Notices

guy dies in rehab. it was too late

Old 02-22-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

guy dies in rehab. it was too late

Can we post links on here? I wasn't even looking for stuff like this, I was just on a site with random videos unrelated to alcohol but I came across this and maybe some of you have seen it already, but it was a special on the National Geographic channel. It's long (44 minutes) but if you're bored or need a reason not to drink (like me) just watch this video.

Drugged - High On Alcohol - YouTube
Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Brutal stuff, thanks for posting.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It can be a bit scary if you keep track of your rehab buddies. There were 10 in my intake. When we were discharged, two went to AA and stayed sober, the rest of us all drank. 2 years later I got sober in AA, all the rest were dead. 30% is a very good recovery rate for a rehab, but of those of us that went to AA and really tried, 100% recovered.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sad.alot of people I went to rehab with ate

Sead
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post.

Watching him chug and chase the vodka was disturbing.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've seen this documentary - my first reastion was wow - that could have been me - grateful to be sober.

MLC - how you doing with sobriety?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bigndfan175 View Post
I've seen this documentary - my first reastion was wow - that could have been me - grateful to be sober.

MLC - how you doing with sobriety?
I'm not
Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
It can be a bit scary if you keep track of your rehab buddies. There were 10 in my intake. When we were discharged, two went to AA and stayed sober, the rest of us all drank. 2 years later I got sober in AA, all the rest were dead. 30% is a very good recovery rate for a rehab, but of those of us that went to AA and really tried, 100% recovered.
Oh. That is really scary.

I watched this video last weekend. It disturbed me.

All of this just goes to show I better hang on to my recovery like my life depends on it. Because it does...
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Scary and sad. Holding on to my sobriety very tightly. This easily could be me. Actually, I'm pretty shaken after watching that.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Video made me think about a lot of things. I binged for six or seven years, mostly on weekends, every Friday night, towards the end I got up to about 2-3 times a week, fitting some week days in there too. That's when I pulled the plug on it, I had followed the same path with marijuana and that left me at daily use, I knew it would be a real bad place to be with alcohol and I knew I had to stop before history repeated itself.

As far as I got in my substance abuse career I never came close to the guy in the video, not by a long shot. It's strange because I really can't relate to a lot of the things he went through; the shakes, NEEDING to drink rather than just wanting to, I can't see myself ever reaching that point, but then again if I take a step back I never saw myself reaching the point that I did with marijuana or alcohol. I remember smoking in my garage, stealing liquor with my friends from their parents cabinets. I wouldn't get addicted, it I got cravings I would just stop and tough it out, and that would be that.

The point is that I had no idea what it was like. I had seen drunks before, heard about alcoholics and addiction, but I had no idea what it really meant. No one really has any idea what it means until they are stuck, and then it's too late to take it back. I said I wouldn't get addicted and I ended up binge drinking and drugging heavily for seven years. I tell myself now that I won't ever be that guy, that I COULDN'T ever be that guy, it's just the same thing again... I don't know what it's like to be him, and I won't know it until it hits me in the face, and then it will be too late. History will just repeat itself endlessly and I'll just keep regressing further, telling myself that I won't be THAT guy, that it couldn't happen...
Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fishisms - I am crying and so very sad after watching this video..such a loving but lost soul..his beautiful smiling face (like his mother said) will stay with me..I may even print a picture and place it somewhere so Ryan can give me inspiration...God give him peace now...there but for the grace of God go I...
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So so sad
Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wonder why after 17 days. This was such a wake up call. To see him shaking like that.. I have been there once. Scared me BAD. Only 1 in 5 make it?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just watched this too and wondered the same thing..how did he die in rehab after 17 days. The shaking and vomiting, barely able to walk..his entire story from childhood to the age of 28 (a baby still, when you're my age) broke my heart. RIP Ryan!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Saw it today on TV. Sad ****** story.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

He could have died from so many things. If he progressed to full on dts or seizures, that could have done it. His organs were so badly damaged. They can only do so much even with modern pharmacology.

I didn't think I was that bad, my health didn't get to the point wouldn't eat like he did. But I know what it was like to need a drink to stop the panic and the shakes.

And I did vomit blood once, and continued to drink afterwards.

It is so scary and shameful to look back on that. That show definitely was hard to watch.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just watched it, and in my humble opinion this should be stickied. I have been sober for 4 days, and this literally made me sick watching it. Everytime, im gonna want to need a drink i will just put 2 minute of this clib
Old 02-27-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow. This documentary is worth watching. I agree with Luke13, I have been sober for one week and this video made me feel sick - like vomiting, and sad.

I think young people - teens especially - should see this documentary or one like it, to counter a bit of the constant glamour treatment that alcohol abuse gets.

Does the clip say how long it took Ryan to be this utterly dependent on alcohol? Maybe I missed it.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Such a beautiful young man...so very sad.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That was a very scary video to watch... this disease will definitely kill you good luck to all