Notices

substituting the alcoholic drink with???????

Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

substituting the alcoholic drink with???????

hay every one i have a question for you. i have been here and sober for 11 weeks and 2 days. some activities i did i had a drink before, during or/and after. for me like mowing my lawn, riding my dirt bike, hard day at work, especially cooking ect ect and have a beer or vodka drinks. now i replace it with spicy coffee like starbucks, or ice tea with lemon. i wonder if this the alcoholic thirst in me will always be thirsty. do you replace it, if so with what?
thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Coffee, coffee, and more coffee! I throw Diet Coke in there too. I'm trying to be a little more realistic about my caffiene intake so trying flavored sparkling water. Pink grapefruit is my newest. I'm almost three months and with each passing day the desire to taste alcohol is less. I actually passed the beer isle today at grocery store and said gross outloud! I even suprised myself!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was a beer drinker so I replaced it with sparkling water, usually with elderflower or lime. I am definitely a thirsty person even if there's no booze in it.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

filtered water. sometimes with lemon.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Coffee and I have recently gotten into teas.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Caffeine and lots of it. I am worried that I want to alter my mood with copious amounts of it at times and have to cut back. Also, lots of black teas in every flavor I can find lately.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee (yes, it's been four cups lately).

And lots of sparkling water, the generic is fine. Mix with juice, on the rocks, and/or with a twist.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Robgt, anything but alcohol.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I could not cook dinner without drinking whiskey. For the last year or so it kind of became my own cooking drinking game. If I was cooking that night I would buy a couple pints and see if I could finish them before I cooked the meal. I would always make myself finish the pints before I could eat. My girlfriend would be eating in the other room and I'd be around the corner polishing off the second bottle before I'd join her. After dinner I'd usually have a six pack for dessert.... Now I drink sparkling water and tea while I cook.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Green tea.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This tends to come late at night for me (almost never drank in the daytime) and thus I need to avoid caffeine so I can sleep.

So far its been hot malted milk, but I'm not settled on that yet, am going to try decaf tea and decaf coffee and see how these go.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
hay every one i have a question for you. i have been here and sober for 11 weeks and 2 days. some activities i did i had a drink before, during or/and after. for me like mowing my lawn, riding my dirt bike, hard day at work, especially cooking ect ect and have a beer or vodka drinks. now i replace it with spicy coffee like starbucks, or ice tea with lemon. i wonder if this the alcoholic thirst in me will always be thirsty. do you replace it, if so with what?
thanks!
Organic Carrot Juice, Welch's Grape juice, purple and white grape peach,
Apple juice from Washington, Orange juice from Florida, Black Cherry 100%, Herbal Teas, Jasmine Green with passionfruit, Dandelion Tea, Water!

I also like Folgers Half Caffeine, with Hazelnut Coffeemate and skim milk.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do tend to go in for alot of soft drinks, but what I find really helpful is re-engaging in old interests and hobbies (drinking seemed to push them to the back burner), staying actively engaged in support groups, and santimonious as it may sound, volunteering for community worrk. Quitting drinking frees up a lot of time, I find All the best, rick
Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I think the need for some sort of replacement tapers off after a while. I drink coffee and water most days, but at some point came to realize I didn't HAVE to drink anything unless I was thirsty.. novel idea huh?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

In the beginning, I didn't so much replace my drinking with water, because I drank a lot of water when I was drinking wine daily. What I did though was drink water from a wine glass. It seems odd, but in some ways helped me psychologically, especially during (American) football season.

Now I rarely use a wine glass unless I am making up a nice dinner table and others are having wine. I also use a Bordeaux glass and simply fill it with water.

There is something about stemware that makes a table look nice.

--
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Coffee in the morning (until noon) and pepsi lite - oh, sorry, did I say that - diet pepsi the rest of the day.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

La Croix sparkling water. I have 10 12-packs in my garage right now. Yummy flavors, lemon, lime, orange, cranberry, berry, pamplemousse, pear/pear. I'm having one right now! They are also great cut 1/2 with juices for a sparkle.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I drink O'Douls - I know that's controversial but its what I drink when I'm "thirsty" . otherwise its Coffee, Diet Coke and Fresca.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I drink an endless supply of coffee and energy drinks. They both give me energy and taste better than the straight alcohol I use to drink. I would highly recommend switching to these drinks. They keep you excited and energetic in your recovery. They will keep you from becoming bored. It is also good to have these drinks when your in a drinking situation. For me it makes me feel like I fit in. Even though the drinks might not have alcohol it still gives me a sense of belonging.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I drink water, coffee, tea and plankton punch.