Notices

First Night (again)

Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Night (again)

I figured after only 3 days back on drink I would be okay today, but, right around bed time.. the anxiety set in. I cannot believe after being sober so long, that a small slip would cause this same kind of suffering I felt after quitting the first time. I am so scared of alcohol right now it's amazing. I am a healthy, successful man that is completely powerless (admittedly so, step one) over such a simple thing. I luckily have medications in case the withdrawing gets too bad, but I suppose I should suffer through it.

If anyone with my condition thinks one drink won't hurt your sobriety, trust me.. you are just fooling yourself..
Old 02-06-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll feel better tomorrow Celtic

D
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When you say the word anxiety, I am instantly taken back to the gripping fear that pounded in me when I quit drinking. It really isn't fun. At all.

Hopefully this slip knocks you further into sobriety.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Better to be fearful of drinking alcohol the same way one might be fearful to drink poison or a snake bite. Sensible fear keeps us out of dangers way and is part of the survival instinct. To quote the Pocket Sponsor FEAR is "Face Everything And Recover". Be mindful of irrational fear though. For example, locking yourself up so you can't venture outside and into a Bar is one way to deal with fear of a relapse but it also shows that you don't trust yourself or have enough Faith to rely on the strength you have been given to stay sober one day at a time. It took me a while to realize I didn't need to be a slave to my fears and anxiety's when I got my HP watching my back. The Fear and Anxiety is gone. I'm as likely to drink booze as I am to drink a bottle of draino, the two belong in my poisons cabinet. That's being smart.
Good effort so far mate - keep in the fight.