Notices

Drunk Again

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk Again

I was going to quit again, after the Super Bowl party. And here I am again "cleaning up" all the leftovers from last night. I can't seem to just stop again. I had 100 days sober and cannot get back on track like I was sure I could. Lots of self hatred and remorse going on. I'm feeling like a hopeless drunk again..
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noones hopeless Celtic

it takes some different decisions tho, I think.
Get rid of whatever is left - not down your throat, but in the sink.

then you can start to think about what you need to do differently - what do you need to change? are you open to the idea of more support?

D
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

You had 100 days mate, make today day 1 of another 100, then another 100 and so on. All the best.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try to put it into perspective. Yes, you messed up this time but you're straight back here on the boards telling us what happened. No-one's angry or upset with you - we've all had relapses and we're just so pleased you're still sharing with us. We'll support you in anyway you can, absolutely unconditionally. Also, for 100 days you made good decisions and I assume you were working some sort of programme of recovery. No doubt you learned a lot about yourself and the nature of your addiction during that time. You don't forget all the things overnight or during a relatively short period of boozing. Most of what you learned will still be stored in your mind. It's just a question now of cleaning up and drying out. Drink loads of water and clean up the mess. Maybe you'll need to spend a few hours in bed pondering what happened. But as you do so, please think about what you learned about sobriety before and how you can put it into action. And share with us as often as you can because we'd be delighted to continue travelling with you on the road to recovery.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Celtic12 View Post
I was going to quit again, after the Super Bowl party. And here I am again "cleaning up" all the leftovers from last night. I can't seem to just stop again. I had 100 days sober and cannot get back on track like I was sure I could. Lots of self hatred and remorse going on. I'm feeling like a hopeless drunk again..
I had a bad relapse after 5 months sober. I'm on day 9 now. Just stop, just don't drink. Message me if you'd like...we'll do this together.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You did those 100 days one at a time. Today is no different. Back in the saddle, Buddy!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Seriously. Please just keep trying. 100 days is awesome. As bad as you feel today, know it will get better if you just don't drink. Start from day one, and add those days up. In a week or more you will hopefully feel that healthy momentum kick in. Keep learning and trying. Please start again today. Don't give up.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

100 day is so good, it sounds like you are open to getting back on that saddle which is good. god luck bro! you can do it
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know that there are many folks who can relate to a relapse! It is hard to get back on track again, but you can do this! For some of us (myself included) it takes a little longer to "get it". Take what happened as an opportunity to learn what not to do next time!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I continue to feel that sometimes we put too much emphasis on "how many days". Don't get me wrong—long distance abstinence is marvelous. But encountering a relapse and the mindset of having to start all over again can be defeatism. Maybe thinking " I have been sober 100 days out of 101. That is a great percentage."
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the support. I was really beating myself up after being drunk for nearly two straight days. But today I will not drink, I have a new perspective and will just have to take it a day at a time, like I did before.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yesterday is gone. Let it go.
I didn't stop drinking the first time i tried. Sobriety is hard. It's easy to say "i'll never drink again", just like its easy to say "I'll run a marathon this summer". The feeling of committment is experienced at the time we make a new decision. And that is a warm, wonderful feeling. But it slips away after a day or two. The hard work comes after the feeling is gone, but we still have the work to do.
All of these lessons come from the challenging road of sobriety.

You're on the right path. It's OK to stumble. We'll help you back up. Many people helped me up.

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other. "
Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
Yesterday is gone. Let it go.
I didn't stop drinking the first time i tried. Sobriety is hard. It's easy to say "i'll never drink again", just like its easy to say "I'll run a marathon this summer". The feeling of committment is experienced at the time we make a new decision. And that is a warm, wonderful feeling. But it slips away after a day or two. The hard work comes after the feeling is gone, but we still have the work to do.
All of these lessons come from the challenging road of sobriety.

You're on the right path. It's OK to stumble. We'll help you back up. Many people helped me up.

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other. "

That was a really insightful thing to say.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeBlows View Post
That was a really insightful thing to say.
I agree. The tough part for me has been that I picked up a night job since my wife was laid off by her employer, and have not been able to make a single meeting in weeks. So the support of this forum via my phone has been absolutely crucial. I consider everyone here so important in my life. Thank you... Thank you.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had the same feeling after coming out of inpatient. You can't give up! It's a new day and it's worth giving it another try. Get all alcohol out of the house and try to find a meeting..If you were sober once you can be again!