Notices

Gazza goes into rehab

Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gazza goes into rehab

A famous English footballer has very publicly entered rehab. He has had a very long struggle with booze and I think he has been in rehab a few times in the past. One can only hope that this time it works out for him as it looks like the booze is likely to kill him prematurely.

Paul Gascoigne flies to US for rehabilitation as friends Chris Evans and Ronnie Irani help troubled star - Telegraph
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Seen the video of him at a supporters function the other day, he was a shaking, incoherent mess. His manager should get a slap for putting him out there in that state. Hope he gets the help he needs or he doesn't have long left.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's excruciating to see the progression of his alcoholism played out in the media for so long but on the flip side, if he recovers, sooo many could find hope and support as an indirect result. Perhaps some already have averted disaster for themselves.

I hope this time he finds a way of learning the skills to live again.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The tears on the field during penalty shoot out showed us that he is rather emotional, he also had an epic sense of humour, i suspect a very "big heart".

Would be wonderful to see him turn this around, i really hope he can, he would become a double hero for me.. but i suspect its all going to lead toward a tragic ending...

Come on gazza, get sober for Engerrrrrrrr-land.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not a big football fan but everyone remembers Gazza both for being a great footballer and from all reports, a genuinely nice guy. What his drinking has done to him is just awful. I've heard him talking on the radio when he was drinking and he was just an incoherent mess. From what his friends have said he was better sober, but it seems he's done a lot of permanent damage. He did quit for a couple of years I think. Just so sad, if he doesn't stop and stay sober then he'll be dead within a few years.

Just another reminder for all of us what is at stake.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Alcoholism doesn't discriminate, that's for sure.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Update on this... Looks like its gone from bad to really bad, as he has collapsed and been taken into intensive care.

Gazza 'in intensive care' after collapse - News - People - The Independent
Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sad for Gazza, I wish he could get on top of it.
He's seems so estranged from his friends and family.

But when I read about him going to the states, I think half the problem was his minders etc would not let him drink on the way there. He is heavily drink dependent and should not have stopped drinking until he got there and was treated by professionals who know what to do in these cases.

Apparently he ordered a beer at he airport and his minder snatched it off him and stopped him drinking it.
He could have died!

I also wonder why he is off to the USA?
We treat alcoholism here too!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

I remember him sober and in the rooms of AA.

Unfortunately he didnt have the desire to stop drinking and stay stopped.

A lovely warm hearted man,I could weep, it is so sad.

And yes we have briliant rehabs in this country,I am sure the flight he took must have been torture for him.I imagine the few friends he has left are doing what they think best.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post

And yes we have briliant rehabs in this country,I am sure the flight he took must have been torture for him.I imagine the few friends he has left are doing what they think best.
I totally agree Heath the flight must have been horrific.
He needed to keep drinking, but was being looked after by those that did not understand alcoholism.

I think his daughter/step daughter Bianca (?) is on the same path which is very, very sad x
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jimmy Geaves, ex-footballer and Alkie comments on Gascoigne's plight

Jimmy Greaves talks about Paul Gascoigne and his own battle with alcoholism - Mirror Online
Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, Dont really know much of the guy. But sad all the same its really to bad they didn't have him medically withdrawal there prior to taking a long flight without medical staff & people not understanding the true dangers of stopping what what body has literally learned to function on.
~Prayers for him.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Quite a sad story.
I will hazard a guess and say that rehab in America would draw far less media coverage. Pretty sure most Americans don't know who Gazza is, and that is not a slight.

As for the flight, again I will guess and say he's near to death's door, there is no time to lose.

Whatever the situation truly is, I wish he and his family all the best.