Notices

CAMRA Membership

Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

CAMRA Membership

Not sure why this came to mind this evening, but I'm a long term member of CAMRA. For those across the pond, CAMRA stands for "Campaign for Real Ale", an organisation that campaigns for beer that undergoes secondary fermentation in the cask.

I've just realised that I'll never ever be going to another beer festival. This doesn't feel like a big issue, which is good.

I'm trying to decide what to do with my membership. Well, more truthfully, I'm trying to rationalise why I joined. Did I really care about whether pubs served real ale, or was it just a club that involved drinking?

For those of you that are/were CAMRA members or some similar organisation, what conclusion did you come to on your reasons for joining/support once you got sober? What did you do about your membership?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never joined any organisations.
I never had time with my drinking

I don't believe a drinker like me has any business being in a group like that.
I'd file this away under 'seemed like a good idea at the time' and not renew

D
Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks D. I joined with my partner, and it was a good idea at the time as we saved some money on beer festivals.

Regardless of now, I think the dilemma is whether I'm giving something up I once believed in, or whether I did believe in it at all. Either way, its a question about then and not now but the membership is about now and the future.

Perhaps the lesson here is that I spend way too much time looking at my past.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Regardless of now, I think the dilemma is whether I'm giving something up I once believed in, or whether I did believe in it at all
Yeah, doesn't seem like a real pressing problem to society. I would ditch that membership and join a group with a more meaningful mission. Just me though.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know many alcoholics who ever really cared whether or not their beer underwent secondary fermentation in the cask.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I don't know many alcoholics who ever really cared whether or not their beer underwent secondary fermentation in the cask.
Judging by the level of the response to this question I have to agree with you. ;-)

I note also that my original post comes sixth on a google search for "CAMRA alcoholic". Strange, I thought it would be a lot more common.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I used to try and intelectualize my alcoholic red wine habbit , sometimes i could actually taste vague flavous other than the overpowering smell and taste of alcohol .
I just drank to get drunk. Looking back now, all of the flim-flam was just to justify my alcoholic drinking to myself and others , it's was alright to be an obnoxious self centered drunk if i knew the basic geography and viticulture of france and could ramble on about it in a seemingly knowledgable way and also travel to friends and family bringing lots of different wines with me .
There was nothing worse than being an alcoholic and there being only one bottle of wine and three people drinking it ..

Bestwishes, M