Notices

Heroine addict's daughter needs help

Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heroine addict's daughter needs help

Hi SR friends, I need some help. I have a friend that relapsed on heroine before Christmas. She admitts she doesn't want the recovery way of life. She is still using. The problem is her 14 yr old daughter. She comes down and hangs with me, she eats with us, was here for SuperBowl. But today I am very concerned because she is seeing things in the shower. She said she is seeing sparkling crystals falling from the water, and her body went numb. She also said she had an out of body experience, like someone else was washing her, and her hands felt huge.
I really think this kid needs a Dr. but, I have no power to do this. Childrens protective services were notified a month ago and nothing so far. The girl has talked non stop about this since 3pm and along with my autistic son I am getting exhausted. I don't know what to tell her, I don't know what to do. My sponcor is at a game for her daughter.
AND on top of the delusional behavior, she feels she needs to take care of her mother who is high and nods off while talking to her. She is trying to keep everything together. How do I tell a 14yr old that it is not her responsibility to hold it all together?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'd contact DCP&P (formerly DYFS) again and tell them what you just posted here. This child does need to see a doctor, and mom apparently is not capable of dealing with the responsibility.

Thank you for showing her such compassion, but you are right, it isn't your job to take over her care.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Lexi-
I think you may be right, I might have to call and add to the previous call. I don't mind her being here at all, it's the constant talk of seeing things, and seeing her fear is what gets me right in the heart I don't have any answers for her.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Poor baby. Almost sounds like she is having a nervous breakdown sort of thing. Bless her heart and yours, for caring about her. That is such a tender age. She should not have to live that way, and i do hope she can see a doctor and counselor. this is just so very sad.

I have heard of something called 'Alice in Wonderland'syndrome. being sort of a migraine headache with strange visual perceptions. my grandson had something like that once, things in his room seemed far away, and his hands looked big when he looked at them.

sending prayers for help for her and her momma.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

You could also call the police for a welfare check and they can stop by and assess things...they may have more pull with child protective services....give them an earful and help that child....
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll pray for you Heather. I think there is something going on with you personally you haven't shared. But no 14 year old should have to endure what you write. I hope you get well too.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im not sure what that meant John. Heather is trying to help a child because Heather has a huge heart. Her hands are tyed legally because it isnt her kid. Please know what you are speaking about before you throw these comments out there.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((Heather)) I'm so grateful, this young lady has you to step in and help her. Sounds like you're doing everything you can with the boundaries set by Mom.

If she's enrolled in school, perhaps a counselor can help? I'm not sure why Social Services hasn't stepped in. I would make another call and keep calling until they make a home visit.

Please keep us updated!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Was this child able to get the help she needs? Are you doing ok? My heart goes out to all involved.