Notices

Day 6...

Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Day 6...

On my way to work, I had my first actual craving, and the fact that it's Friday made it worse. I thought for a few minutes about having just one drink after work, but knew I'd be going back on the promise to myself and my fiancee.

Instead I'll be picking up a girl friend of mine and we're gonna go to a craft store then go back to her place and craft for the night! This will be my first sober Friday in a loooong time.

Does anyone else find that weekends are the hardest?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I grill outside every friday night after work. Nothing (IMO) goes better with an open flame and food than a cold beer or 6. Yes, Fridays & Saturdays (at least for me) are going to be the hardest.

One thing that I have found that helps, is drinking seltzer. The flavored ones taste really good and I substitute cans or bottles of seltzer instead of beer or cocktails.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I drank daily, more on weekends. So Friday had no particular significance, except my hangovers were worse on Sunday.

In the beginning, every day sober was hard. But every day I was sober was a victory.

Stay strong. Have fun tonight.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to do the 6 pack and a steak on Friday ritual. Even in below zero temps just to hang out in my "fortress of solitude." When I stopped drinking I tried to continue this is ritual but it just wasn't doing anything for me. So now every Friday night I go to the gym. Surprisingly no one goes then.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Second the gym thing. It's a ghost town.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today is my day 6 sober too! Weekends are incredibly hard for me because I was a weekend binge drinker, and I'm young.. so everyone is out having fun, painting the town and I'm at home just reading, and watching TV. Soon, I'll go to sleep, haha.

What I'm trying to do is reinvent my idea of the weekend. Since the weekday is filled with stress, and deadlines, and work, I actually want to have relaxing weekends, not booze-filled, hangover recovering weekends that throw off my Sunday nights and Monday mornings. Reading, listening to music, etc. is very nice right now. I might even read some AA literature...

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am on Day 5 (again - 100th time), but I love a Friday night ritual of making something just for me for supper, grapefruit juice and seltzer, reading or a movie and slumbering into bed around 10:30. I will wake up Saturday refreshed and raring to go to get something accomplished. Not many can say that on a Saturday morning!

I'm also a writer, so the early morning hours is writing bliss for me ~ with a clear head on Saturday morning, the words just flow.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I recommend changing up your routine for a bit - just until you get you sobriety legs - a little change will shake up the triggers I would expect if you kept doing the same things minus alcohol.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

first weekends can be rough, but they can and do get easier

we have a weekend support thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...like-lion.html

D