that counterbalances a lack of fulfillment. Others have similarly recommended taking up an activity. I think this approach is worth considering, whether it's painting or caving or whatever. The key being creativity.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

You know what I found boring...getting drunk every single day for 10 straight years.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
LDT

Major dittos on what formerbeelover said. Not only was drinking boring, but I'm fairly certain I was boring when I was drinking.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can sort of relate. my life seems quiet and more peaceful without alcohol. not empty though. I'm a very private person and used alcohol to be more sociable. now I don't drink I am not as sociable but I accept that is just who I am. there's nothing wrong with doing nothing-we don't have to do stuff all the time. however, if you feel your life is empty then perhaps it's time to look at new hobbies and interests
Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Managing your emotions and responses to stress are skills you never learned because you used alcohol to do that. I think working with a good clinical psychologist or social worker might help you find new ways to cope.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Did you ever take the personality tests that give you 4 letters? I am ENFP, smart, easily bored, loves change. You can google the initials.

I find art and music help me. I do pottery, make jewelry, I started with watercolor and piano lessons when I got sober 2 1/2 years ago. I always have something to look forward to because of art and music. It is also great for our brains!
Best,
Nancy