Notices

Finally Went to Detox

Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Finally Went to Detox

Hello all, I previously had an account here but it doesn't seem to be active anymore. I assume this is because of a conflict of DOB between my SR account and email, I was probably in a rush when making one or the other and entered an invalid date in one. My old username was arizona480. Anyways, I am 23 years old and have been drinking for about 6 years. Recently, I was up to about an 18 pack of beer a day. Last Thursday I finally and willingly entered myself into a detox program. I got sober! With the help of medical staff and medication to reduce my anxiety (Ativan) I conquered alcohol. I am now out (obviously) and the hard part is STAYING sober. I drink when I get anxiety. I have an appointment with my primary doctor tomorrow regarding a medication for my anxiety disorder and hope to continue the sober life. Ativan was a miracle drug for me, but I understand that this is not something one would take on a daily basis. The detox doctor recommended Prozac and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that drug and anxiety/alcoholism? I understand everyone is different and that's why there is so many medications but I just want some feedback. Finally, I would like to thank everyone on these forums because even during my drinking I frequented this website reading threads and I believe YOU were part of the reason I had the courage to commit to detox and start a new life. Thank you SR! PS- Blood tests showed no liver damage and I am so grateful for that, I believe I have been given a second change and want to make a positive impact in this world! God Bless you all and I pray each and everyone of you finds the strength to continue sobriety and get the strength to find help. -J
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back
really glad to hear you're doing well

D
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

Yeah, good on you.
Don't be a stranger.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice work. I also had real high anxiety when I was drinking. Now 7 months sober, the anxiety is not much of an issue - I realize that my anxiety was due to my drinking, not the other way around! Good luck, thank you for sharing.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome back. Congrats on the detox. I too suffered from severe anxiety while I was drinking. (I was also prescribed and was abusing xanax), anyway I am currently on an ssri called pristiq?. I'm 7 months sober and the anxiety is still an issue but it's a hell of alot better than when I was drinking (even when I was just drinking on the weekends and things were good). I think it just takes the right meds, trial and error and of course time.
Goodluck
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WilingToConquer View Post
Hello all, I previously had an account here but it doesn't seem to be active anymore. I assume this is because of a conflict of DOB between my SR account and email, I was probably in a rush when making one or the other and entered an invalid date in one. My old username was arizona480. Anyways, I am 23 years old and have been drinking for about 6 years. Recently, I was up to about an 18 pack of beer a day. Last Thursday I finally and willingly entered myself into a detox program. I got sober! With the help of medical staff and medication to reduce my anxiety (Ativan) I conquered alcohol. I am now out (obviously) and the hard part is STAYING sober. I drink when I get anxiety. I have an appointment with my primary doctor tomorrow regarding a medication for my anxiety disorder and hope to continue the sober life. Ativan was a miracle drug for me, but I understand that this is not something one would take on a daily basis. The detox doctor recommended Prozac and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that drug and anxiety/alcoholism? I understand everyone is different and that's why there is so many medications but I just want some feedback. Finally, I would like to thank everyone on these forums because even during my drinking I frequented this website reading threads and I believe YOU were part of the reason I had the courage to commit to detox and start a new life. Thank you SR! PS- Blood tests showed no liver damage and I am so grateful for that, I believe I have been given a second change and want to make a positive impact in this world! God Bless you all and I pray each and everyone of you finds the strength to continue sobriety and get the strength to find help. -J
This is just a suggestion, but my doctor gave me Camprol. It helped me with everything. Anxiety and cravings. I believe one of the requirements to be put on the medication is fairly solid liver results, with no liver damage, but it helps me. The only downside is I have to take 6 a day!!! Its hard to remember to take so many pill. But I also work from 7am till 8pm Mon-Fri. Oh, and you can not drink on it either, or you will feel even worse. But for me when I take them I do not even think about alcohol at all. It is non-narcotic so your GP can prescribe it easily. Good luck!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifewillgetbet View Post
This is just a suggestion, but my doctor gave me Camprol. It helped me with everything. Anxiety and cravings. I believe one of the requirements to be put on the medication is fairly solid liver results, with no liver damage, but it helps me. The only downside is I have to take 6 a day!!! Its hard to remember to take so many pill. But I also work from 7am till 8pm Mon-Fri. Oh, and you can not drink on it either, or you will feel even worse. But for me when I take them I do not even think about alcohol at all. It is non-narcotic so your GP can prescribe it easily. Good luck!!!
Not giving advice here, just my experience.

It's actually kidney function they check for Campral (anything hard on the liver wouldnt help people with an alcohol problem!). I took it for about 8 months when I got sober.

I can't say if it worked, but I didn't drink! I also did acupuncture a few times a week, that greatly helped with anxiety!

Campral is supposed to stabilize the glutamate system in your brain, disturbed by the drinking. It doesn't have any other properties, and although if you do drink on it you won't get sicker, it will become ineffective.

The only bad side effect I had was awful gas!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Back! I also with reluctance entered medical detox & spent 7 days in a medical lock in treatment. But honestly 44 days sober, I look back & realize it was probably the only way I would have quit.
Good for you for seeking the help you needed.
Keep Posting & Blessing on your recovery.
~Peace
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Great to have you back, great decision
Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm on Prozac; I started about a month ago. It was specifically prescribed to me because I have anxiety/depression combo.

I actually found that it cut out the anxiety almost immediately, within the first week. It was a strange experience, in fact... having both depression and anxiety, the anxiety always drowned out the depression and goaded me out of the house and keeping active (which wasn't pleasant in some ways, because it involved lots of shaming and negative feelings, but was also kind of helpful because once I was out and active I'd be happier).

The depression is now mostly gone (after one month) but still not entirely... I have another week to go before I go up to the full dosage that my doctor thinks is right for me.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you do decide to try it, be aware that it is meant to take up to six weeks to kick in, so don't judge it before you've been on it for a while. I hated it at first but now I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it.