Notices

The Alcohol Blackout

Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
I had a counselor tell me once that an alcoholic in a blackout behaves exactly like a normal sober person...until something their brain is expecting, changes. Like if you were driving home and went into a blackout, you'd be fine, unless there were any variations in your established pattern, a detour, wrong lane, anything. That theory would explain why so many charges for alcohol would show up on my debit card that I have no memory of buying.

To me that says, I walked into the liquor store in a blackout, went to my normal place, got my normal bottle, and had my id ready for the clerk. Had the money. No variations, nothing to tell my brain something was wrong.

I came out of a blackout once falling face first into the concrete. I still have the chipped tooth, I keep it as a reminder.
WOW - there by the grace of God eh? Glad you didn't hit your head and kill yourself, if doesn't take much of a blow!

I have heard, on more than one occasion, sober people who say " I was driving and have no recollection of how I got from point A to point B on the highway"

that's scary stuff
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I blacked out fairly often in the last months of my drinking. At first I had no idea. I only ever drank at home. I think I had probably blacked out a couple of times before my husband said 'Do you remember...?' and of course, I didn't.

I think the story of Jason Scott (and others like him) is the ultimate horror. Could you imagine having to live with the knowledge of what you'd done, spending decades in jail, and having absolutely no memory of it happening?