Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

My Quitting Log (was Heart Rate/BP - When to be concerned during withdrawal)

Notices

My Quitting Log (was Heart Rate/BP - When to be concerned during withdrawal)

Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update it's nice to know you're ok. While you didn't get a hospital and doctor at least you got some medical treatment and it seems to have worked. I hope you will stay sober but if you ever fall off the wagon then remember to get medical help because once you've had a bad withdrawal like this you are much more likely to have another, even worse one. Look up kindling for more information.

The people here on SR are just great, log in regularly if you can to get some support or read some stories.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
jkb

Notsosober-
Really glad to hear your ok. And glad you got some meds. They can be a real lifesaver. jkb
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Still having to take BP meds and this is day 5.. I have however been able to take a lesser dosage. Face is still red and I still get hot flashes from time to time. Have periods of anxiety especially around the time I used to begin drinking. I've been trying to stay busy but I don't have the energy to do much. But overall, I'm extremely happy. I'm determined to keep it up.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notsosober View Post
Still having to take BP meds and this is day 5.. I have however been able to take a lesser dosage. Face is still red and I still get hot flashes from time to time. Have periods of anxiety especially around the time I used to begin drinking. I've been trying to stay busy but I don't have the energy to do much. But overall, I'm extremely happy. I'm determined to keep it up.
Anxiety is a very common symptom during acute withdrawl, usually you'll have it on and off for the first couple of weeks then it should die down. If it continues then you should see a doctor as you might have been self medicating an anxiety problem.

Good to hear your BP is under control and you have been able to move to a reduced dose. Give it time and lots of these problems will no doubt clear up and you should see a big improvement in your health.

Well done.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Aside from having to remember to keep my blood sugar up I'm feeling almost normal today. I had to hush the voice in my head that says "you were not an alcoholic, see how easy it was to quit!" ..Fortunately, I had medication (still taking BP meds albeit 1/2 the dosage I started on and it's staying stable) and a very understanding/loving family to help me along the way. I'm trying not to fool myself as those things did help take the edge off. Regardless, I may not have been a severe alcoholic but I was WELL on my way..The voice of doubt is all the evidence I need.

Pros from today:
  1. Looks like I've lost 10lbs from lost stomach bloat alone
  2. vision clarity has returned to almost normal
  3. was able to lay some Valentine's Day smooches on my honey without having to worry about her smelling the alcohol on my breathe
  4. was able to DRIVE my dog to the vet and was also able to go out to eat with my Grandfather.

Things to keep me strong:
  1. Long road trip from Florida to Kentucky coming up:
  2. Keep the feeling of NEEDING a drink away from you so you can enjoy the trip. Avoid spending money on alcohol so you can maximize amount of cash available for fun!
  3. Avoid the calories from alcohol and maybe lose a few pounds before you unveil your wintertime beer belly at the beach lol.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

ONE WEEK SOBER! FEEL FANTASTIC! BP is still up however.. trying to avoid being bored. That is my #1 biggest trigger. Hard to avoid that when you are recently unemployed and live in the sticks!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

are there any volunteering opportunities near you NSS?
That was a great way for me to get out of the house and keep occupied

D
Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

I know when I arrived at the hospital ER , and it was the beginning of day 2..

At a full rest my BP was 189/156 with a HR of 132 bpm.

Glad to hear you got some meds, I did also, and am still on them over a year later.. Saved my life..

I didnt think I could live without drinking, come to really find out I cant live with it..

I wouldnt trade my sober life today for nothing.. Keep going strong..
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've almost made it an entire month without drinking. I've had half a pint in my bedroom for nearly 2 weeks and haven't touched it. It's all quite an accomplishment for me. My ability to sleep has returned and my BP finally reached a healthy range (without medication) for the first time in well over a year. I love having the energy to live life again.

I still have, and I imagine I always will, the urge to drink..I will allow myself to drink in moderation in the future but for now I still want to abstain entirely. I have also found myself wanting to sneak back in to an old opiate habit I had a few years back but have also managed to stay away from it. I'll check back here in another month, wish me luck!

To those out there that are trying to quit this awful habit, the road is not easy but it is SO worth the struggle. Thank you so much to the people that helped me get to where I am today and hopefully where I'll be in the days, weeks, months, and years to come.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I hope and pray all is well with you....keep us posted please
Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had half a pint in my bedroom
I will allow myself to drink in moderation in the future
Genuinely interested in the answer here:

Why would you do either of those things, considering the trouble you found yourself in at the start of this thread Notso?

do you expect it will be different next time?

D
Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

The allowing yourself to drink in moderation in the future??
I wouldn't.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
All is Change

At some point in the journey I found avoiding primers important.

Even today. I avoid medication that has alcohol as a component, eg Senega of Ammonia, Also things like mouthwash: I was using one without thinking about it not realising that I was possibly endangering my sobriety. I found a non-alcohol version instead. This caution becomes a habit after a while. Chocolates, cakes etc. A primer can over time have subtle effect. Anyway, it works for me. I don't have trouble being around drinkers and if I find it having an effect I walk away if I think I'm taking a risk.

Sounds like you're already ready to take the risk.
CU on the other side. Be Happy.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Genuinely interested in the answer here:

Why would you do either of those things, considering the trouble you found yourself in at the start of this thread Notso?

do you expect it will be different next time?

D
Dee is so right! If at 1st you dont succeed....then go ahead and drink yourself to permanent health problems or even death. Dump that **** out and start trying to learn how to lose alcohol entirely through any way you can. The hardest and dangerous part is over for you, do you really want to come back here in the future posting the same thing? I did that for over 10 years and even when I was back to drinking it was NOT even fun. Good luck

Patrick
Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well let me give you a quick rundown of my history:

I picked up drinking in college and when I graduated with my Bachelor's in Engineering in 2008 the economy was in HORRIBLE shape. I had no luck finding a job and eventually I ended up extending my college days by starting on my Master's. I had always intended on stopping the college lifestyle of drinking and partying with friends when I got a 'real job'...To make my 'failure to launch' even worse, about the same time my parents went through a nasty NASTY divorce. I ended up losing the entire relationship with my father over the next few years. Soon the college lifestyle faded away and soon I was self-medicating at a level I had never reached before. Also, trouble finding dependable work as a newbie in the engineering field didn't give me any real reason to quit this self-destructive way of life. Blah, blah, blah...Fast forward a few years to a few months ago when I realized I'm approaching 30 and I've still not quit drinking..Somehow I managed to bring myself to the point of quitting. I made my family and fiance aware of my situation and well, here we are today.

Aside from realizing you have a problem is coming up with a solution that I think will be the easiest to stick to. It doesn't work for everyone but I think as long as I don't allow myself to return to that method of escape (on a regular basis) I should be okay..In the past I had NEVER really tried to quit drinking because I had always thought I had things in control. Now that I see how dangerous extended AND excessive alcohol use is, I'm not going to let things get to that level again.

For me, I just think it's overkill to say that I'll never be able to be around alcohol again. Let's hope I'm right..

----------

Now as far as an update goes - I've lost nearly 30lbs in the last two months and I've managed to indeed avoid falling back on my old habits. It's been friggin difficult to say the least but it's fantastic to be mentally clear and focused. My motivation to 'get out and about' is back with a vengeance...however the thought "I hate being sober" still comes and goes especially at night and I doubt that will ever go away lol..
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Matt M

I've had the racing heart many times over the years but only once did it lead to seizures and that was about 2 and a half years ago.
I've had the occasional slip-up after that and spending that 48 hour period where you're worried about a seizure isn't a pleasant experience and is the main reason I recently decided to quit completely.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're still sober - congrats! The mental part (obsession) didn't go away right away for me, either..... it took about 4 or 5 months to get to the point where I didn't think about (or want) a drink in the evening. It was worth the wait, though, to get to that place of freedom.

Hang in there!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wrong thread, sorry.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Started drinking occasionally again..With one distinct difference however.. I realize now how dangerous it is! When I start to want to drink more than one should I come back and read this thread to help me remember why I cannot give in to temptation. Moderation is the key to success in most things in life!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

....except if you're an alcoholic notsosober.

D