Notices

alcoholics

Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

alcoholics

How often has court mandated probation/aa/interlock etc
Helped an alcoholic stop? Anyone familiar with having this?
Is it difficult to drink in a program like it?
I know an alcoholic will only quit when they are ready or want too
But is it possible for mandated aa to nudge them a bit in the right direction?
Im curious as my ah just got this. Its his first time having mandated aa or interlock.(not first dwi though)
I was also thinking that I would move out in the next month live away for awhile
And let him deal with probation aa etc alone...let him work a program.
That decision is hard but given the court appointed ....and that its sink or swim for him for the next yr and half. Maybe leaving is a good idea? (Not to mention that its stressful worrying about him and ive thought and have left but im thinking of not leaving but basically moving out for a yr )

Im seriously considering this. Do you think this would help or not?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

sorry about your situation. I hope it all works out. I have no experience, but I think people need to want to change. Being made to do it would have made me dig my heels in.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me being mandated to counseling/AA did slow me down for a short time but because I was wasn't ready I continued to drink and once able to I stopped going to counseling/AA. Not until I made up my own mind did I achieve any real sobriety.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I've read that people do recover after being forced into rehab against their will ('The Addicted Brain' and 'Under the Influence' both say this), but I would imagine it depends on the type of rehab.
I think whether you leave should be based your needs, not your BFs. Even if you think it will or won't help him, there are no guarantees.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep the faith in possibilities. I have seen many people change for many different reasons. Just because someone is mandated by the court or forced by other means does not mean it won't help. Sometimes we don't want to do something and need a push. A any moment change can occur and the key is to put those moments in front of him. Go easy on yourself in your decisions. You can change your mind and there is no right or wrong. Make your decisions on your heart not how it might effect him. Best of luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As indicated above, take care of yourself.
Everyone is different. Some addicts/alcoholics hit a "bottom" sufficient enough to do whatever is necessary over something very mild ..... some make it do death row and still don't get it. Most, of course, are somewhere in between.
There are no guarantees....the person may "get it" right away, or it could take a lifetime. Just be honest with yourself.

All the best.