Notices

Relapse

Old 04-25-2004, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse

I have a ? IF someone Detoxs and then goes threw PAW for say 3 months or whatever then they go out and drink again how fast does it all come back.
My friends have said one night of drinking and it is all over. Is this true? I personaly dont want to find out for my self. But I am curious. (I know its a dangerous question).

Steve
Old 04-26-2004, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: Relapse

Alcoholism is progressive.Even if we stop drinking for twenty years, we pick up right where we left off when we again pick up the bottle again.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Peter is right. We only arrest the alcoholism. We can't cure it. Picking up after any length of time can have devastating effects. Some longtimers have told me they were knocked to their knees spiritually by the sheer force of the trauma caused by a single night of drinking after extended sobriety. Best to let the tiger sleep my friend.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

I relapsed last August after 18 months without a drink. The first night I had a few; the second night, none. Where it went after that I really can't tell you. I drank for about 3 weeks, quickly returning to my old "style" of drinking- every day, all day. It took a good month to get over it, physically and even longer spiritually. Of course I can't say how it will be for you, but I don't recommend it. Hang in there- it's worth it! :tri
Old 04-26-2004, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I stopped drinking for six months - then thought I would "just have a beer at the weekends".

Well - in about three weeks I was right back up there, no limits.

Two months later, now I'm having to learn again how to "say no", but I'm getting there - one day at a time.

I don't want to go there again. I don't recommend it - it's a dark place which I thought I had left behind - all the disappointments, fears & tears came back very quickly - with re-enforcements. :saywhat?:
Old 04-27-2004, 12:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dont think I made myself very clear. I was curious about the symptoms of PAW, Do they come back right away, like after one night of drinking or just after a couple of beers. The disease i know never is never cured that is why I hope to my resolve not to drink never falters becasue I know where it will lead.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

PAW would be the physical addiction. Not sure how much or how long before it would return.
The physical response from just one beer, for me would be enough a reminder of what could lead to a return to the old ways, that I would rethink my actions.
2 beers(after 10 years sober) had me as drunk as 3 six packs in the old days would have done. Or had me feeling as drunk, and as tired the next day and a bit on edge of what a 3rd beer would have done. One leads to 2, 2 leads to 3, 3 leads to all night till I run out of beer, money, or a place to get more.
I think it is good to think on the what if....
For me it helped remind me of why I stopped in the first place and a knowing I don't ever want to return there.

I think it is better to think on the what can be now that I am clean and sober. Possibilities abound that if not sober would never be available.