Notices

Antabuse

Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
All is Change

I think you are doing fine. You've got an understanding on what your difficulties are and are taking rational steps to deal with them.

I must have misunderstood your original question to me.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

An update: After one week off of antabuse, I began taking it again today. Was told to start taking it again, by my therapist, so I took his advice.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

After returning to antabuse, I have yet to notice some of the strange symptoms I was having before. It very well could be I'm thinking too much about this, lol. Time will tell. IN any event, 66 days without a drink.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Great job!!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Argonaut

I have been taking Antabuse almost daily during my first year. No real side effects, except for smelling like garlic . But I took small doses, as I was a bit afraid of any possible side effects. Then I got comfortable with non-drinking, as I finally realized there is no possible way except for total abstinence of alcohol. However sometimes there are rare events, like New Year's Eve or a party where a lot of people drink, then I take a single dosage of Antabuse to get any temptation out of my mind.

It helped me really a lot during the first year. I knew I couldn't drink because of the Antabuse and that made fighting the cravings a lot easier.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

ive took antibuse ive played with it so i could drink on weekends ive even took it thinking why am i taking this i want a drink, to the point ive taken antibuse then drank just to see what happens i was sick red flushed etc never been to hospittal after mixing the two but dont recomend it if your still really thinking of drinking,

antibuse does not take away the craving to drink

also i think you should stop counting the days youre sober its not good as we are all very obbsessive people, its not a race its just one day today

good luck
Old 03-08-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My wife is taking it on day 40 of sobriety. She has 1-2 episodes a day of wanting a beer or glass of wine. Knowing that she would get sick and possibly die if she drank, gives her a good backup system should her resolve fail. It is like having that second engine on a plane. Not a guaranty of survival, but sure helpful if one engine fails. Antabuse stays in the system for 2 weeks after stopping it so you would really have to be planning ahead for that drink. Stoppinng Antabuse gives no symptoms, it is the drinking within 2 weeks that causes problems. It's main side effect is mild drowsiness so taking at nite is best. This drowsiness tends to go away with time. It also does not reduce craving, just makes you sick if you drink. Also a lot of your symptoms sound like Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome. All in all, my wife finds it very helpful and wants to take it. She is very committed to not drinking. These are the only patients on which it should be used.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Twinco View Post
My wife is taking it on day 40 of sobriety. She has 1-2 episodes a day of wanting a beer or glass of wine. Knowing that she would get sick and possibly die if she drank, gives her a good backup system should her resolve fail. It is like having that second engine on a plane. Not a guaranty of survival, but sure helpful if one engine fails. Antabuse stays in the system for 2 weeks after stopping it so you would really have to be planning ahead for that drink. Stoppinng Antabuse gives no symptoms, it is the drinking within 2 weeks that causes problems. It's main side effect is mild drowsiness so taking at nite is best. This drowsiness tends to go away with time. It also does not reduce craving, just makes you sick if you drink. Also a lot of your symptoms sound like Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome. All in all, my wife finds it very helpful and wants to take it. She is very committed to not drinking. These are the only patients on which it should be used.

Well. I'm committed to stop drinking. That's why I'm taking it. Also, I have been sober for 70 days now, so I will go ahead and call that commitment. In addition, I will go ahead and count the days. I play this game my way, with my rules.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I totally agree that you must be committed to quit drinking. Only in this case it will serve as an additional valuable tool. As for me, I don't use the pills, but went for a small surgery and got the medicine implanted under my skin in the back and the ass. This is the only sure way it will last for a long time, at least a year. A few days after the surgery my therapist gave me a small (10ml, or 1/3 ounce I guess) dosage of vodka under their supervision. My heart rate and blood pressure skyrocketed, face became red, and the feeling was I was about to suffocate and die. And this is just a tiny amount. However, there is no reaction at all to the alcohol the food may contain.

Now, drinking is just not an option so I'm finally able to switch my thoughts to the life itself. Such a freedom. Going through the life problems is tough, but I'm learning to do it.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There is another huge question on my mind. In addition to being an alcoholic, I am an addict. I have been sober for 71 days now, and I have been clean off of cocaine for 100 days. The question I have is this: On antabuse, will using cocaine bring about the same sickness and possible death, that drinking will?

Anyone know about this?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't understand your questions, 44... Why do you ask if/when you can use/drink while on antabuse or just recently off of it? You said you were committed to not drinking and that's one of the reasons why you are counting your days. You're counting your days since your last use, which would imply that you are also committed to staying clean, but then you pose the question about using while on antabuse. Are you thinking about using while on it?

Regardless, cocaine is an illegal drug. Even if one person used it while on antabuse and came out on the other side with no adverse reactions, you never know exactly what you're getting with something off of the street. What could illicit a fine reaction in one person may turn out bad for another. You're doing so well, why take the chance?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noexcuse View Post
I don't understand your questions, 44... Why do you ask if/when you can use/drink while on antabuse or just recently off of it? You said you were committed to not drinking and that's one of the reasons why you are counting your days. You're counting your days since your last use, which would imply that you are also committed to staying clean, but then you pose the question about using while on antabuse. Are you thinking about using while on it?

Regardless, cocaine is an illegal drug. Even if one person used it while on antabuse and came out on the other side with no adverse reactions, you never know exactly what you're getting with something off of the street. What could illicit a fine reaction in one person may turn out bad for another. You're doing so well, why take the chance?
It's actually quite simple, I want to know as much as I can about it. This is why I am asking if anyone has had that experience, with using cocaine while on antabuse. I'll ask again, does anybody have an experience of using cocaine while on antabuse?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a recovery board 44milk.
Noone here is going to give you the go ahead to drink or use again.

Noone here can give you medical advice either.

If you want medical advice regarding antabuse and interactions - see your doctor.

thread closed

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
D