Notices

My last resort

Old 04-28-2004, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile My last resort

After 17 years of progressive drinking I am trying something new to quit, Well new for me anyway. When I met my husband he told me about a book that he read to quit smoking and it worked. He used to tell everyone about the book....it got really old. Well anyway I discovered that the same author wrote one for drinking. After reading the rave reviews on Amazon and asking around I have decided to get the book and give it a go! Got it yesterday and in the beginning it tells you that you are NOT TO QUIT until you have finished the book. I found that really interesting. Anyway I am keeping a journal in ***** groups about the book and what I've read and how it is or isn't helping. If any of you would like to read it or join in please do. I always welcome help and advice If you'd like the URL please send me an e-mail, I'm not sure if it's ok to post it here. Wish me luck and I'll be back with updates along the way. I wish I'd found this board a while ago. I like what I see here! Wish me luck.
Dee
Old 04-28-2004, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Re: My last resort

HEY RESORT,I'M BITING,WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE BOOK?
AUTHOR?CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH OPTIONS!
THANKS,TED :japanese2
Old 04-28-2004, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Ted,

Guess the name of the book might help, hu? LOL It is called The Easy Way to Control Alcohol by Allen Carr. I got it from Amazon but it had to be delivered from Sweden. The USA was all out at the time I orderd it. Maybe they have some in now. I'm with ya with "can never have enough options"

Best Wishes,
Dee
Old 04-28-2004, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Dee and welcome!

*LOL*, I'm thinking you were getting my esp vibes, "Well, what's the name of the book" and voila', there it is!

I hope it works for you, there are many alternatives, we all have to find what works for us. Keep us posted.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

He he! I tried a google search with "that book+Dee" and I couldn't find it! Thanks for posting the title Dee!
Old 04-28-2004, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks for the Welcome ya'll. Gee Dan I wonder why that search didn't work, LOL. I am excited to have found this book. Like Chy said we have to find what works for "YOU" and I think this is it for me. Probably due to the fact that my hubby has success with the smoking. We all know how tough that it quit as well. Thanks again for the welcome.
Dee
Old 04-28-2004, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Dee, Best of luck with your recovery!
Old 04-28-2004, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Arrow Re: My last resort

Hi Dee, welcome to SR! My name is Trish and I am an alcoholic,I support your decision to stop drinking.Please know that I am pullin for you! Peace and prayers to you! Welcome!
Old 04-29-2004, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks 1Marty and Miraclen for the welcomes. I am on page 30 of the book and am finding it very intreaging. It's giving me a lot to think about. I dicovered why it is hard to find in the US. The book is written by a European author and is the basis for his 30+ recovery clinics (which I didn't know even existed) that are located all throughout Europe. The following is the first excerpt from day 1 of the journal I am keeping of my experience with the book ( if anyone cares to read).

Day 1
I ordered the book about 10 days ago or so and it came in yesterdays
mail. While waiting for the book to arrive I continued to drink as I
usually do,although I was excited and eager with anticipation to get
the book. In some way I have a very strong feeling that "The Easy
Way" is going to work for me. Not because of the title "Easy Way",
everyone knows handling addictions are not easy. It's just a gut
feeling I have. I hope my gut is right. When I opened the book and
read the 7 basic steps I was taken by surprise with step #5, to not
quite drinking until you finish the book! How strange is that? Hmmm,
there is obviously a reason for that, that will be uncovered in due
time. With that however, I felt that it gave me permission to drink.
So I did so and in greater excess than I usually do. I wonder if
there is some "psychology" already in the works here.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MiddleKey:

It is interesting that just before you know you are about to quit that you have started drinking more. I did the same. When I knew was quitting I made a real decision (as opposed to simply thinking it was a good idea) to go to an AA meweting and then proceeded to drink more and more for several weeks before I made it to the meeting and started my recovery...

Maybe we need to see the greater darkness before the dawn...or maybe it is the fear of impending sobriety...

Mike
Old 04-29-2004, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Originally Posted by msnbuffalo
MiddleKey:

It is interesting that just before you know you are about to quit that you have started drinking more. I did the same.
Mike
Yep, I learned last night as I was reading that it was the panic of not knowing what to expect when quiting that actually fooled me into the trap of drink more. I felt I needed to get my last bit of what pleasure I fooled myself into believing that alcohol has been giving me. When all along it brought me NOTHING, only numbed all of my senses and robbed me of pleasure for many years. I have already learned so much about myself and this addicition.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dan

Yep. The worst binge of my 30 years of activity was the last one, and ended six days before my intake in treatment. I was compelled to do it for some sick, demented reason.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Red face Re: My last resort

It too believed the lies my disease told me..I will give you release from care,relief from your pain..pleasure..what a load of crap! Nothing could have been further from the truth in those last dark days of my active life.What works for me today is my support group,the love I get there and the hope.I hear over and over again about denial and also what happens to people who drink again.I tried every way there was to stop drinking on my own and by myself i always drank again.When I felt like drinking it wasnt a book that stopped me, it was the people in aa and what I have learned there...peace and prayers to you..Trish.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The smoking book worked for me, I quit just like that and so did my boss who told me about the book 60+ a day.

I think that the behavoiur modification also helped in quitting the booze although no doubt my health issues also helped with that.

It cetrainly changes your view on smoking after reading the book. For example I had a wry smile to myself when coming back from Greece and watching everyone buying their "duty free" allowance of cigarettes to save money. When they could save all that money and more by stopping smoking as I had by then

Anyway good luck which ever method you use. I got a copy of the easy way to control your drinking by Alan Carr but never got around to reading all of it. One of the things I think he does say in it is don't read it if you are too drunk to understand it.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

they told me [AA] that if i did not remember my last drunk than there was a good chance i still had one left in me
been eight years sober and i still remember that one
mackat
Old 05-01-2004, 06:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

Pablo: Great news to hear the smoking book worked for you! It worked for my husband and lot's of his friends too, exactlly the way you said. He finished the book and never picked up another smoke. My question for you is: If you had such great success with the smoking why did you not finish the drinking book? Perhapes you are just not ready? And yes, you are not supposed to read while drinking (for obvious reasons) I am on page 64 and am finding my desire to weaken. Can't say for sure if I will or will not drink more until I finish but we'll see. Thanks for sharing you success with us! Congrats!

Mackat: Glad to hear that you are doing so GREAT. Eight years is amazing. I am looking forward to having that freedom. I know my life will be so much more full!

Dee
Old 05-04-2004, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Books I use (is it OK to post.??)

The Effective Way to Stop Drinking - Beauchamp Colclough
Alcoholism - The Facts - Donald W Goodwin

JC