Notices

Good meeting last night!

Old 02-03-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good meeting last night!

So, my sponsor picked me up last night and took me to a meeting. We got there early and when we parked, he really let me have it about my relapse. He told me if I don't get this and stop drinking, I was going to die. I know this is the truth.

He said he knew I was going to relapse because the 5 months I had sober, I was on the pink cloud...not really doing the work necessary for sobriety. I know this to be true also. I was lazy and complacent about my recovery.

This is a place I've been to many times but never on a Saturday night. It definitely had a different flavor. It was festive! There was a lot of joy in that room. I felt welcome and at home...I saw a few people I knew and we talked, I got a lot of phone numbers.

My sponsor introduced me to a man whose home group meets a mile from my house. He said he'd give me a ride if necessary and would introduce me around. For some reason, I've never been to this meeting. I could easily walk there, it'll be good exercize.

I was shaking a lot during the meeting but I did have periods of calmness.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did want to add (before my tablet weirded out on me ) that when I shared, I told on myself. I told about my relapse and my desire to become sober and my willingness to do anything to get it.

Again, I was made to feel welcome. It was a good night.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

That's great, John! I always feel better after a meeting. Keep it up!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Great to hear, John. No doubt you helped someone when you talked about your relapse and its consequences to you. There is love in the rooms, too...a sum greater than the parts.

Thanks for sharing
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thanks for sharing, John. Like Paul said, even you talking about your relapse to other alcoholics helps the greater good. That's not an excuse for more of these episodes, tho.

I experienced a lot like you have in the past. I didn't put the work in necessary to maintain lengthy sobriety. Your sponsor was right, and sometimes it does take being a little harsh to get the point across. One main point that is often overlooked or coddled, is the fact that most of us will DIE from this disease if we don't take some drastic measures to get better. The easier, softer way, for me at least, is definitely the steps outlined in the book and working with another alcoholic.