Notices

At home detox

Old 04-24-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At home detox

Have any of you ueed an at home detox program? Do they work? The one we are looking into uses some kind of meds and has a nurse come to your home?
Old 04-25-2004, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: At home detox

Practically every alcoholic I know has detoxed at home. We just 'put the plug in the jug' and that was that. To stay stopped I went to AA, got a sponsor, and worked the steps. Why do you need other meds and a nurse?
Old 04-25-2004, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Bit harsh niner. Some of us take longer than others to get to the rooms. How you get healthy enough to finally get there is really up to the individual. And for some alcoholics, the detox will go way beyong the simple "sticking it out and dealing with it" that you and I have experienced.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Bit harsh niner. Some of us take longer than others to get to the rooms. How you get healthy enough to finally get there is really up to the individual. And for some alcoholics, the detox will go way beyong the simple "sticking it out and dealing with it" that you and I have experienced.
Sorry you took it that way Dan. I'm just pointing out that MOST alcoholics don't need meds or nursing to quit drinking. We just quit cold turkey. That is a fact. Its not cold or brutal or friendly or nice. It is what it is. Staying stopped is the problem. That is what the rooms of AA are for and the steps and the BB and a sponsor. I think the disconnect is that you think I'm talking about ALL alcoholics, and I'm not. I'm talking about most of us. That is my experience.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Fair enough niner. Perhaps I got to abugslife's other posts earlier than you did is all. No worries!
Old 04-25-2004, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Bug-

As mentioned most do detox at home. I just quit and didn't need the use of med's or a nurse. If you feel you will suffer serious withdrawels then by all means it's good to do it with medical supervision. I would remain cautious however, of the med's they want to prescribe. I know those who are prescribed seditives have less anxiety and sleep problems but they usually will only keep you on it for 7-10 day's and after that, you learn to handle it and stay sober on your own. I found I needed people like me to do it, and found the rooms of AA to be my ultimate support. You will find what works best for you as you have many options. We all know what works best for us, you decide what will work for you. Good luck we're here for you.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do realize that most people detox at home, so I guess what I really wanted to know is it worth it to pay for added help in the form of meds and a nurse. This is not for me, but rather my SIL and we would be willing to pay if it was worth it, but I don't want to throw good money after bad.

I think AA is probably the best option, but he doesn't want to do that yet. I think he feels it would be embarassing, but he's not embarassed by the fact that everyone knows he's an alcoholic. AA would be great though, because he can be with and hear from other people just like him. I think he knows there is a problem, but still can't believe that he can't contol it. I know cold turkey is the best way, but I guess we just aren't there yet. :sink I guess when you are drowning in the stuff, you can't usually see what it is you need to do to save yourself.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Whether detox is needed might be determined by how much and often the person drank. I drank 1/2 gall of vodka every 2-3 days;I went to detox and treatment my first time around, and was very thankful for it. Then I went to AA
My second time, after 3 weeks of drinking, I detoxed at home. I wanted to feel every bit of it, and I did. I didn't want it to be easy, like it was the first time.

On the flip side, detoxing at home can be very dangerous. It is possible to have convulsions from withdrawals and become seriously injured or even die. You may want to consult a doctor with some alcoholic experience. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exclamation

The most important thing to keep in mind while detoxing is the risk of sezures!

I went through a 7 day detox center in mid July this year and didn't stick to my aftercare plan. I went to meetings for a week and then just stopped going. I had over 90 days and started drinking again. I am in the process of detoxing at home right now day 4. I would contact your doctor and maybe have your blood preassure monitored and get plenty of rest. Realize detoxing is difficult and has side affects. Head aches, nausea, insomnia, racing mind, etc. Knowing a drink will take it away is the hardest part for me. I was downing close to a quart a day of vodka every day. Tomorrow I'm only having 4oz. Yikes!

I am not a doctor but it was highly reccomended to NOT stop cold turkey for the amount I was drinking. If your haveing a pint a day I could see just stopping. Again I would call a detox center and ask some questions.