Notices

Young and sober. Looking for other young people

Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Young and sober. Looking for other young people

I'm 23 years old, male, and live in the greater Cleveland, Ohio area. I have a support group and all, I just don't have many friends near my age that are sober as well. The few I do are males as well.

Basically, since I have become sober, I have been having problems meeting people my own age.

Let me know if you are interested in talking or if you have any suggestions!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

im 27, from detroit...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

9 pm Saturday:

Young, Sober, and Free
Saharid Social Center 15325 Brook Park Rd
Cleveland, OH 44142

e-AA Group : Alcoholics Anonymous

search for Young People in AA for meetings or call the local intergroup offices.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am 27, and I wish that I would have been able to do this years ago. All of us probably do. I think it is great that you are sober too. You will have so many more opportunities in life than you would have ever imagined. This sounds cliche, but I like to meet other young people at coffee shops, books stores, parks...
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey neighbor! IM 29. Live in north royalton. I attend meetings in Parma and Royalton. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junkhead89 View Post
I'm 23 years old, male, and live in the greater Cleveland, Ohio area. I have a support group and all, I just don't have many friends near my age that are sober as well. The few I do are males as well.

Basically, since I have become sober, I have been having problems meeting people my own age.

Let me know if you are interested in talking or if you have any suggestions!
Hey Junkhead,

I'm 25. Been sober since a month after turning 21.

Haha, how ironic is that? Drink like a fish from like age 14 up until I'm finally legal to go out and buy my own... and then I'm sober a month after my 21st.

Anyway, I get where you're comin' from -- I lost almost all of my so called "friends" since I first quit (turns out, they were more 'drinking buddies' than friends).

I'm only a couple years older than you... still in that age bracket where it's "cool" to go out and drink after school or work. I'm no expert in meeting people, but I'm better with the whole "being social while sober" thing than I was when I first gave it up.

If you ever wanna talk to someone about anything, regardless of topic, my door (and my PM box) is always open.

I'm from Michigan, by the way... not all that far from you.

To living sober,

Jake D.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JakeDennert View Post
Hey Junkhead,

I'm 25. Been sober since a month after turning 21.

Haha, how ironic is that? Drink like a fish from like age 14 up until I'm finally legal to go out and buy my own... and then I'm sober a month after my 21st.

Anyway, I get where you're comin' from -- I lost almost all of my so called "friends" since I first quit (turns out, they were more 'drinking buddies' than friends).

I'm only a couple years older than you... still in that age bracket where it's "cool" to go out and drink after school or work. I'm no expert in meeting people, but I'm better with the whole "being social while sober" thing than I was when I first gave it up.

If you ever wanna talk to someone about anything, regardless of topic, my door (and my PM box) is always open.

I'm from Michigan, by the way... not all that far from you.

To living sober,

Jake D.
Another Southern Michigander here. I am 27, male. Always willing to chat! Feel free to PM me!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im 28, and have been struggling with alcoholism and addiction since I was 17 (maybe even younger). I totally can relate...it is hard to make sober friends, especially if you are younger I think. It has gotten easier for me...many of my friends are getting married and having kids now so the party scene does grow old for many.
Im from Ontario, Canada by the way.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I attended my first AA meeting at the age of 25, I didn't work those steps.

Fast forward 25 years---many of those other people were able to stay stopped since that age and they not only look fabulous, but their lives have really been wonderful! The others of us, well, we're glad to hook up again!

I wish you all well on your sober journeys!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I wish I had found the rooms earlier than I did - awesome, guys!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm 20, turning 21 in may. I've been sober since september 2011 and really got into serious trouble when I was 18 a month shy of 19. I actually went out last night to visit some friends that I used to drink and drug with constantly and went bar hopping. I didn't drink or drug and had a great time, though it was my first time really out in a few months. I have a lot of trouble finding people to socialize with who are sober, but I don't mind being a solitary person I have my goals and my job and my school to deal with and thats enough for me!