Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The Question of Anti-Depressants --Life after Sobriety

Notices

The Question of Anti-Depressants --Life after Sobriety

Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
jkb

Mtn-
Read your blog/reply. It seems you had a terrible time and I am sorry. I cannot take anitdepressants. You know how the warnings on the commercials say "...if you become agitated or angry.." well I tried to strangle my boyfriend once in his sleep (and me half asleep) while taking zoloft. The benzos on the other hand.. well I dont know Panic Attacks are rough....Psch drugs in general are unpredictable. jkb
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Interesting thread.I'm on day 66 and feel pretty depressed. I'm reluctant to go to doc and get anti-ds.Been on them before and found them numbing rather than uplifting.

I know many people on SR suggest AA. It may be too simplistic a question but are people who are in AA less likely to use anti-ds because they have a spiritual cure? Has anyone done both. Will AA really make me feel so much better that I won't feel depressed? Thanks
I cant speak for everyone, but I personally have never met someone whose life did not improve greatly after applying the 12 steps to their life.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I utilize both. I don't necessarily feel a difference but my husband can tell within a few days of my stopping them. He'll comment that something isn't right. So for now, I'll continue.
As for AA, I too feel that anyone truly working the steps will have an improved mental state. I sure do.
Ultimately, if I had to give up one, the pills would be out. AA is part of my life forever.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jkb View Post
Mtn-
Read your blog/reply. It seems you had a terrible time and I am sorry. I cannot take anitdepressants. You know how the warnings on the commercials say "...if you become agitated or angry.." well I tried to strangle my boyfriend once in his sleep (and me half asleep) while taking zoloft. The benzos on the other hand.. well I dont know Panic Attacks are rough....Psch drugs in general are unpredictable. jkb
Luckily here, we don't get commercials as we can only get medicine prescribed by a doctor. I say luckily as if I were in a position to self medicate that way I could not see it ending well.

With regards to the other posts. I think peace of mind can be achieved without AA or indeed AD's. It may not look like that from my last post (blog) but it's something that has been dealt with. I've had counselling (good) psychotherapy (bad) and CBT (very good) throughout the course of my lifetime and I build on those. I'm also an old hippy. I take joy in the sunrise and the sunset, I appreciate the spring, the autumn, the seasons and all that comes with them.

I'm learning from friends here how to stop the Grand Prix that is my mind and centre and relax... (just writing those words has given me pause to (not) think)

I'm quietly confident that I can achieve contentment with my life.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I don't think taking antidepressants is a quick fix or an easy way out.

I had depression since my teens but it took me years to recognize it and to seek a drs help. I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and the antidepressant helps to correct that. I now feel like I have the same playing field as others. I still have bad days and bad weeks, but, it's never the endless black depth of despair that it used to be. I still have to work at staying positive at times, just like everyone does. I have been taking the medication for about 13 years now and don't plan to stop. The one thing that could lead me back to drinking is sliding into the blackness again, and I won't let that happen.
Thank You was not enough, Anna!

I hate when people go all "Scientology" on you. Like antidepressant's are evil. I would not be alive today if it were not for my wonderful doctor working with me to find the right drug.

Some people do not need therm, agreed, but they are lifesavers for others.
Thank you for your input, I would not have said it as well.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
If you have a belief in any kind of power in the universe higher than yourself the best start is to ask that power for direction. IMO. For many that works through prayer, regardless of how silly prayer might seem for some.
Prayer does not seem silly to me, but as you said, to some it is. What would you suggest someone who is not spiritual do in place of seeking medical help--and not Benzo's?

....and let me ask you this if you have appendicitis and within 74 hours your appendix will burst if it is not removed--would you tell that person prayer will correct that problem? My point being, for some , they have a bad appendix (chemical imbalance) and no amount of prayer is going to help relieve that problem. Sometimes prayer is not enough. I feel we should at least keep an open mind when it comes to anti-depressants to correct what prayer alone cannot.

Would you agree?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by jkb View Post
I tried to strangle my boyfriend once in his sleep (and me half asleep) while taking zoloft.
You show a sober date of 2-2-2013. Do you think your addiction affected the Zoloft and your behaviour?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
Prayer does not seem silly to me, but as you said, to some it is. What would you suggest someone who is not spiritual do in place of seeking medical help--and not Benzo's?

....and let me ask you this if you have appendicitis and within 74 hours your appendix will burst if it is not removed--would you tell that person prayer will correct that problem? My point being, for some , they have a bad appendix (chemical imbalance) and no amount of prayer is going to help relieve that problem. Sometimes prayer is not enough. I feel we should at least keep an open mind when it comes to anti-depressants to correct what prayer alone cannot.

Would you agree?
It doesn't have to be all or nothing for everybody.

Some people, I thought I was going to be one of those and resigned myself to it - AD's for life. Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with prayer either (I don't pray)

Nothing wrong with trying all of the above and a healthy lifestyle plus counselling.

I'm 37 and have just experienced my first meditation experience. If I knew now what I did when I was 18...

Everybody is different.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post

Would you agree?
That's a tough one. For many reasons. A lot of other ailments and diseases are much more clearly defined. Removing ones appendix will absolutely solve the problem, nobody will debate it... But the antidepressant thing isn't as clear cut. People talk a lot about chemical imbalances, but no psychiatrist I ever went to checked my brain chemistry. Nor anyone else I know who's on ADs. There's a ton of guesswork involved, and I truly believe a huge percentage of people who believe they need antidepressants, could find other, more healthy alternatives. That doesn't apply to everyone, but it applies to many. And I don't think our society is becoming healthier because of these scientific advance, I believe it's becoming more dependent... And I believe it has a lot of other negative effects I won't get into.

My conviction with all this again comes from a great deal of personal experience. I've known panic that is truly indescribable, and depression that nothing in the outer world could possibly fix. I was a completely useless being who couldn't get to the corner store to buy a quart of beer to get off the couch. I literally cried and begged my brother to do this for me.

I have recovered from that. I'm completely free, and while it took more than a year, I'm sure it would have been much longer had I been medicated. There are things I don't have time to get into that would have been impossible on medication.

There are also lots of things outside the idea of "god" that I could write about, but not now. Will elaborate when time allows...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this thread will work best if we stick to our experience and keep away from hypotheticals and opinions on what others should do...the latter will almost certainly impinge on the no medical advice rule.

Thanks
D
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think this thread will work best if we stick to our experience and keep away from hypotheticals and opinions on what others should do...the latter will almost certainly impinge on the no medical advice rule.

Thanks
D
My apologies for somewhat crossing that line... Will stay out of this until I'm in a setting where I can more thoughtfully respond.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
You show a sober date of 2-2-2013. Do you think your addiction affected the Zoloft and your behaviour?
Well...idk... that was two years ago... I never took an anti-d again. I was one of those peolple who reacted VERY badly to them. However, I never needed them again either thankfully. I am a pretty optomistic type by nature. At the time I had just dealt with a "traumatic incident" and the depression was very situational. I know a lot of people who take them and they do help. A close friend of mine (in recovery for 8 years now) swears that anitdepressants saved his life and I believe him.