Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Is there a faster way to get ethanol out of my system?

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm quitting drinking. I hear it takes ~6 weeks to get alcohol out of your system.

Are there any secrets to make it go by faster? Niacin? Cranberry juice?

The anxiety is awful.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

If your blood alcohol content is .24 I think it takes like 15 or 17 hours to reach zero. Not six weeks. And no, nothing you eat or take or do will speed up the rate it gets cleared from your blood...it's pretty much a set rate.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Have you spoken to your doctor in regards to your anxiety?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've spoken to my doctor about anxiety. I'm prescribed a very low dose of valium and propranolol to deal with anxiety. But it just makes me sleepy and boring. Like my brain shuts down.
I woke up today saying I wasn't going to have a single drink. Made a pact with my girlfriend (She's quitting pot and eating sugar). I'm 9 beers deep and feel like an *******.
I feel like a normal functioning human after a day of hell and anxiety, but an ******* nonetheless.

Anyways, tomorrow's another day. Hope it goes better.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

There isn't anything but good ol reliable and boring time to rid your body of alcohol. Time depends on how long you've drank, how much you drank, etc. There's no hard and fast rules or timeline.

Good luck - and if you're detoxing, you may want to check with your doctor (be honest about your intake of booze) - detoxing can be dangerous stuff. Don't play medical expert.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is no means of speeding up how fast your liver eliminates alcohol from your body. So, despite what you may be told by those who believe in the fantastic...there are no secrets on how to speed up the elimination of alcohol from your body.

The average person eliminates alcohol at a rate of approximately 20 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood per hour.

All that to say, the rate at which alcohol leaves your body is measured in hours, not days and certainly not weeks.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The best way to eliminate alcohol from your body is to quit drinking it!

Welcome to SR.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calcified View Post
Yeah, I've spoken to my doctor about anxiety. I'm prescribed a very low dose of valium and propranolol to deal with anxiety. But it just makes me sleepy and boring. Like my brain shuts down.
I woke up today saying I wasn't going to have a single drink. Made a pact with my girlfriend (She's quitting pot and eating sugar). I'm 9 beers deep and feel like an *******.
I feel like a normal functioning human after a day of hell and anxiety, but an ******* nonetheless.

Anyways, tomorrow's another day. Hope it goes better.
Hi Calcified,

You have noted you told your doctor about your anxiety--did you mention you are in the process of getting sober? That could affect his med selection.

If he is aware, then he has done what you asked him to do and prescribed the meds he feels are best. You may be able to ask him to give you an alternative medication that would not make you as sleepy, although I think that is what the propanolol is for.

By the way , Why do you think there are support groups and forums just for the alcoholic. As alcoholics we usually find ourselves at the END of "Hell" before we decide we want out---it took us a long time to get there now we have to fight our way back out of that hell--it is called withdrawal!

We all have taken that journey and it has been a different road for each of us--but it can be done--SR is living proof of that. By the way being through Hell and Back is a very rewarding and empowering accomplishment. If you can be PROUD of one thing in your life as an alcoholic it is this journey.

Buck up---you'll get thru it!

Sincerely,
TrixMixer

P.S. If you find that Magic Pill to shorten the misery , please let this forum be the first to know! LOL!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

valium, beta blockers and 9 beers is not a good combination.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It might get out of your body soon enough but it can stay in your head for a long, long time...