Notices

Relapsed today feel horrible

Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed today feel horrible

I drank this evening and feel terrible.. I didnt get outta control as usual but i still put alcohol in my body.. I didn't drink alot like i usually would and it feels even worse this time.. I cant believe i did it.. So much support on here AA and i still drink.. Im so disgusted with my self..
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well posting about it is a great start, bnmbh.

Looking back, I think the most dangerous relapses were the ones where nothing bad happened. They reinforced that stubborn fantasy that somehow, someday, I might magically become a happy, healthy, moderate drinker. The bad relapses at least helped demonstrate why that was bunk.

Either way, you're not the first person to relapse. You're not even the only person posting about a relapse on SR tonight. What would you say to them? Would you think they should be disgusted themselves? I bet you'd tell them they did a good job, hopping off that train so quickly.

That was then, this is now. Now is all that matters, and right now you're doing exactly what you need to do. Nice work.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree - be wary but don't beat yourself up. You are surrounded by people struggling day to day, hour to hour and you are not alone. Take a deep breath, and go for it again.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

many of us had a false start or two bnmbh...the race is not over - this is just one fo the first hurdles....

pick yourself up, dust yourself off and work out what else you need to do to make this stick.

You can do this

D
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailrunrbyday View Post
I agree - be wary but don't beat yourself up. You are surrounded by people struggling day to day, hour to hour and you are not alone. Take a deep breath, and go for it again.
Thanks guys.. I get a lil sobriety and like every other drunk you think i will have a few.. But as soon as i took that first drink i had an overwhelming feeling of sadness and disgust.. Im glad i found this website.. Its great to come on this forum and not feel judged.. I appreciate every reply to my posts good bad or indifferent.. Thank you all for the support i will get thru this...
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are on track. Countless times I relapsed after swearing myself off I would find an excuse to pick up a drink think I could control it this time and drink like a normal person, moderate and enjoy the privilege. Never worked out that way. I never felt sad or regretful picking up a drink only did so terribly the next day. Your head is in the right space bnmbh, you have fallen off the beam is all. Now get back up and put one foot in front of the other, you will get through.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BTW - whenever I get a HALT (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) moment or feel like a drink I get mindful, calm down and drop the urge or pick up my "pocket sponsor" (I don't have a real one) and randomly pick a page. Good book, makes you think and laugh.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Relapse is a normal part of recovery for I'd venture to guess, 90% of addicts & alkies.

Be thankful nothing bad happened...learn from it and move on.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Relapse is a normal part of recovery for I'd venture to guess, 90% of addicts & alkies.
We really do ourselves a disservice to say that I think.

Relapse is common - I went back to drinking hundreds of times...but relapse was a part of my addiction, not a part of my recovery.

D
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post

Looking back, I think the most dangerous relapses were the ones where nothing bad happened. They reinforced that stubborn fantasy that somehow, someday, I might magically become a happy, healthy, moderate drinker. The bad relapses at least helped demonstrate why that was bunk.
Agreed. My last drunk was a pathetic, quiet, useless thing that just served to show that nothing "bad" has to happen, but that stopping or staying stopped was something that seemed impossible to me. It lit the path to my surrender.

Relapse is not part of recovery, but it's sometimes on the path to recovery. Some of us have a few hiccups before marching on that path for good and all.

You're here and you're back...many don't come back at all.

Stick around...we need you
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up. Don't drink going forward. Go to AA. It doesn't matter ... you're still above ground and didn't end up in jail. I relapsed tons of times, once after being sober 3 years.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hay Bro

you can do it, just keep it up
Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
hay Bro

you can do it, just keep it up
Im tryin hard... Thanks everyone.. This is such a great community to be involved with.. This disase is brutal.. Never ever in my wildest dreams thought at 39 yrs of age i would be fighting this fight...
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. Lately I've been struggling myself and I can only imagine how much grieve and shame I would feel if I were to relapse again (even if I was happy initially). I know I would feel it if I went back out.