Notices

guy dies in rehab. it was too late

Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I generally don't like to watch videos like this one. I saw it in real life.

My younger brother was diagnosed with cirrhosis at 18, but continued drinking until he was 28; in spite of doctors orders to quit. He died of liver cancer at 34. I was sober about two or three years at the time when we lost him. My own life was just starting to be rebuilt.

In looking back, I think we both thought we were young and safe from the booze actually killing either of us physically; I think we were both concerned about car accidents, or street stabbings, or the myriad of other "accidents" that occur when one has lost all judgement and decision-making abilities. But organ failure? NEVER!

It took me a long time to change that last memory of him in the hospital to memories of better days. It is seared into my brain. It was heartbreaking, and that memory will never, ever allow me to swallow another drop.

Each day we wake up, and draw breath, is a day where we can make a difference in our lives, and the lives of others. Where there is breath, there is hope. Don't ever give up, and if you stumble a bit, hit that reset button!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

There where two people that died when I was in rehab. One guy never made it out of the detox wing. He passed during his first night there.

The other was in my group. He was a drinker who had been kicked out his previous rehab for not breaking it off with his new GF he met there.

He came in with us and wouldn't stop talking to her so he left. He died a week later from a heroin OD. He had never done any drug but booze. Heroin was his GFs DOC.

I havent thought of that in years. Thanks for the post. This disease will kill me.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting and it was a good video. I do wish they would have shown what was going on in the rehab, and what caused he to die. Was he too far gone? Not treated correctly?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am glad, I am into recovery...My drinking days were similar...Only you have to replace his grand-father with my father...I did not know how I came out of it....God's grace.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I just saw this video. My mother came down and asked me to go to detox last Sunday. I told her I would think about it. I usually don't watch these videos because I thought it was just the affect alcohol has on the body but decided to watch it. I really never planned to detox after my mom left but after watching this documentary and the impact it has on not only yourself but family, I went in the day after and just got out today. It felt like I was watching myself on tv (except 2 pints and not 3) not sure of what the future holds but I am going to a grad meeting for my detox floor tomorrow and start and iop on Tuesday. Everyone should watch this video no matter how hard it is. Also, someone said a great quote from aa I thought I'd share. They said alcohol offers a full refund on your sobriety when you take you a drink. That quote really hit home.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I've seen this. Very scary.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Wow. Very powerful and sad. Any ideas I had about wine today have left my mind. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Yeah, I saw that. Kids name is Ryan Rogers, and the detox/rehab facility was shut down after his death.

The supervising doctor's license was revoked as well.

~W
Old 05-24-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by W2782 View Post
Yeah, I saw that. Kids name is Ryan Rogers, and the detox/rehab facility was shut down after his death.

The supervising doctor's license was revoked as well.

~W
Wow, didn't know this. Such a shame
Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Just watched this. The chugging and chasing.....I can relate. Just get it in me. No pleasure, no glass of ice with nice little umbrellas, swirling it around etc. Just get in my belly, as fast as possible and give me what I need.
He kept calling it the "cure". Indeed.....we think it is.

I am just shy of 2 months of good sobriety. This video triggered me. Scared me. Haunted me.

I am sober today. For this I am grateful.

Thank you for posting this link.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

it would seem that the young man made his choices and I do not see where the rehab center did anything wrong
signed mountain man
Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting this link.

I am literally in tears typing this, and could feel myself welling up through most of the film, as I saw the parallels between my addiction and his. The family ties (my mother is a drinker, and whilst I still have her for the moment, she is desperately thin and unwilling to seek help; I am fraught with worry about losing her, and the risk of myself having a breakdown), the drinking in the middle of the night to keep the withdrawals away, the begging my parents or my partner to buy me more drink, so that I didn't suffer extreme withdrawals and anxiety, the sleeping during the day, the not eating and frequently being sick, and the fear of sobriety. Luckily, I made that step, and got myself sober in rehab. But, if I drink again, perhaps I will not be so lucky.

As was said in the film, God gives us only so much time on this planet, and then just a tiny bit more. It is indeed like playing Russian Roulette.

I was also born in '84, the same year as Ryan, and it was tragic to see someone with so many potentially happier years ahead of them die so young. Seeing his smile at the end of the film, and his gazing over the balcony into the distance, almost as if it symbolised him looking at a new life and the world he had missed out on, made me so upset that he never got to see it.

I would urge anyone to watch this film when they are thinking about drinking again. Perhaps it will serve as a reminder of how ill we have/could have been, how precious a gift sobriety is, and how it should never be taken for granted.