Notices
View Poll Results: What shade are your eyes?
Light - eg blue, green, hazel etc
75.23%
Dark - eg brown
24.77%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

What colour eyes do you have?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I have blue, I had a problem with drink from the age of 20 till 4 and a bit years ago I'm 33 soon xx
Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Eye color in my family is pretty strange. Mine and my mom's eyes used to be blue, then turned more green in adulthood. My dad's are hazel.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I also fail to see anything silly about the idea. Eye color has been shown to correlate with lower reaction to some other chemicals, and they posit that it be the same for alcohol. I don't have the background in biochemistry necessary to evaluate that claim.

Our informal poll shows that light eyes have a higher incidence in our sample than in the general populations it is (primarily) taken from, so clearly there is correlation between having light eyes and posting on the alcoholism sub-forum of SR. Anything else is interpretation.

Incidentally, my eyes are brown and golden around the edges.

Originally Posted by john44
It's simply saying that eye color can indicate membership in a genetic group that has more or less experience with alcohol than other groups i.e. light-eyed northern europeans have much less experience with alcohol than people of mediterranean or middle eastern descent and thus higher rates of alcoholism.
I'd be careful with that argument.

Populations that haven't been exposed to alcohol do have a more violent biological reaction to it, but there's a lot more going on than that. For instance, alcohol has been produced in southern France for as long as people have lived there, but alcoholism was still a major problem up until the early 20th century.

For that matter, there is evidence of wine-making in my home country going back to the late neolithic, but alcoholism is still a huge problem, especially in the countryside.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Blue
Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Someguy23 View Post
I also fail to see anything silly about the idea. Eye color has been shown to correlate with lower reaction to some other chemicals, and they posit that it be the same for alcohol. I don't have the background in biochemistry necessary to evaluate that claim.
Agreed. There are also reports that people with lighter colored eyes are more sensitive to pain than those whose eyes are darker- I can definitely see how that could correlate with higher levels of addiction.

And I have brown eyes.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm Scottish/Irish with brown eyes, dark brown hair that was initially red at birth, an addiction....oh, and a poor pain threshhold! Go figure!!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I have brown eyes! Most of you have light on here!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

My eyes are two different colors. One is a gray-green and the other is a brown green. I don't know if that predisposed me to my alcoholism, but apparently it did predispose me to eye cancer in 2010. Nobody knows why melanoma of the eye strikes--it's pretty rare--but it often hits the browner eye of people with two-colored eyes. Sure enough! They did radiation for four days and saved the eye and much of my eyesight, thank God.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
My eyes are two different colors. One is a gray-green and the other is a brown green. I don't know if that predisposed me to my alcoholism, but apparently it did predispose me to eye cancer in 2010. Nobody knows why melanoma of the eye strikes--it's pretty rare--but it often hits the browner eye of people with two-colored eyes. Sure enough! They did radiation for four days and saved the eye and much of my eyesight, thank God.
Wow, that's awful! Great that your eye (and eyesight) were spared. I've never heard of melanoma of the eye.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
My eyes are two different colors as well. One is blue, and the other is a blue/green with a brown spec in it. It appears one is blue and the other is green most of the time. Wonderful that you beat the C.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

My eyes were blue until about the age of 7, when they turned green. I have pictures to prove this oddity. Since then, they have been very green. (I am 35 now). When I am sober and in good health, I get a lot of compliments on them.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Zee

My eyes are 3 colours... grey on the outside, green in the middle, then light brown on the inside, in the sunlight, they are quite remarkable (even if i do say so myself)
However, when I was drinking, they were mainly red
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I don't know I am seeing impaired. My computer is braille.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Kidding!!!!!

Dark Blue, I saw the coolest service dog the other day for this lovely woman who was legally blind. She had blue eyes, the dog had brown eyes, in case you were wondering.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
happy cleaning windows

My eye color is pretty well mixed. The doctor calls them hazel but they go grey-blue-green-brown-amber from the outside of the iris in, more or less.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Sober Alkie

People with dark eyes look like they are on acid. Check it out next time. Get real close and stare into their eyes....total trip going on in there.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Mine are a violety blue.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by TandoSt View Post
My eye color is pretty well mixed. The doctor calls them hazel but they go grey-blue-green-brown-amber from the outside of the iris in, more or less.
Same here but I guess they would look medium brown
When I get very angry or very sad they turn green
Old 11-29-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Deeker, you had me going on that one!

Mine are blue, my recovering ABF has brown.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Dark brown. Almost black though I'm white. Had natural childbirth and didn't really think it hurt, so I guess I have a high pain tolerance. But I also have a very high tolerance to chemicals. Most psych meds don't work on me, such as sleeping pills. And it takes a lot to get me drunk.