Notices

Did you inherit your Alcholism?

Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Three out of my four grandparents had issues with alcohol. I think that there is definitely a genetic component.

Also, there were some studies done in (I think) 2003-2004 that suggested genetic linkage:

If you Google CREB and ALCOHOLISM, there is information out there.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I have no idea. I know nothing of my biological father so perhaps there's a strong link on his side?

My parents (mom & stepdad) didn't drink. They did have a liquor cabinet where they stored any alcohol they received as gifts. Didn't have many drinking relatives either.

Doesn't much matter to me. No one ever held a drink to my lips and forced me to drink. I'm an alcoholic, I'm in recovery & it's of no interest to me whether it's genetic predisposition or not.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I think it's a very deep and great question. I'm sure there are studies out there, but who really knows?

We learn at a young age to do what is taught us. We also have the ability to overcome it.

Some of us will go the complete opposite.

Some of us will fall in line with what we learned.

My father is not an alcoholic but he drank when I was very young I witnessed the outcome of his drinking.

My brother on the other hand drank himself to death. (him being the oldest child)

My step grandfather on my fathers side WAS an alcohlic and I grew up with that.

My mothers family was totaly opposite and so I had both worlds or both genetics you could say.

Who Knows...who really knows? In the end WE have to make decisions for ourselves,but it is a very interesting subject in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Im the only alcoholic in my family extended or otherwise. My mom gets drunk off a quarter glass of wine for new years. My dad drinks about 6 beers a year. Nobody else in my family drinks at all.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I found this while on a website about addiction in the family today:

Children of Alcoholics
According to the National Association for Children of Alcoholics, 18 percent of American adults grew up with an alcoholic in their home while almost half (43 percent) have dealt with an alcoholic in the family. Alcoholism is four times more likely to develop in children of alcoholics than in other families

Thought I would share. Both of my parents drink. My dad at 8 beers a day yet when I tried to talk about it once he got mad.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Both genetics and environment. Above all our willing and struggle to be free.

My brother, uncle and cousin have been everywhere between binge drinking to heavy drinking and they consider themselves social drinkers. I used to get drunk occasionaly but after a lot of self-critisism, objective observation and research I admitted my problem, so I desided to quit. Probably all four of us share the same gene, but don't have the same point of view or attitude towards drinking.

So, I will agree with TrixMixer. Some of us may have been born with this loaded gun in our hands but it's a mix of different factors that lead to alcoolism. And don't forget just how addictive and toxic alcohol is. Under certain circumstancies (peer pressure, anxiety, culture, modern lifestyle, role models...) anyone could become addicted.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I didn't inherit my alcoholism, but I'm sure somewhere in the family tree are other drinkers.

When I realized I was an alcoholic, I spent a lot time wondering why. Now I don't question it. I am what I am.

It wouldn't do you any good to justify drinking with "it's the family vocation" type of mentality. Change the family vocation and be sober.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good question. I don't know how much of mine is genetic and how much was learned. I didn't realize that 1-3 of my grandparents are/were high-functioning alcoholics (family seems to disagree on this) until the first time my drinking really got me in trouble and my mom started yelling at me about it over the phone. My dad and I have very similar drinking habits, and he is arguably a high-functioning alcoholic. I know he has identified as one in the past. There is a lot of grey area with my family, but I probably inherited some sort of predisposition. I was also a very observant kid. And, of course, I've made my own mistakes along the way.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Definately, I'm Athabaskin indian and we have a much higher rate of alcoholism. I've been sober for 56 days now. I am enjoying life again. No more hangovers, yeah!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

One thing that is proven is the link between genetics and depression. For those that grows up in a single parent family where the Parent is an abusive alcoholic and bipolar, the outlook can be a little glum. All siblings (three) have varying degrees of depression. Of four, I was the only one that took up the drink. Being a black sheep I joined the Army to cut myself from the family and "become a man". I found alcohol helped me fit in and be accepted in an elite regiment. I was otherwise a small and skinny reserved pimply faced 18 year old. Three years later I was a cynical and aggressive veteran of overseas duty with an alcohol problem and nose for trouble that eventually got me kicked out. That love/hate affair with booze lasted 25 years. In the meantime one of my siblings committed suicide and my old man, estranged for 25 years, died a lonely skid row drunk. The other two siblings battled depression over the years and are now generally happy. So which came first? I'd say I inherited a mental illness from my father that later expressed itself in alcoholism and other addictive behavior patterns. Grace of God I survived it.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

According to the head of our national addiction center, it is now established fact that alcoholism is a brain disease that can be clearly seen through MRI CT technology. Its cause is genetic with environmental factors also playing a significant role. If the environmental factors don't switch on the gene, alcoholism will not develop in that individual, but may still be passed on to the next generation, which explains why alcoholism sometimes skips a genration and then appears "out of no where", or affects one sibling and not another. It is progressive and terminal unless arrested.There is no known cure.

I have never been that concerned about the cause of my alcoholism, it just is. It would serve no useful purpose to have someone or something to blame.

From the point of view of someone just coming to terms with having this disease, it may be useful to know the facts above, to know that their illness is not the result of weakness or poor choices or behaviour, that they were not made into alcoholics by the actions of someone else. Alcoholics are born, not made, it's not their fault, it's just the way it is. The priority, then, must be to find a way to arrest the disease.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I believe there is good research that shows a genetic propensity for addiction. But even if you inherit a particular gene it might not express itself for various reasons. I'm sure there's a strong streak in my family. My parents both had problems with drinking inappropriately at certain times in their lives. Of 4 sisters, 1 was a full-blown alcoholic and this had horrible consequences for her family, 1 has no problem, 1 (me) is an alcoholic who caught it relatively early, and 1 just loves drinking but is determined not to allow herself to slide into excessive consumption.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I respect other's opinions in much the same way as I respect people's religious choices and the choice to not be religious (since it is not genetic or hereditary) in that "whatever works" for them as individuals is fine, more power to them. With that said, my personal opinion is that "alcoholism" is not hereditary or genetic. However, I do believe that each person's body and liver are unique in how they metabolize alcohol that is introduced into the body. Beyond that it becomes a mental issue and a matter of choice. There is no gene that steers my arm to a place against my will until it is grasping a drink and then the gene lifts my arm to lift the glass to my mouth. For me personally, I consider the idea of blaming ones alcoholism on genetics a means of avoid taking responsibility for ones actions.

On a related note, when I was 5 my (then alcoholic) father thought it would be fun to race shots of sparkling wine with me. Needless to say, I don't remember anything after winning three times in a row. When I was 10 I was "told" by him that I was predisposed to alcoholism because it ran in the family. This leads me to a word I recently learned. Iatrogenic or iatrogenesis - sickness caused by a physician, whether actual or suggested. Basically, the power of suggestion being the cause, much like psychosomatic illness. -The planting of a seed where one then lives into the reality and/or possibility of alcoholic pattern drinking.
Basically, I do not believe that alcoholic pattern drinking is hereditary, I believe the way a body processes alcohol is unique for each individual and those bodily processes can be hereditary. “Decision making” patterns are not hereditary. Beyond that, picking up a drink is a cognitive mental choice. I give myself credit for making the right choice (being aware of the way my body processes alcohol) rather than live into a miserable reality of suffering, blame, playing out the victim role, and avoiding responsibility for my actions by telling myself it is hereditary and therefore someone else is at fault and to blame for my decision. That to me is truly insane thinking! I think AA throws it in there to ease the burden and shame of poor decisions and consequences. It is disempowering to blame it on things outside yourself. That's just my spin and that’s what works for me. Glad to be here and thanks for all the support.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

this is an interesting one! On my mother's side my Grandfather liked a drink but so far as I can recall either moderated or quit - can't remember. He lived to a good age anyway! My uncle was an alcoholic, lived on streets for years...he went to rehab for a long time and hasn't drank in 30 years or so, there is also a history of manic depression in the entire family. On my Dad's side he has to watch his alcohol intake very carefully....red wine would send him insane so he no longer drink's that, however he also suffers depression but really works hard on it through a self help group. My sister is quite a heavy wine drinker, mother likes a tipple, brother hardly drinks at all. I don't think I was an accident waiting to happen as such or if there is a alcohol dependent gene lurking about somewhere but I think I definitely had all the "qualifications" to become a binge drinker/booze dependent - growing up alcohol was part of almost everything, somebody is born...drink, somebody gets married...drink, somebody dies....drink and everything inbetween - you get the picture. At nearly 40 I know that I can't change the environment I grew up in or blame it, I can only take responsibility for myself (its hard!) Good luck all - stay sober x
Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Even if it were genetic the basic question is still whether or not that trumps free will and the power of choice. I believe we all have the power to say no even if our alcohol desire gene gets shifted into overdrive.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
I was actually going to make a post that this thread isin't some kind of excuse were we can all pile in and claim innocent because it was mommy and daddy's fault but decided not to in fear of me saying that actually sparked those responses off... I chose to drink but was ignorant oh just how much it can destroy you, nobody ever explained that you could become chemically addicted and just how much it can change your personality.. to me being from Ireland.. the culture of the place basically says alcohol = a good time.

Ireland is world known for this kind of thinking.
I hear you! I'm Irish! I don't live in Ireland anymore but definitely agree it is a huge part of our culture!!!