Notices

4pm

Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
All is Change

4pm

Throughout a lot of my life 4 pm has been important. When drinking it was often the time that my inevitably losing struggle with my morning resolution reached the end stage. I thought this was peculiar to me so I've formed a rough idea what that was/is about.
Since spending more time reading this forum I see it is not that unique at all.

What is it about that time in a persons day?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Other than weekend outings, skiing, etc., after work 5 to 7 was the time. This last year, I found ways to start as soon as I could buy a bottle and sometimes right out of bed. Not a lot, but continual that would add up over the course of the day. While part of me thoroughly enjoys that and has no problem really with it, the thinking part of me knows that is a short course which much to lose. I am quite happy that with tomorrow being one week sober, most of the withdrawls over and a changing outlook on life, things are looking different. I think I even see it in my face. Onward and upward.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

our cells have memories, not just in our brain, either
Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Seems that many (not all) people have a "witching hour" - that time when the obsession is strongest. I think it has more to do with associations than anything else, although what sugarbear said about the body having memory is something I feel has merit too. For some, it's years of the drink after work, or the time that everyone has left the house and they're alone, or any sort of opportunity to have that first drink.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

mine is 6pm. coming home from work. doing my chores around the house. waiting for my awesome husband to come home. I set the house up for my auto pilot that i will be on in a few hours. sad but true and i can admit it here.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Thanks to all. Now and forever, for all things. In toto I think the same re cellular memory and association. It helps me to realise it is not necessarily some uniquely personal thing that I have to figure out. To know this 'witching hour' and why it's there helps me to deal with it. Another little step.