Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The Question of Anti-Depressants --Life after Sobriety

Notices

The Question of Anti-Depressants --Life after Sobriety

Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question The Question of Anti-Depressants --Life after Sobriety

Hi Guy's,

I have read many posts lately about the continued depression/anxiety after an alcoholic quit's drinking. Some seem to continue to deal with these feelings without seeking medical evaluation, and some seem to be prescribed quick fixes Such as benzo's.

Please know this , I am not a doctor and would never presume to second guess an individuals medical advice from their own physician. However I had found after I quit, the same feeling of anxiety and depression that I used alcohol to control was still with me.

In my case I sought the assistance of my general doctor in evaluating the possibility of a deeper mental disorder such as depression. I was given anti-depressants, and worked with my GP and psychologist in finding the right combo, and was tested to maintain my blood levels for effectiveness.

Frankly at that time it was already being suggested that alcoholism and brain chemical imbalances worked hand and hand in many instances. Meaning we
drink to medicate an existing chemical imbalance such as --generalized anxiety, depression (major and minor), bi-polar, ADHD, and many others.

How do some of you feel about this correlation ? Do you agree with the possibility that anti-depressants may be the way to go during the first year or so of sobriety?

I felt this was one of the things that allowed me to circumvent re-lapse--they kept me stable enough to not need any alcohol . For me at least this seemed to be a life saver--Just sayin!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think many people, when getting sober, fail to address existing psychological and physiological condtions that, if untreated, could lead to relapse.

If you are several months sober and are feeling miserable, something is wrong and needs to be addressed.

Sometimes the disorder is spiritual.

In most cases, quitting drinking is just step one of a recovery process. If you don't progress to steps two, three, and beyond, the likelihood of failure becomes greater. None of the avenues of healing should be ignored.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think many people believe they can quit drinking and their life will get better. In most cases it gets worse. Yes, there are things within us that led us to our drinking problems, but another chemical does not have to be the solution. Our brain chemistry is affected by many things, and medication is not the only answer to regaining balance. It is however the easiest, so it's become the most popular. I speak from an enormous amount of personal experience with this. Panic, anxiety, alcoholism, and depression can all be treated without medication, but an open mind and willingness are also required. Medication IMO should be an absolute last resource. It's almost always now offered as the first option, and taken by most its offered offered to. I find that sad.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I think many people believe they can quit drinking and their life will get better. In most cases it gets worse. Yes, there are things within us that led us to our drinking problems, but another chemical does not have to be the solution. Our brain chemistry is affected by many things, and medication is not the only answer to regaining balance. It is however the easiest, so it's become the most popular. I speak from an enormous amount of personal experience with this. Panic, anxiety, alcoholism, and depression can all be treated without medication, but an open mind and willingness are also required. Medication IMO should be an absolute last resource. It's almost always now offered as the first option, and taken by most its offered offered to. I find that sad.
Hi Joe,

I am one who took the easy way out and went on antidepressants . Thought I could take them to get thought the stress of quitting and the depression that followed. Found out after trying to come off them, I had a chemical imbalance that made me need these indefinitely--have been on them 20 years--periodically have tried going off them, but OMG--it wasn't pretty.

So I guess I am one of those who believe they have helped me tremendously.

How have you gotten through your low times ?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have yet to meet an alcoholic who was not depressed and/or anxious after quitting. These feelings drove me to drink. My internal condition was the problem not the alcohol. When I addressed these feelings with a psychiatrist, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiet disorder. Based on what I told her, this was an accurate diagnosis. The problem is IMO that spiriutal illness looks exactly like depression and/or anxiety. Its how it manifests itself. When I took action to treat my depression and anxiety along a spiritual plane with the 12 steps rather than with chemicals, my life got a lot better. 3 months in to sobriety I was weane off of my meds under doctors supervision and have not experienced depression or anxiety since.
I have no doubt that clinical depression and anxiety are very real conditions. I just feel that for many folks in early recovery these things seem to be the problem when really its a matter of untreated alcoholism or addicition.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

Sometimes the disorder is spiritual.
Other than, or in addition to, going to AA, I'm curious what everyone thinks are ways to deal with this? Do you just go to many different churches and see what fits? (Which is terrifying to me). Or research different religions online or in books? Or what have others done?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
Hi Joe,

I am one who took the easy way out and went on antidepressants . Thought I could take them to get thought the stress of quitting and the depression that followed. Found out after trying to come off them, I had a chemical imbalance that made me need these indefinitely--have been on them 20 years--periodically have tried going off them, but OMG--it wasn't pretty.

So I guess I am one of those who believe they have helped me tremendously.

How have you gotten through your low times ?
One might argue that the 20 years on them has caused the imbalance, or at least a dependency... But truth is that the best scientists couldn't prove nor disprove that. It's all still a lot of experimentation and guesswork, and I prefer that to not be done with my brain. I'm happy that its working for you, just not the path I choose to go down. And I've been there.

As for what works for me, I agree with Carl regarding the spiritual malady. And that doesn't mean for me a disconnect with "god", but rather a very misaligned spirit that can be made healthier in many different ways.

I also found that chemically, processed sugar wreaks havoc on my body and mind. It's poison. Eliminating that changes my brain chemistry probably more than medication would.

There are a number of things I do to keep me afloat when depression comes to visit, but its tough to elaborate cuz I'm at work and shouldn't really be doin this . Getting out of my own head by being of service is incredibly beneficial. Being involved in AA is a great resource for that.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I speak from an enormous amount of personal experience with this. Panic, anxiety, alcoholism, and depression can all be treated without medication, but an open mind and willingness are also required. Medication IMO should be an absolute last resource.
What are the other options?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think taking antidepressants is a quick fix or an easy way out.

I had depression since my teens but it took me years to recognize it and to seek a drs help. I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and the antidepressant helps to correct that. I now feel like I have the same playing field as others. I still have bad days and bad weeks, but, it's never the endless black depth of despair that it used to be. I still have to work at staying positive at times, just like everyone does. I have been taking the medication for about 13 years now and don't plan to stop. The one thing that could lead me back to drinking is sliding into the blackness again, and I won't let that happen.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Other than, or in addition to, going to AA, I'm curious what everyone thinks are ways to deal with this? Do you just go to many different churches and see what fits? (Which is terrifying to me). Or research different religions online or in books? Or what have others done?
If you have a belief in any kind of power in the universe higher than yourself the best start is to ask that power for direction. IMO. For many that works through prayer, regardless of how silly prayer might seem for some.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I don't think taking antidepressants is a quick fix or an easy way out.

I had depression since my teens but it took me years to recognize it and to seek a drs help. I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and the antidepressant helps to correct that. I now feel like I have the same playing field as others. I still have bad days and bad weeks, but, it's never the endless black depth of despair that it used to be. I still have to work at staying positive at times, just like everyone does. I have been taking the medication for about 13 years now and don't plan to stop. The one thing that could lead me back to drinking is sliding into the blackness again, and I won't let that happen.
I agree with Anna's statements above. I am on anti-depressants currently and would definitely not consider them a "quick fix" or an "easy way out" of anything. I have dealt with rashes, insomnia, vanishing sex drive, mood swings, bone crushing fatigue, weight loss, weight gain, expensive copays and a serious allergic reaction on the road to finding the right medication for me. Now that I have, I can see it makes a world of difference - for me - and that I would not be functioning on the level that I am without them. Will they be something I need for life - I don't know at this point. And I still have to work hard at staying positive, finding joy, keeping sober, same as everyone else. But the anti-d's keep me from sinking so low that no program or help could reach me. I recognize they are not for everyone but for me, the improvement is amazing, palpable, and necessary.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jkb

TrixMixer-
Nice thread. I dont have depression but, I do have a panic disorder and PTSD. I was on high doses of benzos for two years. Getting off of them was one of the most horrific and terrifying experiences of my life. I was told by my doctor I would be on them daily for the rest of my life. Well, I no longer take them daily but, I would take one if needed for panic attacks. I have considered how they affect sobriety but, I dont think when used properly that they do. This is just my opinion. When I was taking them daily I did not consider myself sober.
Anti-D's however are in no way addictive and I think certain people really do need them. Anyway, just my 2 cents... jkb
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I enjoy the freedom I feel knowing that my happiness and peace of mind is not dependent on a pill. I feel I would have never gotten over my panic and phobias had I been medicated. I was completely hopeless and unable to function, yet fortunate enough to be put on a path that didn't include medication. Life isn't easy. I struggle at times, yet I have a very colorful range of emotions. The few times I tried meds those vivid colors became pastel. I cant/wont settle for that.

If I were offered medication in early sobriety I would have welcomed it. My posts aren't a judgement on anyone here. I do believe there are better routes for people to take, and for anyone not already on meds I think it's foolish not to try anything and everything else first.

The first time I was convinced by a therapist to go to a psychiatrist, the doctor prescribed 3 medications, one of which was for sleep. I wasn't having a problem sleeping and when I stated this his response was, "who's the doctor, you or me?" I don't have to tell you what followed.

Just stating my thoughts and experience. I know they differ from many and I hope theatre not coming off as insensitive. Got a lot goin on around me as I'm typing.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
jkb

I enjoy the freedom I feel knowing that my happiness and peace of mind is not dependent on a pill. I feel I would have never gotten over my panic and phobias had I been medicated. I was completely hopeless and unable to function, yet fortunate enough to be put on a path that didn't include medication. Life isn't easy. I struggle at times, yet I have a very colorful range of emotions. The few times I tried meds those vivid colors became pastel. I cant/wont settle for that.

If I were offered medication in early sobriety I would have welcomed it. My posts aren't a judgement on anyone here. I do believe there are better routes for people to take, and for anyone not already on meds I think it's foolish not to try anything and everything else first.

The first time I was convinced by a therapist to go to a psychiatrist, the doctor prescribed 3 medications, one of which was for sleep. I wasn't having a problem sleeping and when I stated this his response was, "who's the doctor, you or me?" I don't have to tell you what followed.

Just stating my thoughts and experience. I know they differ from many and I hope theatre not coming off as insensitive. Got a lot goin on around me as I'm typing.
From my experience sometimes you have to deal with the issues on your own and sometimes you do need a pill to restore what is happening in your brain. Without anti depressants some people really are too depressed to deal with anything else. For me it was not a "deal with it" type of issue. I had full blown PTSD and outright panic attacks that I could not have dealt with at the time. I have learned how to deal with them better and most of the time I dont need a pill but, I am really glad to know they are there.... I hope that makes sense.
P.S. I dont think you are being insensitive and I hope you dont feel as if I am attacking you. Jess
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jkb View Post
P.S. I dont think you are being insensitive and I hope you dont feel as if I am attacking you. Jess
Thanks. I don't feel attacked at all.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

How do some of you feel about this correlation ? Do you agree with the possibility that anti-depressants may be the way to go during the first year or so of sobriety?
The correlation is known as comorbidity or dual-diagnosis. It is mentioned in the AA "Big Book" from 1939 ("The age old question in AA is, which came first, the neurosis or the alcoholism.") (4th ed., p. 221). There are treatment programs that specialize in dual-diagnosis recovery.

It is up to you and your doctor to decide if anti-depressants are right, and maybe take them for longer than a year. Since some of these medications take months to start working, and since one might not work and you have to try another, experiment with dose levels and time of day--it can actually take years to get things right.

Funny you mention this, since it is what I talked about at our "Monday Mindfulness" agnostic AA meeting last night.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

...I have read many posts lately about the continued depression/anxiety after an alcoholic quit's drinking. Some seem to continue to deal with these feelings without seeking medical evaluation, and some seem to be prescribed quick fixes Such as benzo's.

Please know this , I am not a doctor and would never presume to second guess an individuals medical advice from their own physician...
Have you ever dealt with a flashback? Do you know what it is like to relive something to the point of being able to taste, smell, feel, and see the events over and over and over and over again? Do you know what it is like when you can't trust your mind because it overlaps past events with present ones? Do you have any idea how anxiety producing those events are? How they leave your knees literally weak. How you feel you are a fish out of water and can't seem to catch your breath. How every emotion in the world seems to strangle you at once? Then the rage hits you and that is indescribable. Then on top of that you don't sleep at night because you know when you do sleep you will wake up in a night terror which is a waking nightmare so for days on end you just don't sleep.

If you have not then don't judge me or anyone else for taking benzo's as prescribed to help deal with these or any other events. They are definitely not the easy way out or a quick fix because that would be a gun to my head. The hard way is to keep putting one foot in front of the other, take the meds as needed and hang in there until some solution can actually be found. Unless you walk in someone elses shoes you have no right to make snap judgements about them or the medications they utilize in their mental health recovery. As you say you are not a doctor and even if you were even a doctor would be wise enough not to try and diagnose anyone via these recovery boards.

In my case I sought the assistance of my general doctor in evaluating the possibility of a deeper mental disorder such as depression. I was given anti-depressants, and worked with my GP and psychologist in finding the right combo, and was tested to maintain my blood levels for effectiveness.

Frankly at that time it was already being suggested that alcoholism and brain chemical imbalances worked hand and hand in many instances. Meaning we
drink to medicate an existing chemical imbalance such as --generalized anxiety, depression (major and minor), bi-polar, ADHD, and many others.

I felt this was one of the things that allowed me to circumvent re-lapse--they kept me stable enough to not need any alcohol . For me at least this seemed to be a life saver--Just sayin!
The idea of "self-medicating" with alcohol has been around for a number of years. It is a popular theory with many in recovery. For many it may be quite true. I do believe it is common for alcoholics to self-medicate to relieve situational and mild depression. Personally, I was not on anti-depressants the first year of sobriety. For me that was a good thing because it forced me to learn to utilize the tools of the recovery program I had found which did relieve me of the situational depression and still do to this day. When mental health problems were still present beyond that I sought outside help and have been on a variety of medications since. Currently I am not on any SSRI's or typical antidepressants. But that is because after years of being on them I finally learned to stand up and be a partner in my health care and got the doctors to listen that they were not working which in turn led the doctors to find the root cause of my mental health illnesses which are PTSD and TBI. So now I am being treated with antiseizure medications and blood pressure meds along with the benzo for breakthrough flashbacks.

I personally think that most people who are trying to quit drinking are dealing with some depression because alcohol is a depressant. Once the alcohol is gone though I think that it is healthy to seek outside help when needed if one is still dealing with serious mental health illnesses which of course only a doctor is really qualified to determine. This is of course a very personal decision for each person. Everyone is unique with their own unique set of problems they bring to the table. What works for one person may not work for the next. That is why it is important that each person learns to be a strong advocate for them self with their doctor if they choose to seek outside help. Be willing to question the treatment your doctor is prescribing, ask him/her about it, ask about alternative treatments, find out what the next course of action is if this treatment fails, if you are having side effects talk to your doctor, do your own research and talk to your doctor about it, utilize non medication therapies such as yoga and meditation, utilize CBT/EMRD/group therapy or any of the many therapist led therapies available, etc.... Any doctor worth their salt with not be insulted by questions and will be more than happy to work with you to find what works best for you as an individual.

To answer your question no, I personally do not think that everyone should try antidepressants while trying to stop drinking because of the simple fact that each of us is unique and many will find that the tools of their recovery program will relieve their depression. But I also believe that everyone should feel free to seek outside help if they feel they need it without judgment from those in their program of recovery. For many this is a life or death issue. I know for me it comes down to what is the point of being sober if I am just going to be dead from suicide if I don't get the mental health help I need.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Interesting thread.I'm on day 66 and feel pretty depressed. I'm reluctant to go to doc and get anti-ds.Been on them before and found them numbing rather than uplifting.

I know many people on SR suggest AA. It may be too simplistic a question but are people who are in AA less likely to use anti-ds because they have a spiritual cure? Has anyone done both. Will AA really make me feel so much better that I won't feel depressed? Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's a very good question and topic Trix.

I replied and then started to upset myself so ended up writing one hundred miles per hour about things...

I've put my reply in a blog. As it's not really a reasoned and calmed response. Grand Prix mind and fingers took over! It's not a blog either, it's just my reply and my experience
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

But. I do think I can get by without anti depressants now