Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Quantity of campral when stopping without any other tablets

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey,

I am stopping from quite a big quantity, going from 3litres minimum of 7.5% cider / day.

I have Campral and I tried it before, it really didn't seem to help at all.
I took it at the dose in the leaflet (2 tablets (333mg) 3 times a day).

I have read a lot on Campral and know it works on the GABA system, has anyone taken extra to compensate for long term abuse that has really effected your GABA system?

I'm not looking for medical advise at all, just to know what doses others were given and if it made any difference to recovery.
I have an appointment made with my doctor so if I know if increasing the dose as a suggestion then maybe Campral might work for me, it simply isn't at the current dose anyway, no point getting tablets that don't work...

Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Call a doctor and ask them.

It seems to me that taking more at this time will not be beneficial to your body. Please talk to a professional!!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thinking that taking more tablets will make a med work 'better' is pretty classic alkie thinking J....

I did it too.
It's not the case, and doing that with any med can be dangerous.

Stick to the recommended dose.

Give yourself a reasonable time to assess things on that dose - then see your Dr if you're not satisfied

D
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Campral doesn't give any kind of high/buzz or whatever you would like to call it

It just helps the GABA system when it has been abused, I don't know if it has been down-regulated or if receptors have been damaged.

I know that from long term abuse, serotonin levels are depleted (Maybe dopamine), but Campral doesn't help with that.

Campral isn't something that can be abused at all, I just wanted to know if others have used a different dose and if it has helped more than taking 666mg 3 times / day.
It is just something I want to bring up with my doctor when I go for my appointment, if I know others have had different results with a different dose, it is something we can talk about
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a bad idea, and it would very bad advice for anyone to suggest you mess with your dose yourself J.

just so everyones on the same page - this is the relevant bit of our medical advice rule that everyone here needs to abide by.

Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals.
There is a line between wanting to know about others experiences and asking for specific advice on specific drugs and treatments.

We want people to share experience, with the clear understanding that we're allowed to share medical advice.

Recounting what happened to us and how we overcame it may not always be suitable advice for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

We are a peer support group here. We simply cannot give medical advice. You need to see a medical professional for that.

Thanks for your understanding everyone

Dee
SR
Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Dee

I think it's a bad idea, and it would very bad advice for anyone to suggest you mess with your dose yourself J.
I honestly am not looking for advice, I just want to know if anyone else had different doses.

If I know that others have taken different than me, it is something I can bring up with my doctor with our appointment this week.

I just want to know other experiences so I can talk to my doctor.
Who has more experience than people in the same situation, it is just wanting to know from others experience so I can talk to a doctor that has never been through this
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

What you are asking J is NOT allowed to be responded to here. Discuss it with your doctor regardless of what others have or have not done.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JIreland View Post
Campral isn't something that can be abused at all, I just wanted to know if others have used a different dose and if it has helped more than taking 666mg 3 times / day.
With those who are addicts/have addiction issues, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can be abused. You might be surprised... I know I was!

Good luck with your doctor's appointment.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well...apologies

Doctor cancelled the appointment because they are too busy.

Hmmm...another wait I guess.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Doctor cancelled the appointment because they are too busy.
Hmmmmmmmmmm I do believe I would find a different doctor.

J M H O

Love and hugs,