Notices

Stabbing pain in liver while drinking coffee?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stabbing pain in liver while drinking coffee?

Hello all. I am exactly one week sober. Before my relapse I was one week sober also. I am happy to report I have a new job at a place that will not tolerate my drinking and if I go back to alcohol I will easily lose this job. This is it for me.

I have not drank but have noticed a stabbing pain right in my liver (I used to get this pain while drunk) when drinking coffee. It doesn't seem to happen with cola but as soon as I start up with one cup the pain is really bad. I know we are not allowed to give medical advice but I have searched all over the internet. I have no days off at my new job on 90 day probation and no health insurance yet.

Can someone point me to some links or give me any experience with this? I had a blood panel done a few months ago for in-patient detox and all was well with my liver then. Also, I thought coffee was supposed to be good for it so I have been drinking more.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week! Since your insurance hasnt kicked in yet, I would try to go to a free clinic and get some medical advice. It could be your gall bladder as well but I'm certainly no doctor. I wouldnt let it go for long.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The only things I could think of are 1. Are you hydrated enough? Coffee being a diuretic 2. Maybe it could have something to do with coffee's counteractive effect of liver cirrhosis? 3. Maybe its acid indigestion, which could have already been irritated by the alcohol.

Just guesses, you'll have to see a doctor obviously if it keeps up. I had a pain in my liver at one point a few months ago so I got blood work done and a sonogram of my liver. Everything came back normal.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

You amaze me! You know it's your liver....seriously, can you get to a free clinic and get checked out?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to sound dumb here but the only free clinics I have ever heard of are planned parenting in PA. It radiates up to my back which I thought was heartburn so I am beginning to think this isn't my liver.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Call Social Services or the Department of Health and Human Services and ask about medical clinics in your area.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

check out these websites for local clinics/help BBE

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel for you all. If we are ill here we simply go to hospital n its all paid for on the NHS, in Wales all perscriptions are free. How do you all cope?????????? I hope you are able to get your liver checked somehow n get treatment.
Evey
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How do you know it is your liver?
Can you see it?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Offered as experience, not advice:

I would take aspirin for a week or so until it stopped working for me and then switch to ibuprofen until it quit working and back and forth to alleviate the weird pains that I have come to accept as withdrawal. Some of the pains (liver like you say) where fairly scary but I too had recently been given a good bill of health from my doctor so I stuck it out. It took three months for those weird pains to go away. I think sugary sports drinks helped a lot with hydration and muscle cramps.

Good luck. The reward is worth it.

Last edited by mfsteve1; 02-03-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Zee

Hiya... this is from experience only... I had alcoholic hepatitis (enlarged liver), ascites and edema. If I felt under my right hand side rib-cage, it felt very tender. I also lost alot of weight (muscle waste) and lost most of my body hair, I ached all over for months and got very itchy too. Everyone's bodies are different though. See a doc... I have had numerous blood tests, an endescope and 2 ultrasounds. Good luck to you
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had some dullness where my liver is located - I wouldn't call it pain. A Milk Thistle supplement and further abstinence helped this dullness go away. Obviously, you should have it checked out by a physician if you are concerned. Good luck!