Notices

I will not let feelings dictate my life

Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I will not let feelings dictate my life

I could avoid a lot of problems if I did not let my feelings dictate my life .

How many times have I reacted to someone because I felt my feelings were being hurt .

How many times have I gone to grab a few more cookies because of the way I was feeling .

Sometimes I live by my feelings rather than doing what I know is right .

I may spout off at my hubby .I may have that feeling in my gut to apologize but I don't feel like doing it .

My feelings will tell me it's not my fault and he's to blame .

But I have to listen to that feeling in my gut that is saying to be the bigger person, that is my higher power saying you do this my way and I will give you peace.

I can't let my feelings keep me from growing up .

It's not worth damaging my relationships just because I am letting my feelings get in the way .

It takes discipline and practice .It takes growing up and getting beyond my feelings.

I believe Spiritual maturity is known by what kind of fruit you are displaying in your life.

Am I ruling over my emotions am I walking in love .Am I treating people with respect?

Am I doing the right thing when the wrong thing is happening to me .Or am I just living by my feelings .

If I am going to grow up I have to learn to do the right thing especially when I don't feel like it.

Just because someone cuts me off in traffic and I want to give him the finger, I don't have to give into those feelings .I have choices.

If I go to the mall and I want to spend money I don't have, I don't have to go with those feelings. I have to rule over those emotions .

It seems my feelings want to dictate my life .
If I continually just live by my feelings and react to what they are saying, I am going to stay spiritually immature.

I know there are times in my life where I will be tested.

I may go through periods of greater stress and I could easily lose my cool, and I can be so tempted to just go off on someone or have a pity party but that is a time of testing and a time where I can choose the high road and grow just a bit more on this spiritual journey.

Just cuz I have a heavy feeling, I don't have to follow it, I can choose what kind of a day I am going to have .

I can choose to be happy in spite of how I feel .

I can choose not to respond so hastily .

If I think happy thoughts long enough happy thoughts are going to follow.

I have to rule over my emotions and not let them rule over me.

I feel like I am unspiritual when I am under the control of ordinary emotional impulses .

If I am just running on my emotions I am being immature.

I believe my higher power has greater things in store for me but unless I grow up I may not be able to recieve them .

How many people do we know today who live under ordinary impulses?

Everywhere people are just blowing up, speaking their minds, they won't forgive, they hold grudges .

These are people who are automatically reacting to their feelings . I believe it's a sign of immaturity.

It's ok for me to feel these impulses but I don't have to act on them anymore.

It's normal to feel the emotions attached to my feelings but I do not have to react like I did in the past.I do not have to give into them .

When I act on my emotions I usually make poor decisions which I regret later.There are usually some bad consequences to my reacting.

Today I need to step back and take a break and listen to reason and then do what I know is right in my heart.

It seems to me that wisdom waits for example I may want to tell off my boss but if I wait wisdom tells me you can't afford to lose that job.

Or I may want to flip off a driver, but wisdom waits and says Do you want to provoke road rage?

Today doing the next right thing is a decision not a feeling. Today I have choices and don't have to be ruled by my emotions.

Those emotions will take me back to drinking .

Thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me,reading 'Think Right, Feel Right' by R Isett has been a great help in learning how to control my thoughts and feelings rather than letting them control me
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Somebody told me early in recovery to keep it I over E, intellect over emotion. I am an emotional person too, but that stuck w/me. I think over time I've become more of a "heartfully minded" person (I like to think I made that up, but I'm sure someone said it before me), where my gut feelings and my mind work together pretty well.