Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have decades between recognition and sobriety?

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I first went to AA in my early 20s because I was miserable from drinking. I had short-term success, but really failed to embrace the program or achieve sobriety.

I went back to drinking for another 20+ years. I completed university, built a career, and started a family. I also had some really fun times (they seemed fun at the time) and made some great friends. However, I was never fully satisfied or really all that happy.

In my 40s, my body and mind started to show the impacts of prolonged drinking to a much more significant degree. Yet, I was seemingly unable to quit. Now in the latter half of my 40s, I fully accept that I am an alcoholic and have made a decision to stop. I wish I had stopped back in my 20s.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? How did you finally overcome decades of failing to quit to achieve sobriety?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I have journal entries from the early 90s where I write about my drinking too much, about my failures to quit, my attempts at moderations, then bemoaning that I drink too much.

I have an entry from the late 90s where I write, "I'm afraid I'm always going to fight the bottle."

My drinking got worse; I quit writing about it. Figured I would drink until I died.

By the grace of God (and I mean that!) I had a moment of utter clarity where I saw my drinking as it really was and where it was headed if I didn't stop. Quit and have never looked back. Blessed to be sober since Sept 4, 2010.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

'Has anyone else had an experience like this?
How did you finally overcome decades of failing to quit to achieve sobriety? '

Yes.
The sinple stuff in AA finally got me, or I got it. Those little placards to read while putting up with story after story in the background. H.E.L.P., K.I.S.S. I came to understand.
Meditation is very important for me to deal with things so that has helped me through a lot of dry rock bottoms. Doing it for me first is important. Then I just stopped, and I found that those boring old-timers babbling away in the meetings were right. A time does come when one is over the hurdle and the most important thing is to not pick up the first drink. Meditation is very important for me to deal with things so that has helped me through a lot of dry rock bottoms.
Honesty, to myself and to others. et.c. blah de blah blah blah. you'll figure it out. Take what works for you and leave the rest (for later, or not)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went into AA at 24 and am still sober, but my husband was in and out of the rooms for 11 or 12 years before he got any sobriety. He's sober and happy now, 5 years! There are A LOT of people at our meetings with this experience. I would say 2/3 of our "old-timers" (more than 20 years sober) came in and out for a decade or two before getting any sobriety. I think a lot of this has to do with the court-ordered thing. Many of them came in originally by "the nudge from the judge" and then continued drinking after their minimum time going to meetings. Then they came back later for themselves. I don't think it matters how long you drank, how old you are, or how many times you've tried to quit. You can still get sober and be happy!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Your story is my story. Did AA in early 30's quit at 52.

Why? I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I knew I would die if I continued drinking because my body and mind were falling apart. Went back to AA and for the first time I felt at home.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered

First rehab in 1989 at the age of 18. Finally got sober in 2009 at the age of 38....20 years (and 2 months) after identifying that I had a problem. I was unable to quit "while there was still time", as the BB says. I wasn't done till I was done.

My ways of managing became less and less as time went by. Then, in 2009, I was left with two choices: alcoholic death (by using or suicide) and getting help. I *had* to get to this place to be open and willing.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I first went to AA in my early 20s because I was miserable from drinking. I had short-term success, but really failed to embrace the program or achieve sobriety.

I went back to drinking for another 20+ years. I completed university, built a career, and started a family. I also had some really fun times (they seemed fun at the time) and made some great friends. However, I was never fully satisfied or really all that happy.

In my 40s, my body and mind started to show the impacts of prolonged drinking to a much more significant degree. Yet, I was seemingly unable to quit. Now in the latter half of my 40s, I fully accept that I am an alcoholic and have made a decision to stop. I wish I had stopped back in my 20s.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? How did you finally overcome decades of failing to quit to achieve sobriety?
Thanks for posting. I got sober when I was 17 and have kept at it. Of course at that time my only 'yet' was death though they found me with no pulse and brought me back after one overdose. I've also lost to many good friends over the years.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Was just 21 years old when an employer suggested I go to AA......couldn't imagine myself in a room with those old men smoking cigars (that was my image of an alcoholic). What did a 21 year old, female have in common with them?

After almost 40 years of drinking/using (I began at age 16)...I saw headlights in my rear-view mirror. What followed was the beginning of my journey to recovery. I began attending meetings, followed suggestions of those who stayed sober, got a sponsor, and worked the steps. Last August I celebrated 5 years in recovery. I continue to attend meetings because I want to give back.

Do I wish I had done it sooner....I don't dwell on the past, I try to be the best me I can be TODAY. Everyone has their own path to travel......welcome.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

After realizing I don't drink, I just get drunk, I first confessed to a friend that I thought I had a drinking problem in 1986. He convinced me it was all in my head.

Came back to the same conclusion in 1991, and went to AA daily for 2 straight months.

I self-referred to rehab in 2005. 2 weeks output-patient. Followed up with AA for a few months.

Frequency, quantity and flat out reckless behavior have all increased over time. I scared the shiznit outta myself last weekend. Drink, passout, drink, passout Thursday night to Saturday Night, drink, passout, drink passout Sunday night to Tuesday morning. Time to get a new hobby.