Notices

interesting quote

Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

interesting quote

"The higher your social class the more your likely to drink but your less likely to have a drinking problem"

Stanton Peele

do you think this is true? this is from a video where Peele explains how alcoholism isn't a disease
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's true to the extent that your drinking problem might not be recognised and called out as such. An awful lot of high functioning alcoholics slip through the cracks because they don't fit the same patterns as others who have more obvious impacts of alcohol showing in their lives. It's easier to overlook and/or deny if it's not wrecking your life openly. The problem is, you only remain "high functioning" until you can't--like that guy who was "a friend of bears" till they turned around and ate him.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd be interesting to see if he has statistics or scientific studies to back that up. It seems ridiculous and historically inaccurate. If we took a poll of just the people on SR, I'm sure this would be proven completely false. (And I'm totally NOT suggesting we have a poll!)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I think that is total BS. I see all walks of life from all socio-economic back grounds in equal numbers at the meetings I go to and I go to a lot of meetings. If anything I would say the opposite is true but then I many gravitate to meetings where people have similar backgrounds
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I moved from a middle class neighborhood to an upper class neighborhood last summer. When I checked the AA directory for meeting locations near my new home, there were twice as many choices within a 2 mile radius as I had in my last house.

I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's an article on the topic : Are Rich People Heavy Drinkers? | Psychology Today
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think by the quote he is saying the the lower economically you are the more easily you will be labeled or diagnosed with alcoholism
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the proposition is totally without foundation. I work for the ultra-rich in New York City and LA. In my experience, at least two things separate them from the people like me who work for them. 1. They own their own businesses and make such a rich living, they have a huge staff of people who carry the load when they are doing god knows what. And 2. They don't use health insurance; they pay cash for medical care. Which means they can choose doctors who dispense benzos to them like tic tacs. (Which is what killed Whitney Houston.) So they are forever insulated from the effects of withdrawal. They have a drinking strategy like that star from Two and Half Men who blew up on TV a year and half ago (WINNING! not) I've only seen two ultra-rich relationships allegedly destroyed by drink, but drink wasn't the real issue. Old rich men like younger women who use them and at some point the younger grows tired of old men and cash out. There are so many examples I don't know where to begin. But let us remember Larry Hagman, of I Dream of Jeannie and Dallas fame. He started drinking at 9am every morning, and only got through the day buzzed. His words not mine. There was a lot of controversy surrounding the fact that he got to the front of the line for a liver transplant while ordinary people waiting longer than he did died. I don't want to mention anyone living now. But consider the struggle of Mae West. She was brilliant. She acted. Directed. Wrote every movie she appeared in. She was sober. She acted with W.C. Fields in a couple movies. She added a sobriety clause in his contract. When he showed up on the set drunk, she shut down production until he cleaned up his act. He complied. Today there is a very wealthy banker with a show on CNBC who got kicked out of 3 major banks for his coke addiction. Then he found God. Contrary to the claims of F.Scott Fitzgerald, brilliant writer who died of a heart attack brought on by alcohol withdrawal, the rich are no different than you or me. They just have more resources to delay the inevitable conclusion that follows from immoderation. I don't know who this Stanton Peele is, but he must not get out much.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm laughing so hard I'm having a hard time typing.

I have some swamp land I"m willing to sell real cheap, too!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I think by the quote he is saying the the lower economically you are the more easily you will be labeled or diagnosed with alcoholism
Yep agreed...maybe it's more of a social statement about the way alcoholics are viewed and stereotyped in the US than it is about whether rich vs. poor folks are more or less likely to become alcoholics.