Notices

Can my body completely recover?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can my body completely recover?

I'm 25 and I've been drinking for at least 10 years. I haven't been constantly drunk, but I've been on some major benders, especially the last five years. My right side kinda feels numb after I drink, I'm afraid it is my liver.

If I completely stop drinking now, will whatever damage done be reversed?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

more than likely, yes. the liver is a pretty forgiving organ and ive read that it can be almost 75% compromised and still can heal itself. you might want to go about a week sober and then go get a blood test. you see, when we drink excessively for long periods of time, there are certain enzymes only found in the liver that will spill out into the blood stream. thats what the blood test is looking for, traces of those enzymes. if you tested now, the results may come up positive for liver damage. but if you go about a week taking care of your body and get the same test done, the same blood test may not find those traces of enzymes and that is a good sign that your liver is still healthy enough to recover.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is amazing I am still alive. I was a fifth a day drinker for twenty years plus lots of other drugs. I had High blood pressure, liver enzymes were way up, pancreas problems, horrible migraine head aches. Sober for a while and my Doc says basically I am in good shape for an old fart.

The body can heal itself but only when we sober up. Amazing when we stop poisoning ourselves how much better we feel
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's good news!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right on. The reason I know about the liver enzymes thing is about 3 years ago my employer provided me with free lab tests to check for all kinds of things, liver toxicity being one of them. they told me to fast the night before. not only did i forget to do this, but i also drank that night, but not only that, i drank nightly. the lab called me and said they were very concerned i might have scirrocis of the liver as the enzyme count was extremely high, and gave me 5 days to return to the lab for an additional test (from what i understood, it was a more extensive test this time). Scared, I spent those days sober (during which time i experienced no withdrawal... but that was 3 years ago and now i experience withdrawal on this time quitting now) and drank plenty of water. i went back in and i got an "all clear". my liver appeared to be fine (hopefully still is!). believe it or not, the liver starts repairing itself after just a few days you stop ingesting toxins. just like the lungs can start to repair itself in just a few days after quitting smoking.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With proper care of your body, mind and soul,
it can all become healthy again using the right
tools and knowledge learned thru recovery
programs, teachers, doctors, then you can
have an awesome life from here on out.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hope so/fingers crossed.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of us are Drs GM...but there are good stories along with the bad.

One thing I do know is the sooner we quit, the better our chances are of not having lasting legacies of ill health.

Are you planning to see a Dr?

D
Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

see a doctor. with your youth I commend you on getting sober and you should be cautiously optomistic about your health
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
None of us are Drs GM...but there are good stories along with the bad.

One thing I do know is the sooner we quit, the better our chances are of not having lasting legacies of ill health.

Are you planning to see a Dr?

D
No, I'm not planning on seeing a doctor. If the pain persists much longer, I probably will, though.

I've been on a couple of bad benders through the years, but I haven't been as excessively abusive to myself as some of the stories I've read on here here. I don't consider myself having a real problem... yet. It's more like I want to nip it in the bud before it can become one.

For instance, I get by fine when I'm not drinking and I skipped weekdays for a long time without problems. I sometimes go for more than a week without booze without even realizing it. My weakness is when I have an opportunity to get drunk, and I know I can waste the next day, I start drinking too much too fast. That's a bad sign, I think.

I started to get concerned after having a really bad hangover that seemed to last relatively long and with weird pains. I'm a bit of a health nut, so this threw me off.

I just wanted some opinions from you guys.