Notices

Heart Attack

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Think about this: Do you really think that your last 2 months will be pleasant? If you think that you'll be relaxing with a drink and then will just calmly fade away, I've got some bad news for you. You will experience the highest level of pain and suffering if you try to drink your way through liver disease. I highly, highly suggest going to a detox center and getting help.

I'm sorry that I sound so harsh, but it didn't seem like you needed another person to tell you that everything will be great and that you'll be alright going out with your plan.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I too have wondered if I was handed a death sentence what would I do? Would I live my days out in a daze, or would I continue with my sobriety? It's a fleeting question, rhetoric at best,
Paul,
yes, i wondered that occasionally, and then it hit me on a gut level that i am indeed handed a death sentence, as are you. life comes with it. nothing rhetorical about that question. the question, no, the answer, about how to live our remaining days "ought" to be the same, whether we know there are few or whether we think we have years of them.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think the doc might of been saying that would be the outcome if you continue drinking? This might have been his scare tactic. It seems funny that you just happen to go into the hospital for a different reason and it just so happens you have that much longer to live. meanwhile you've been drinking all these years. you need a second honest opinion for sure. You should definately stop drinking though
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

What Fini said.

Thats a sad story DK. A glaring reminder of what insanity looks like. Not being mean either. I dont judge as Im not in your shoes. Thanks for posting ... it does help.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DKFS View Post
My wife and kids know who I really am, and even though I have been a heavy drinker, it's never really hurt my family life,.
You`re 41 years old, apparently abused alcohol so severely that you have less than two months to live and you claim that your drinking never hurt your family?

Interesting.

Obviously I can only speak for myself and using anecdotal observations, but alcoholism is generally an incredibly self destructive force for the addict and damaging to the entire family.

I'd not want any father or husband to have the impression that their alcoholism can be contained and isolated to only themselves.

Alcoholism / Alcohol dependency is quite consistent in its ability to tear families apart and scar children for life.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlisonW View Post
Please use the time, drunk or sober, to spend with your family.
If I had a loved one drink themselves to an early death and then in the last few weeks, I'd not want them slobbering drunk on the floor, bloated yellow skin, swollen liver and stained yellow eyes, puking up blood and bile as they continued to poison themselves to the point they fell into a coma curled around the toilet in a soiled blood speckled bathroom.

That's not for me. I'd not want to expose myself to that, I'd rather they live their last days sober.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm also baffled by what you wrote a few weeks ago;

"I've gone to the doctor to find out how bad my liver was and they said it's one of the best ones they've seen with my history of drinking. They said I only show a little damage, but they said I must be doing something right, I told them I eat every night before and after I drink and they said that is a major factor why my liver isn't that bad."

What Doctor ( Them, who is them) worth a lick would claim that eating before going to bed staves off liver disease?

A few weeks ago you've got the best liver a Doctor and "they" ( who is they?) have ever seen for a drunk who drinks 30 beers a day. Now, a few weeks later you have been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver, your kidney's are toast, you had a massive heart attack and you might only have 4 weeks to live.

Seeing as I've personally known someone who suffered from cirrhosis of the liver and failed kidney's...that is why your post confounds me.

I was with them from beginning to end and no Doctor on earth would have told them everything was great with them one week and then a few weeks later inform them that actually, they were gravely ill.

This person was gravely / deathly ill for five years before they died!! She didn't have the energy to walk up a flight of stairs two years before she died!!...the liver and kidney's are essential organs and when they start to fail you can't just live like normal...you're dying, you've no energy, you're in pain, you can't hardly get out of bed...

Don't get me started on the kidney's...bloating so severe the skin looks as though it would explode if you pricked it with a needle...dialysis twice a day, meds, constant blood work, extreme exhaustion beyond anything you could possibly imagine...

A horrible, horrible slow painful death and you being in the final throes of this horrific death have yet to mention how positively debilitated and ill you are?

Only that you're going to drink yourself silly to the end and live life on your terms, that you " decided that I'm gonna live everyday to the maxx?"

With a dying liver and failing kidney's? How the heck are you going to do that? With just a few weeks left to live, you should hardly be able to keep your eyes open, to get out of bed even, let alone post on a sober recovery forum that you're going to drink yourself dead!?

I am confounded.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
If I had a loved one drink themselves to an early death and then in the last few weeks, I'd not want them slobbering drunk on the floor, bloated yellow skin, swollen liver and stained yellow eyes, puking up blood and bile as they continued to poison themselves to the point they fell into a coma curled around the toilet in a soiled blood speckled bathroom.

That's not for me. I'd not want to expose myself to that, I'd rather they live their last days sober.
Xune, just speaking from my personal experience regarding my father as discussed in my post - of COURSE I would have much preferred him to be sober in the final weeks/months/years of his life, who wouldn't - and of course I would not have enjoyed seeing him in his death throes still pouring vodka down his throat. I did the soiled blood speckled bathroom thing a couple of times before the end, I know what that's like. My point was - if the OP is TRULY dying, then whatever state he is in, give his family a chance to spend time with him, or at least to make that choice themselves. As horrible as it would have been, I'd rather have lived through that bathroom scene one more time, than had my father die without having a chance to speak to him before it was too late. Again, just my personal experience.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My prayers are with you DK...there are few who know the pain & fear you have right now. But a few of them did chime in here, and it sounded like they also believed in miracles of sorts. You never know, none of us do. I pray that something will hit you that will make you try to beat what's in front of you, no matter what the odds are. I pray you also find dignity & peace .
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
High on Life

Alcohol has defeated me, but it doesn't have to defeat you. I hope my story helps someone reading this stay sober.
It's sad to hear your story and what years of drinking everyday can do to you. You said you wish that this story would be helpful to somebody. How is that possible when you say alcohol has defeated you? You said the doctors gave you 1-2 months to live, then why not try to make the best of that 2 months? According to your other thread (which I find hard to believe) you have been drinking everyday since you were 14 and have six kids, but you are this terrific father. That's impossible. How can you be a terrific father drinking 30 beers everyday. You might never have abused them and provide for them financially, but you weren't there, because your mind wasn't there.

They tell people all the time, they are going to die and you know what miracles happen and they get better. However, I highly doubt your situation will improve though if you keep abusing your liver with your daily drinking. Think about it. You said alcohol defeated you, but as long as you are still breathing and your heart is pumping, then you have still have a fighting chance.

If you want your story to be helpful to someone, why not try changing the ending?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
I'm also baffled by what you wrote a few weeks ago;

"I've gone to the doctor to find out how bad my liver was and they said it's one of the best ones they've seen with my history of drinking. They said I only show a little damage, but they said I must be doing something right, I told them I eat every night before and after I drink and they said that is a major factor why my liver isn't that bad."

What Doctor ( Them, who is them) worth a lick would claim that eating before going to bed staves off liver disease?

A few weeks ago you've got the best liver a Doctor and "they" ( who is they?) have ever seen for a drunk who drinks 30 beers a day. Now, a few weeks later you have been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver, your kidney's are toast, you had a massive heart attack and you might only have 4 weeks to live.

Seeing as I've personally known someone who suffered from cirrhosis of the liver and failed kidney's...that is why your post confounds me.

I was with them from beginning to end and no Doctor on earth would have told them everything was great with them one week and then a few weeks later inform them that actually, they were gravely ill.

This person was gravely / deathly ill for five years before they died!! She didn't have the energy to walk up a flight of stairs two years before she died!!...the liver and kidney's are essential organs and when they start to fail you can't just live like normal...you're dying, you've no energy, you're in pain, you can't hardly get out of bed...

Don't get me started on the kidney's...bloating so severe the skin looks as though it would explode if you pricked it with a needle...dialysis twice a day, meds, constant blood work, extreme exhaustion beyond anything you could possibly imagine...

A horrible, horrible slow painful death and you being in the final throes of this horrific death have yet to mention how positively debilitated and ill you are?

Only that you're going to drink yourself silly to the end and live life on your terms, that you " decided that I'm gonna live everyday to the maxx?"

With a dying liver and failing kidney's? How the heck are you going to do that? With just a few weeks left to live, you should hardly be able to keep your eyes open, to get out of bed even, let alone post on a sober recovery forum that you're going to drink yourself dead!?

I am confounded.

Are you saying you dont believe him? Honest questions as I am not really sure what his previous threads stated.

I'm confounded as well (not to be rude) but your post comes across as a little (very) harsh.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

People don't have expiration dates... I've heard plenty of stories where the doctor says they have a few months to live, and they bounce back. Fight it off, quit and stay quit, I mean... what if you lived? What if you're around a decade from now and look back on how you almost gave up, but didn't?

If you look at it logically there is only one decision...

alcohol - certain death
sober - a chance at living.

The choice is clear man, take the chance, please!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well guys, I haven't been on for a few weeks because I had a heart attack recently, and while at the hospital, once I was revived, I told the doctor how much I was drinking, which was a case of beer a day, and he did some tests, turns out, I have cirrhosis of the liver and beginning stages of kidney disease. The doctor said I don't have long to live, probably 1-2 months tops he said. I decided that I'm gonna live everyday to the maxx, and by that, I'm going to get drunk everyday because basically when you get that kind of news, you need something to just forget about it. Alcohol isn't worth it but I've been drinking for years and I don't plan on stopping until I'm dead. Alcohol has defeated me, but it doesn't have to defeat you. I hope my story helps someone reading this stay sober.
There is something to dying with dignity - but to each their own,
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My prayers are with you and your family.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyWeaver View Post
Are you saying you dont believe him? Honest questions as I am not really sure what his previous threads stated.

I'm confounded as well (not to be rude) but your post comes across as a little (very) harsh.
Sorry, but after reading this, I'm with Xune. I don't believe the original post. Compared with his previous posts this has more holes in it than swiss cheese. And, if he really was suffering from a heart attack, liver failure, and kidney failure, he would be in ICU, suffering in a LOT of pain. NOT "living everyday to the max by getting drunk everyday".

Maybe in Hollywood, or a Nick Cage movie, but certainly not in real life, and not on SR.

Your post is an insult to those of us who have suffered from this horrible disease, and worse, to those who have actually been through, or have loved ones who have been through your little fantasy.

I retract my previous post, DKFS, as well as the prayers.

Zube
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd like to know more too...but without the OP being here to respond, I think we'll leave this thread for now.

I'd like to think the OP will be back....if only to give some news to those of us who have wished him well and offered prayers.

feel free to ask me to reopen this thread or start a new one then DKFS.

D