SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I said goodbye to drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/282397-i-said-goodbye-drinking.html)

dp7 01-27-2013 01:26 PM

I said goodbye to drinking

No one likes to admit they're an alcoholic, especially someone like me who's managed to hide the social stigma associated with it for at least 10 years. I stopped drinking on Monday, Jan 7th 2013, and I want to tell the entire world ... GUESS WHAT, I'M DONE WASTING MY LIFE! I want everyone to know. I'm done spending money to buy the crap. I'm done feeling like awful in the morning due to being hungover with little sleep. I'm done not being the very best father and husband I'm supposed to be. I'm done being unmotivated. I'm done, I'm done, I'M DONE!!!!

My journey has just begun, but I'm happy to admit I am an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in 20-days! That's the longest I've gone without a drink in at least 15 years. And I feel better today than I have felt in at least a decade. So far, this choice has not been a battle at all.

Could I relapse? Yes! Do I think I'll relapse? NO WAY! It just feels too good to sleep through the entire night, waking up feeling great, with a ton of energy, ready to kick the worlds azz.

Ghostly 01-27-2013 08:58 PM

Sweet! :)

dthalez 01-28-2013 02:56 PM

Looking forward to being where you are at... :)

Sasha4 01-28-2013 03:01 PM

I agree with you 100% and yes sober mornings do rock!

Hevyn 01-28-2013 03:02 PM

Glad to hear the good news, dp7. Congratulations on your 21 sober days.

gleefan 01-28-2013 04:58 PM

Rock on!!

Your situation is similar to mine -- I've managed to hide my problem from friends, family and social acquaintences. They all know I drink a lot but my husband saw the ugly side of it. This afternoon it was snowing and the kids were released early from school. Snowy nights have always been drinking nights for my husband and me. The snowy afternoon had me thinking about drinking throughout the day. I was almost convinced, but decided to check into SR, where I read your post. I have been feeling pretty darn good on these past couple of sober mornings, feel focused and patient during the work day, tuned in to my kids, and loved by my husband. I don't want to give that up! Thanks for the reminder.

direwolf 01-28-2013 05:20 PM

Awesome! Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today...

FreebirdII 01-28-2013 06:59 PM

Great! :) I have only 24 hours and feel better already!:c011:

freshstart57 01-28-2013 07:33 PM

That is great, dp7. It's hard to say what exactly brings us to the point you just described, because that sounds like the end of your drinking to me. You know you can quit, having done it, and you know you can stay quit. It is not about willpower, it is just something you do not do anymore.

Keep believing in you and your ability. Well done.

dp7 01-29-2013 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by freshstart57 (Post 3795016)
You know you can quit, having done it, and you know you can stay quit. It is not about willpower, it is just something you do not do anymore.

I hate to sound so dismissal to this problem which plagues so many peoples lives, but it's not even a matter of willpower to me. I don't want to drink anymore, it's that simple. I'm done.

coraltint 01-29-2013 06:20 AM

great, keep it up!!

whiskeyman 01-29-2013 08:34 AM

but be cautious and always keep your ears and eyes open for that monster that will convince you that just one drink will be okay. IT ISNT OKAY

soberclover 01-29-2013 10:08 AM

Great job dp! I do hope you keep sharing your story and success!