Notices

Addition Treatments article

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addition Treatments article

Interesting article about how high-priced addiction recovery centers aren't as effective as some local centers.

Effective Addiction Treatment article & book

Some quotes:
But if you have failed one or more times to achieve lasting sobriety after rehab, perhaps after spending tens of thousands of dollars, you’re not alone.
Of the 23.5 million teenagers and adults addicted to alcohol or drugs, only about 1 in 10 gets treatment, which too often fails. Many of these programs fail to use proven methods to deal with the factors that underlie addiction and set off relapse.

-
One myth is the belief that most addicts need to go to a rehab center.
“The truth is that most people recover (1) completely on their own, (2) by attending self-help groups, and/or (3) by seeing a counselor or therapist individually,”
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There are a couple of situations where I think rehab is especially helpful. One is where the alcoholic has so much chaos or distraction in everyday life that removing the distractions helps him or her to focus on nothing but recovery for the initial period of sobriety. The other is where co-occurring serious mental health problems need to be addressed at the same time, and the rehab is specifically equipped to do that.

But for the vast majority of alcoholics it isn't necessary. I think employers, and courts, like the looks of rehab, though. As if it WERE necessary.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, i believe that rehab is often helpful. The article describes research done on different recovery centers and the methods they use, and which work, and which don't.
If someone does think they can do it on there own, they should set a timeline: "If i'm still drinking 1 week from now, i need to move to the next level, which is either daily AA meetings, or a recovery center." A person needs to think about where they will be in a year, still trying to quit on their own? Or having a recovery method that is keeping them sober each day, and a method to handle the difficulties and temptations that quitting brings us all.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There are lots of options available, far more than just two. But I agree, you have to start looking and keep looking, sitting on a lawnchair in the garage surrounded by empty vodka bottles is not an effective way to quit drinking.

I just found this article from June 2011 -
In what feels like the umpteenth time, singers Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse, both famously drug addicted, checked back into rehab in May. The rich and famous, of course, have the means to bounce in and out of pricey addiction-treatment centers, but what's the real cost of rehab for regular folks trying clean up their lives?
A horrible statement in hindsight about the effectiveness of the treatment that these two people received.

The addiction treatment industry in America is expected to have revenues of $34 billion by 2014, an increase of 55% from 2005. The vast majority of that spending -- nearly 80% -- is underwritten by public funding, and the remaining portion paid for by insurance or private fees.

Yikes!

The Real Tab for Rehab: Inside the Addiction Treatment Biz - DailyFinance
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read that article on amy & whitney's $1000/day, and ineffective, treatment centers. very interesting. Their life was no happier than mine. They may have had some exciting times, like when their CD sales skyrocketed. But i've had excitements too. But excitement wears off, and in it's place creeps fear, uncertainty and doubt. The same feelings we have. Money and fame didn't protect them from their own mind, their own emotions. And they tried to shut out those fears the same way we did. And like us they ended up addicted. And unfortunately they also wound up dead (RIP). This isn't a simple problem that money solves. I guess that's the good news for those of us making it month to month.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
Yes, i believe that rehab is often helpful. The article describes research done on different recovery centers and the methods they use, and which work, and which don't.
If someone does think they can do it on there own, they should set a timeline: "If i'm still drinking 1 week from now, i need to move to the next level, which is either daily AA meetings, or a recovery center." A person needs to think about where they will be in a year, still trying to quit on their own? Or having a recovery method that is keeping them sober each day, and a method to handle the difficulties and temptations that quitting brings us all.
When I quit drinking, I had an initial plan to go to 90 AA meetings in 90 days. My plan B, if I found myself unable to quit, or repeatedly slipped, was to do rehab, as a more concentrated effort. Turned out I didn't need rehab, I never picked up another drink in the four and a half years I've been sober.

I think a plan B is always a good idea. I preferred not to have to take the time off from work and deal with all the logistics of rehab, and that might have helped motivate me a bit more in the very beginning, before I had other motivations and a better plan of recovery.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

If I ever have to return to rehab I would probably refuse. If given the option of rehab or jail I would probably pick jail/prison. I am done with the state run "free" rehabs. I never liked the way I was treated at most of those places. The beds were not comfortable & food was horrible as well. Sleeping & eating healthy are major factors in my sobriety. However,I would be tempted to go to Hazelton, Malibu Shores, Betty Ford Clinic, ect....
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I went to a 30 inpatient rehab after a suicide attempt and baker act. The ex was pretty clear about trying to take the kids, and my extended family was so freaked out, there didn't seem any other option in that crisis situation. I could have refused but I honestly didn't have the strength. I was in a childlike state.

Although it allowed me some much needed "down time" and I learned some things, the switched had already flipped at the end of the week of detoxing in the psych ward. I was done drinking for sure. I was still very heavily medicated at that point though, so wasn't in my right mind. I can't say for sure what would have happened had I gone home, except that I do know if I had drank again, another attempt to take my life would have been inevitable.

Once I slept properly, ate properly, and was off all the drugs I was like a new woman. Literally back from the dead.

I wouldn't credit rehab for my recovery, but I would say it stopped the madness long enough for clarity to get a foothold.