Notices

Whiskey

Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whiskey

What is it with idiots who get bored with everything and begin using?

You see, last time I was "here" I had a coke problem. Don't kid yourself, I still do, just not as bad. However, my new problem is, I began drinking like a fish. While this has been going on for a couple of months, I can't bring myself to stop. It's to the point of having, on average, a bottle of Jack Daniel's throughout a day. It begins as soon as my eyes open, and ends when I pass out...somewhere... on the floor, in the kitchen, on the stairs, in the bathtub, in the back yard, the shed, garage.........

So, my question is, what was the argument you've had with yourself in order to stop drinking?

I'm out of ideas, and the little man inside my head refuses to listen to reason.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I argued with myself every day. When I stopped arguing is when I stopped drinking. I just accepted that I can't have ONE. Stop arguing with the man inside your head. He always wins.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by ChooChooTrain View Post
So, my question is, what was the argument you've had with yourself in order to stop drinking?
There was no arguing, no fighting. I was transferred from the hospital ER to detox. After leaving detox, I went to AA meetings every day.

I'd suggest leaving out the ER part--too much expense and drama.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you want to continue each day of your remaining life like you described? If not, then the reasons for not wanting to continue as you are doing, become the basis of the argument you need in order to motivate yourself to quit.

If you don't want to pass out with the bottle each day, what would rather be doing?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Denial is one thing...if you're in denial then it will likely take more drinking to convince you- that was my experience...and I STILL have a denial-ridden thought on occasion. If its just that you don't give a $hit enough to try something different, I relate to that too. Here is what I have found in my journey in and out of sobriety- It takes A LOT of misery for me to put down the bottle. If you are desperate enough, you will stop. Hope it is soon!!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah for me I had to stop arguing - whatever 'me' won, I'd lose.

I had to stop the argument and decided once and for all which way I was going to fall.

You know what the best thing for you to do is - I knew that too - you need to stop drinking (and doing coke). Thats pretty much a given.

so...stop arguing and start doing

There's a lot of means of support out there, choo choo - counselling, Dr, rehab, inpatient or outpatient, a million recovery groups...pick one and use it, man

make some changes

D
Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

An acquaintance of mine got drunk, tripped, fell, hit her head, died. Hmmm.

Do I want to die or do I want to live?

Sounds like a good enough argument for me.

You can stay stopped, too!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, I would play the tape out until the end. That meant the day might end with me drunk and hungover at the same time. Yuck. I realized my life might end with me never doing all the things I was capable of.

Consider this approach, especially as you say you have passed out in the bath tub. That could mean game over, and that would be awful.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
so...stop arguing and start doing

D
Like that !!!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In the end, I quit the arguing. I know exactly what you are talking about though. I also had a problem with coke that fueled my alcoholism. In the end it was just alcohol.

On the last day that I drank, I finally gave up and asked God for help. From that point on things have gotten progressively better. The worst day of my life became the beginning of the best days of my life.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

The argument for me ended when the fear of drinking outweighed the fear of not drinking.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It ended for me when I finally told myself "well I guess this is it, this is how I'm going to kill myself.".

Something snapped and I finally got it, alcohol could no longer be an option for me, or I would die.

Then I got help.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice. It does help!

I don't know why I'm having hard time stopping. I haven't been drinking for that long. Probably has to do with cocaine. It's that much better when I add the two.

Anyway, something to think about.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is progressive, but combining it with drugs seems to accelerate the process for many people.

I know during my flirtation with coke I was drinking way more, and it was already too much before that.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If youre an alcoholic like I am you wont be able to completely stop without help. call AA in your area or NA
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My moment, a mere 9 days ago, was when I realized how much I was worrying and hurting people and that I was in real danger of only getting to see my daughter Wednesdays and every other wkend...IF I was sober. I'm better than that and my family and I deserve the best me.

9 days in and I feel great. First few days the sleeping was horrendous but that improved and I built on that with physical activity to tucker me out. I haven't wanted to drink and while I have no illusions of avoiding triggers or urges I firmly believe I can do this. I just have to be sober right now. Three hours away, tomorrow, next year will all come in their own time but I just worry about each right now.

Right now I'm drinking tea.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hadn't done anything today. Which is amazing, actually.

Hopefully tomorrow will be the same.

Thanks all, and best of luck, guys.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChooChooTrain View Post
What is it with idiots who get bored with everything and begin using?

You see, last time I was "here" I had a coke problem. Don't kid yourself, I still do, just not as bad. However, my new problem is, I began drinking like a fish. While this has been going on for a couple of months, I can't bring myself to stop. It's to the point of having, on average, a bottle of Jack Daniel's throughout a day. It begins as soon as my eyes open, and ends when I pass out...somewhere... on the floor, in the kitchen, on the stairs, in the bathtub, in the back yard, the shed, garage.........

I'm out of ideas, and the little man inside my head refuses to listen to reason.
WWBD - what would Bubbles do?

sorry your avatar was too good not to comment on.

Argument to myself "hey f%cker you want to die, lose your family, lose your job then lose your house and cabin and dignity? you want to freaking kill someone bc you just love to drink while you drive? you want to exacerbate your predilection for heart disease by drinking ?

I guess I said all of that and then I put a plan in place.

What's your plan ?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Bubbles would feed his kitties. Me, on the other hand, I should probably clean this place up. My house keeper quit a week ago. Totally my fault. I hadn't cleaned the house since. It's a mess.

Surprisingly I'm feeling wonderful, I'm 100% sober. Just for a day.

Let's see how long before I cave.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, if you want changes in your life, you're going to actually have to work to stay clean and sober Choo.

Approaching it passively ('lets see how long before I cave') is setting yourself up for a self fulfilling prophecy I think...

There's no reason why you can't have the same lasting recovery that others here have had...I think you really get out what you put in, y'know?

D