Notices

It's nice to start a day wthout a hangover

Old 01-30-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's nice to start a day wthout a hangover

each day I wake up with a good 7 hrs sleep and that fresh morning feeling helps me not drink anymore. I realize the hangovers just were not worth it. A clear head and a sound stomach are such a nice change of pace. I go about my day with ease not wondering when I can get home and "nurse" my hangover which is impossible to do. The hangover is like nature's way to try to get us to stop drinking. Does anybody else feel the same way?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

A hangover is our body trying to deal with the poison we put in it. I don' miss them. I had enough of them in 25 years of drinking - but clearly not enough of them while I was drinking to stop. Amazing what we put our bodies through.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I understand. I suffered brutal alcoholic hangovers. A moderate, or non drinker, who woke up feeling like I did would go to the hospital, I went to work.
A non-problem drinker can't understand the alcoholic hangover. It got to the point where I was imobalized and would lay in bed all day swearing to never drink again.
Until I felt better. Then it was back to a binge. Crazy.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, I wasn't one to nurse a hangover myself. But man I sure don't miss them.
I think hangovers have a lot to do with the alcoholic cycle. You feel so lousy,the only way to feel better is to do it all over again. Thus starting another day of hell. Over and over again.
Thats how it worked for me anyway.
Fred
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who misses being hung over.

For one thing, when I was drinking, I certainly couldn't exercise before work.

Now I can!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Oh yeah!

How I suffered. And I almost always made it to work. What a mess. No use to anyone but I made it! I was proud of that.

It was always the last time as well because I felt so bad. Then about three or four pm DING! The madness was back and I was planning the next session.

Then the hangovers stopped. And quite soon after so did making it to work as I discoverd the joys of morning drinking. Went quickly downhill after that lol

I had a lovely coffee today as usual before my morning meditation. Then I made the boy's breakfast and packed lunch before sending him off to school. Then took her ladyship her coffee in bed. Makes me SHIVER thinking about the old days. No thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello ChopperTS,

How did get rid of the 4pm planning for the next evening session?
I love morning with a clear mind and responsive body - but I struggle after work...not to "reward" myself with that that poison!!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A bad hangover is worse than flu because it is accompanied by horrible feelings of guilt and despair. I got to a stage last year when I couldn't bear the thought of more hangovers and that has been a big factor in my deciding to stop. Why did I live so much of my life with a hangover? I remember when I tried to moderate in the past, the hangovers were extremely severe, especially if I'd managed not to drink for a week or so...

Just to remind myself...

Aching liver/kidneys
Headache
Racing pulse
Twitching
Unable to sleep it off
Despair
Acid indigestion
Bowel problems
Irritability
Cravings for really unhealthy food
Retching
Bloatedness
Puffy face
Bad skin
Bloodshot eyes
Dry mouth
Inability to concentrate
Fatigue
Sweating
Depression
Guilt

Have I forgotten anything?

Last edited by brazzaville; 01-30-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Originally Posted by Anouck View Post
Hello ChopperTS,

How did get rid of the 4pm planning for the next evening session?
I love morning with a clear mind and responsive body - but I struggle after work...not to "reward" myself with that that poison!!
Hi Anouck,

Initially that was the hard bit. Watching the clock. Feeling like I was missing something. I used to make sure I ate a decent amount of good tasty food I enjoyed around this time. I forgot my waistline for a few months. I felt a lot less like boozing on a full stomach.

It gets easier and easier as time goes on and then one day you realise you haven't thought about booze that day. Just don't expect it overnight. Took me some months to get to that stage but it DOES get much easier if you just keep plugging away. It never really crosses my mind now.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Originally Posted by brazzaville View Post
A bad hangover is worse than flu because it is accompanied by horrible feelings of guilt and despair. I got to a stage last year when I couldn't bear the thought of more hangovers and that has been a big factor in my deciding to stop. Why did I live so much of my life with a hangover? I remember when I tried to moderate in the past, the hangovers were extremely severe, especially if I'd managed not to drink for a week or so...

Just to remind myself...

Aching liver/kidneys
Headache
Racing pulse
Twitching
Unable to sleep it off
Despair
Acid indigestion
Bowel problems
Irritability
Cravings for really unhealthy food
Retching
Bloatedness
Puffy face
Bad skin
Bloodshot eyes
Dry mouth
Inability to concentrate
Fatigue
Sweating
Depression
Guilt

Have I forgotten anything?
Yes! For me waking up drenched in my own urine lol
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am SO grateful for my sobriety right now .
I sleep better.
I have more energy and motivation.
Anxiety and depression has lessened.
My digestion has improved MUCHO.
I LOOK healthier.
My relationships are MUCH better.
I feel hope.
I feel more spiritual connectedness.
I lost 5 lbs in a week.
Im enjoying my hobbies again.
People are regaining their trust and faith in me.

...and the list could go on and on.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Those horrible hangovers resulted in my daily drinking..hair of the dog was the only thing that helped and it was just a downward spiral from there. Just this morning a friend/co-worker was complaining about his hangover and I thought "I sure don't miss those..I was up bright and early and at the gym before work and I feel GREAT!"
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I can't believe I lived that way for so long. Hangovers were just a fact of life for too many years. Glad you are feeling good, cabo. It'll keep getting even better.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Amen to that, I don't miss those mornings at all!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Waking up feeling rested and calm, without all the physical and psychological issues from drinking the day before, is probably my biggest motivator. After years of drinking and as I age, I notice the effects of my drinking become not only worse, but more frequent. Why deal with any of that? It's such a battle in and of itself to get through the day feeling like that, ontop of all the other responsibilities I have. Simply not worth it anymore!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're right Capo! I have to agree that waking up refreshed is a wonderful gift to give ourselves. I don't miss the tension, disorganization and agitation that were part of my mornings. I didn't realize how extra hard I was making my life!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh and my tmj has drastically improved (alcohol makes me grind my teeth in my sleep).
Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

When I've been sober and began to see even the little things improving, I felt so amazing. I think as alcoholics, having such a devastating lifestyle behind us to remember helps us to feel gratitude for all of the things we didn't care to notice before, because now we're so refreshed in this new life. It's like new eyes, new mind, new everything.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's really weird but the worse I got alcoholically, the less my hangovers were. I'll try to explain: when I was younger and would only rarely overindulge, I would get massive, blinding hangovers. After I started drinking alcoholically at the age of 45, I would only get mild headaches sometimes...no stomach issues. No, it's totally different now. I go into withdrawal. I shake so bad and get such violent panic attacks it's truly frightening. Believe me, I would MUCH rather deal with headaches and vomiting!

The nice part though is that the path I am choosing, sobriety, won't involve any of those maladies.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

6.11am here, just awake, feel completely fine; no hangover, no acid reflux, no vomitting, no no noooooooo anything. Went bed at 10.30pm. Will try and clean the house before my 4 year old son wakes.

But no issues, very happy, looking forwards to the sun rising

Quitting drinking was a great move on my part, im proud I was so smart to think of it !