Notices

a odd question on interlock

Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

a odd question on interlock

Ah was given 7 days to get the device. Was never told he had to make an appointment actually on one places website they said they took walk ins. . Ah didnt get paid until a few days ago goes in on the end of the 7 days and was told they had been booked solid all week
And he could schedule him in on a later day (pass the 7 days and on a work day/time)
Ah then calls another place ( the only one open on a weekend too that has the camera interlocks. Nobody answers. Call his lawyer. No answer/call back. Hasnt met his p.o yet either which is scheduled for another few weeks. Hes freaked out.
Anyone know the seriousness of this and/or been through it before?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Has he called the place that gave him these directions to ask for assistance? Have documents or a journal dated for each of these concerns? Maybe it's time to start doing what needs to be done to save himself.

Keep doing what can be done.

Peace,
~SB
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Did he have to register himself with someone saying he has to get one installed?

I had a similar experience when I had to get my interlock installed. I had to call an organization and register myself with them, then schedule an appointment to get it installed. I was given (I think) two weeks and I waited until the last day to get it installed, but was 'sick' (hungover) so I had to call the place I registered with and explain myself, then to reschedule with the place to get it installed. For me I ended up getting it installed 3 days after my last day to get it installed.

If he did have to register himself with some organization it would probably be best to call them and explain why it hasn't been installed, but first try as hard as possible to contact the lawyer to get legal advice. For me the company that installed my device faxed over the install information to the place I registered with. Even though those places work for the courts my place told me it doesn't interact with the courts meaning my place wouldn't tell the courts that it's not installed unless it was months overdue. But don't wait months, get it installed ASAP.

It's not his fault, IMO. It's not his fault he had to wait until he got paid to get it installed, and it's not his fault a place that takes walk-ins was booked. I doubt he has anything to worry about, just stress to him to not get pulled over because (at least here in NY) it's a misdemeanor to drive without one installed.

If he meets with his p.o before he has the chance to get it installed tell him to explain all the details as to why it's not installed. Like, he had to wait until he got paid to get it installed; that he found a place that accepts walk-ins but the were booked, and that he has been calling his lawyer and he hasn't heard back.

If he works fast enough to get it installed before he meets his p.o then he should be fine. The best course of action is to go back to the place that was booked and schedule an appointment. Those places know how quickly they have to get one installed and if he calls tomorrow to make an appointment I can almost guarantee he'll get it installed by the middle-to-end of the week, and before he meets with his p.o. But if the only time he can schedule an appoint is during work then it would probably be best for him to call in sick that day or leave early, if possible, and take the financial losses.

Those places that install them work with the courts and p.o officers but the also want to work with him to get it installed as quickly as possible so when he calls it would probably be best for him to tell him he is past the seven day limit that he was supposed to get it installed because the place was booked - something he has no control over - and they might be able to schedule him right away.

He has nothing to worry about. The only way to courts will know if it is installed or not is if he goes to his p.o and he doesn't have it installed (unless he had to register himself with someone and it goes months without getting it installed), but as you said he doesn't meet with the p.o for a few weeks, so if he gets it installed before that then he'll be fine.

But as I said, just make sure he doesn't get pulled over. Don't speed, make unsafe lane changes, etc.

Good luck. Having said all that, I live in NY and the laws differ from state-to-state.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm just wondering why HE isn't researching this. He's the one that has to get the interlock installed, not you. I'd let him figure it out.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I'm just wondering why HE isn't researching this. He's the one that has to get the interlock installed, not you.
He could be researching this. Who knows?!?

I'd let him figure it out.
If she's his wife or partner then IMO she had the obligation to help him figure out; whether it be though legal advice from a lawyer or an Internet forum. (Note: a forum isn't legal advice)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Wives and girlfriends have NO need nor obligation to take care of the male's business, sorry.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by aspired View Post
If she's his wife or partner then IMO she had the obligation to help him figure out; whether it be though legal advice from a lawyer or an Internet forum. (Note: a forum isn't legal advice)
No, the person who is responsible for having to get the interlock is the person responsible for figuring out how to get it installed. Partners of alcoholics do them no favors by "helping" with this sort of thing. I've been on both sides of alcoholic relationships. Doing the footwork to "help" the alcoholic with the natural consequences of their actions is not the partner's responsibility. It is a burden they do not deserve, and it ultimately is enabling behavior.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I recently had my awful alcohol device removed. I think in my state it is a automatic felony if someones gets caught driving without the device when they are required to. It's serious business. Of course, its also economic business. Also, when I had mine I figured out that if I wanted to drink & drive there was a way around the device. I could of also drove "high as a kite" and blown into the device fine. I was required to blow into it while I was driving even & felt like it was a serious danger on the road.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said hes doing the work when it pertains to this.
Im not doing it nor am I enabling him by asking this.
Hes been the one making the calls driving to the locations etc.
I only ask this because hes worried. He doesnt want his probation revoked etc.
I have assured him that itll be ok. Hes doing what he can and to just get it asap.
But because of how much hes worried I thought other experiences would help ...

No theres no organization other than the courts which stated on the sheets they gave him 7 days to
Get it. Hes not yet met his p.o and because hes never had an interlock that alone is confusing and new.
He could try to see if he could leave early but there are alot of things surrounding that like a late notice leave and they have to have someone on shift for security purposes.
Not to mention his last court date with the ruling he had to take off too and that alone caused issues at work. Hopefully he reaches his lawyer and gets the whole thing worked out but its been two days with
No call back and hes just stressed and worried.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

So to sum it up.
Lawyer not responding back.
P.o not met with yet.
Interlock places booked.
Ah is the one doing the work
Ah has a job to do
Had to wait to get paid
Was never informed to make appointment or what to do other than confusing paperwork
Me nor ah have any experience with interlock etc
And no organization just court and court papers.
Although he does have to register at a place ( I guess organization)
For an offender card but thats not till he meets his p.o
I am not holding his hand making decisions or helping him.
I am simply asking a question that cannot be found online anywhere.
That his lawyer isnt responding too and that the three other places hes contacted couldn't
Help with. Thats all and again thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Has he called the place that gave him these directions to ask for assistance? Have documents or a journal dated for each of these concerns? Maybe it's time to start doing what needs to be done to save himself.

Keep doing what can be done.

Peace,
~SB

Thats a good idea. The guy at the interlock did give ah his card and told him to give it to his p.o
For any concerns saying that the situation was weird and that theyve been fully fully booked.
Even the day they gave him for an appointment the tech guy said he "may" be able to schedule him in. Thats how booked they are.
Hopefully we are running around in circles and the paper says 7 days from p.o appointment.
Instead 7 days from court and/or they understand but all it says is no later than 7 days signed the day of court. like said We just dont know havent done it before. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

thislonely, this does not surprise me that they give him little information. I had to make many calls to my lawyer to get advise about things pertaining to the device. Calling the Secretary of State never provided me with information. His lawyer will be the best person to get info from. The attorney will have his best options while the State or his probation officer will not.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would book the appointment and call the PO and let them know what is going on.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

While I disagree with sugarbear and lexiecat I don't want to argue that point.

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I was required to blow into it while I was driving even & felt like it was a serious danger on the road.
I felt the same way. During the random tests while driving I was often in heavy traffic and I had to divert my attention from driving to the device. I had mine installed during the winter and it snows a lot here and I'm the guy driving white knuckled with just a dust of snow on the roads. I actually ended up running into a curb during a heavy snow fall wrecking my right tire's control arm while doing a rolling test.

Word of advice for him. When he does get it installed tell him not to use mouth wash for at least a half hour before he drives. I failed a few tests because I was in a hurry to get to work, brushed my teeth and rinsed my mouth, got in and blew into the device, failing the test and locking it out for 15 minutes.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=aspired;3823661]While I disagree with sugarbear and lexiecat I don't want to argue that point.
I felt the same way. During the random tests while driving I was often in heavy traffic and I had to divert my attention from driving to the device. I had mine installed during the winter and it snows a lot here and I'm the guy driving white knuckled with just a dust of snow on the roads. I actually ended up running into a curb during a heavy snow fall wrecking my right tire's control arm while doing a rolling test.

People would have to drive with it for a year to really understand how dangerous the device is. I considered filing a class action law suit but decided against it. I feel it's just society & the courts seeking revenge against the drunk on the road.