Notices

One Week

Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Week

One week! I've been through this before and fell back into my old ways, but it feels DIFFERENT this time. I've had a good discussion with my wife, and took a good look at myself and where I am and what I have to lose, and decided enough is enough.

I'd been drinking more and more, as many as five 1.75L bottles of vodka a week. On the way to work, while driving to job-sites, on the way home, anytime I was alone...I would wake up nearly every morning and throw up bile and sometimes blood, then catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, feel disgusted and swear off alcohol. Twenty minute later, I'd be drinking in the car.

The worst was getting called into HR, where I was told that two co-workers, at two different times, had mentioned they smelled alcohol on my breath. I talked my way out of it, stopped drinking during work hours for a few days, then started right back up. What a putZ!

Anyway, like I said above, it feels different this time. A week in and the cravings seem weaker than in the past. I told my wife I would call her if I got the urge, and I really think I will (I talked candidly with her a few nights ago when I got home from a rough day, and it really helped get past the urge.)

ONE WEEK!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hay great job!! one week was a mile stone for me too. i tried to stop for about a year. today i been 8 weeks completely sober. i woke up feeling like you did looking in the mirror ashamed of my self too. but not today, i feel great. congratulations!!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your week! Having a plan in place for when you feel like you want to drink is a good step. You may want to build in some more reinforcements, too. Keep on trucking!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

You're my kind of alcoholic - drank very similar to you. Having said that, going from 100 km/h to 0 is tough...do you have a plan of action for this new different feeling you have now? Many of us have a program of recovery. Mine was AA, but there are other ways out there.

Congrats on a week!

(Forgive the metric up there ^^^^^, I am Canadian)