Notices

How important is it really?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How important is it really?

When it's comes to acceptance for me, It really all comes down to whether I want to sacrifice my peace for a cause .

Even for the pettiest things .

How important is it really? .

Is this a life or death situation ??.

I mean do I really need to involve myself ? .

Is it worth losing my peace over ??

Is my opinion or input really all that important to what is going on here ??.

What am I gonna lose if I just stand back and let things just pan out ??.

What will I gain if I say my piece or have my way ??.

Am I really just doing it to stroke my own ego, to be one up on someone else ??.

Will getting involved make a difference in a situation ??.

What if I truly have no control over what has happened?? .

Do I have any real power over other people or their attitudes and choices ??.

Maybe it is a cause I should stand for and maybe accepting it would be like ignoring something where I could have made a difference .

That is where I pray for Godly discermnent .

As far as my alcoholism, I believe I am totally forgiven by God for my past , however there are earthly consequences that I have to accept and may be paying for awhile .

For example I can't undo my arrest record, or uncheat on my husband. I can't redo my job history so why get upset about the things I can't change from my past .

What I can do is change today and that will change my future .

If I want to know about my past, I look into my present conditions. If I want to know my future , I look into my present actions.

I am where I am at right now because of the actions I've taken, or maybe, the inaction I've taken . That is a humbling thought .

I really only have myself to blame, but I have an illness, I am not a bad person ,

I am a sick person and I need to accept that .

But it would be unacceptable if I chose to continue on in my active drinking knowing now of the progression and where it will most undoubtedly lead me .

I can't undo a single thing I have ever done, but I can make decisions today that will take me to the life I want and towards the healing I need

So try to Love yourself. Be gentle, kind, respectful, sincere. If you carry that out, you might inspire others with that attitude .

Life is hard. It gets even harder when you think it is really hard, and gets easier when you set your mind positive. If I change my thoughts I can change my life .

Comes down to the Serenity Prayer Accept the things I cannot change, Change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference .

Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Lovely, D.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, deeker! The first few points remind me of what my first sponsor used to ask:

"Do you want to be right? Or do you want to be happy?"

When there's something "going on" externally-and this always leads to internal questioning-I tend to ask myself that very basic query-for me, it breaks everything down into the simplest of terms & it has saved me a lot of pain

Xx
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In 25 years of drinking I never had personal insights like that. After four months of sobriety, working the steps and choosing a spiritual life, I have them everyday. Thankyou.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep

Originally Posted by Johno1967 View Post
In 25 years of drinking I never had personal insights like that. After four months of sobriety, working the steps and choosing a spiritual life, I have them everyday. Thankyou.
I know right? Amazing when we learn to just let go.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Quinne View Post
Thanks, deeker! The first few points remind me of what my first sponsor used to ask:

"Do you want to be right? Or do you want to be happy?"

When there's something "going on" externally-and this always leads to internal questioning-I tend to ask myself that very basic query-for me, it breaks everything down into the simplest of terms & it has saved me a lot of pain

Xx
I want to be both. Practice not perfection or so my sponsor tells me