Notices

Can anyone tell me what a "dry drunk" is??

Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The whole host of existential problems such as lack of meaning and purpose in life, general dissatisifaction with life, restless, irritable and discontent and all the associated anxieties and depressions plague a big chunk of the 7 billion people on the planet. Many never touched a substance in their lives. To just label those things "untreated alcoholism", "dry drunks" or whatever can be very misleading, even in the context of a structured program.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by ChildinDarkness View Post
A dry drunk is someone who is dealing with untreated alcoholism.

That is just my point of view.
My experience is even with well treated alcoholism, I can still experience a dry drunk. I think all too often this idea that a dry drunk is solely because of untreated alcoholism is where the unfortunate punitive justifications starts...
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by ChildinDarkness View Post
A dry drunk is someone who is dealing with untreated alcoholism.

We can stop drinking. Then we have the ism.

This is the part we all have that wants to continually take us back to a drink using any situation.

The dry drunk is someone who has white knuckled it and stopped drinking without understanding the reason they are drinking in the first place.

So if someone is a dry drunk, it basically means they have not done the steps.

Doing the steps, treats the ism. It usually happens at steps 4 & 5.

A friend of mine who was sober for 9 years was completely bonkers he was running about doing all sorts of things - It was his realization that brought him to the steps and he has been peaceful, joyous and free another 9 years since doing the steps with no mental chatter trying to play with him because he realizes this ism.

That is just my point of view.
That's great, but it's also important to state that doing the steps isn't the only way to achieve a peaceful, joyous and free life.

As I'm sure you more than know, they work for some folks, but not for others. Everybody's recovery is different and we are all different. Some folk find terms like 'dry drunk' and 'alcoholic' very unhelpful to recovery. Such terms are hindrances if anything to some folk and their recovery.

Sorry to go on ; ) just my tupence worth
Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Higher power

You are never alone when you have a higher power.

I think the best place to start is in the book.

It tells you everything in there.

Also good to get a sponsor who can take you through the book.

Then you have the tools which deals with the ism.

You are no longer a person who is inexperienced of the tortures of this disease because you have been taught how to combat it hence, you are not living without the knowledge of how our heads work.

Hence you are not dry..

You are a recovered alcoholic, that deals with your head on a day to day basis 24 hours one foot in front of the other and not living in the past or future.

Living conscious with the beauty of knowing you are loved.

Peace love and respect.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Depression

I somehow stumbled on to "depression", I am entirely humble however ego does surface.

It went like this "depression" is purely ego based because if you are "depressed" it means that you want something that you don't have.

When I saw sadness in that manner it showed me that my self centred ego was in play and when I accepted that.... I now don't suffer that. It has removed this from me. If it comes to creep in, I see it for what it is and it dissipates

That was Awesome!!!

Depression - seeking - lost - gone - I want??

Now it is "We" - us - love - accept - nurture - growth - allow - found

I hope that makes sense to someone........... x
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
All is Change

I needed to acknowledge that I was a dry drunk yesterday.SR is proving itself to me to be an oasis of understanding. I can reflect on my stormy mindset yesterday and once again have it affirmed that I can get through these things without drinking.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!!!

I really, really appreciate all of the responses that everyone has given.

I'm also super glad that I brought up this thread. It's been something rolling around in my head for years actually. I definitely have a much greater understanding of the subject.

Thanks again everyone!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

In simple terms a "dry drunk" is someone that thinks quitting alcohol is the only solution to a happy productive life. Being sober is only half the battle. One has to retrace their steps and see why they started to begin with. Unfortunately alcoholics/drug addict had problems prior to their abuse which was never addressed. The drug abuse made the brain chemistry change; as a result, rewiring your reward system of the brain.It takes a lot of will and hard work to stay sober and pin point what ones issues are(OCD, anxiety, trauma, depression). You have to find the right path with AA or other means.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
now's the time

I was a super productive drunk! I traveled all over the place, went camping, went to lectures and museums and events, exercised all the time, held down a super high-pressure job, made art...

Going through my first few weeks sober has me super tired and off balance. I watch Netflix all the time. And eat snacks. And play games. Couch potato central.

So if "dry drunk" is acting like a drunk while not drinking... sign me up! lol. Just kidding, just kidding. But I do think it sounds like an overly general term considering the variety of experiences that we all bring to our interpretations of it.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
now's the time

Oh my goodness. I used "super" three times in that post. I blame withdrawal, folks, I'm not really that chipper.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
All is Change

I had another epiphany! (Admittedly a small one, but I think it's pertinent if to no-one else it is to me). Hmmm... that actually sums it up.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
All is Change

To me, today, when I call myself a dry drunk I talk about a me who thinks I have travelled far enough. I forget my child hood dream of following the railroad track into the mist to see what there is beyond. Beyond is more mist. When I think I have arrived and then realise I haven't, it is then that I can say I may have been a dry drunk for a while. So, I pick up my swag and keep walking towards that mist.

If you're young, I highly recommend taking the express and get towards the end while you still have many years to enjoy.

btw, thank you sincerely, Robby, sometimes you seem to have come up with just the thing to get me somewhat back on track. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Personal opinion here... I find it offensive and unhelpful. The thought of not giving yourself credit for quitting alcohol when you are feeling down or unstable seems like a recipe for drinking again. Thats why the term gets under my skin... I quit. I had problems before alcohol and I sure as heck have them after. Calling myself "dry drunk" gets me no closer to solving them. And if someone called me a dry drunk, that would be the last thing they ever said to me or at least the last thing I listen to.

OP, thanks for the post. Very good conversation here.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
All is Change

The sensations you are having are good to recognise. Strong ones like offense and anger and morbidity. For me they often presage a transformation. Just don't let it become a reason to drink.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

No way Grymt been through a lot in 9 months. Some real ups and downs...things I definitely would have used as an excuse to drink in the past. It's just no longer an option. I live it and get through with new coping skills and the help of my SR pals. Still a work in progress though.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
All is Change

Cool.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Someone not drinking who holds contempt for life
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread -- I've been thinking about it too as my husband is currently not using, but is "irritable, discontent, and ___________" some other phrase I heard at an open AA meeting.

He also engages in hours of video game playing and overeating sweets like tubs of ice cream and packages of cookies in two days.

I think he's just kind of white-knuckling it sometimes through these periods - and then eventually he can't sustain it anymore and breaks down and uses something again.

So he's not using, but he's not enjoying a life of sobriety. And eventually he will get discontent enough that he goes for using again.

This is the cycle I'm starting to see...

Thank you for this thread and for sharing. xo
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
High on Life

To me it's one of those terms that people use to measure their level of sobriety in AA. Why can't somebody just be in a bad mood? Life isn't always about running in the field with flowers in your head. You have your ups and downs, it's learning to accept life for what it is. Take the good with the bad. No need to waste time with invented labels. As long as the person isn't putting alcohol in their body, I'm sure they are still much better off.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hiya Peanut44,

I think that a 'dry drunk is an alcoholic whom has given up the alcohol but still has strong cravings for it n may not have gone through the recovery stage.

I found this for you Dry Drunk - Dry Drunk Syndrome hope that helps you.

All the best,
Evey xxxxxxxx