Notices

1st AA Meeting... Comfortably Numb

Old 01-26-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
...It's Time.

1st AA Meeting... Comfortably Numb

Yesterday after work I was going to Walmart. The freeway exit was closed and the detour took me down these local streets. So Im at a red light and I look to my left at theres a church with a sign that says AA Tuesdays 6:30 pm and Fridays 7:00 pm. (God seems to always be giving me signs). I look at my watch and its 6:45. I said to myself the other day I was going to look into meetings and here its right in my face. SO I parked and decidee to go in.

Ive been doing one on one counseling but I figured I would try AA as well. I need all the help I can get. the stress of my DWI not having my car and the financial mess while im trying to stay sober its not easy mentally. Sometimes i feel so overwhelmed with just the thoughts of everything. It would be so easy to go get a bottle, have a glass of wine and forget it all... but I know I Cant Do That! Between the only reason i can still drive is because I got the DWI in another state and they couldnt take my license, for now anyway. But Anyway, AA was pretty insightful. I mainly listened and just introduced myself. It did feel good not to feel like an outcast. To see there are regular people you see in everyday life with similar circumstances.

I did catch myself zoning out at times. Maybe it was the group there but i did feel comfortable. Ill try it again next week. Thanks to all who recmended it. Also im curious to know what are your views on Rational Recovery? Has anyone tried it? If so did it work?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Discovery and self awareness are important steps. I remember my first meeting and at that point, I wasn't sure I was an alcoholic. I like your thought process about getting all the help you can. As you find what works, consistency is important, so stay with what works for you.

Take care and just focus on not drinking one day at a time.

Dave

Ps. I am not too familiar with rational recovery
Old 01-26-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you listen for the differences in a meeting...that's all that you will hear.
If you listen for the similarities in a meeting...you will hear what you need to.

There have been alcoholics among us since mankind first crushed grapes. Only in the last less-than-hundred years has there been a reasonably effective treatment. I guess what I'm saying is that recovery is in it's infancy.
I choose AA because I've never met a human being that would not benefit from an honest working of the 12 steps. There are other, even newer, options but please realize that many times we don't know what's best for ourselves.
As they say, our best thinking got us right where we are today....what would make us think that we're even qualified to know what is best for ourselves as a recovery program?
Just sayin....
All the best.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by MadameX View Post
Yesterday after work I was going to Walmart. The freeway exit was closed and the detour took me down these local streets. So Im at a red light and I look to my left at theres a church with a sign that says AA Tuesdays 6:30 pm and Fridays 7:00 pm. (God seems to always be giving me signs). I look at my watch and its 6:45. I said to myself the other day I was going to look into meetings and here its right in my face. SO I parked and decidee to go in.

Ive been doing one on one counseling but I figured I would try AA as well. I need all the help I can get. the stress of my DWI not having my car and the financial mess while im trying to stay sober its not easy mentally. Sometimes i feel so overwhelmed with just the thoughts of everything. It would be so easy to go get a bottle, have a glass of wine and forget it all... but I know I Cant Do That! Between the only reason i can still drive is because I got the DWI in another state and they couldnt take my license, for now anyway. But Anyway, AA was pretty insightful. I mainly listened and just introduced myself. It did feel good not to feel like an outcast. To see there are regular people you see in everyday life with similar circumstances.

I did catch myself zoning out at times. Maybe it was the group there but i did feel comfortable. Ill try it again next week. Thanks to all who recmended it. Also im curious to know what are your views on Rational Recovery? Has anyone tried it? If so did it work?
first of all Welcome to SRC! i am glad you are here with us. A.A. has helped me Greatly over the years. it was a little scary way back when i first started to go. the big thing with me was knowing that i was REALLY an Alcoholic and not just a so called problem drinker. as soon as that was made crystal clear to me (took way too long) i quit fighting it and just accepted it.. since then it has been very simple. A.A. saved my life. i wish you the best..
Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good you found a convenient and comfortable spot with good people. They may be involved in doing things in there that allow them never to drink again a day at a time, which is pretty cool for them.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

weird, I did the same thing thursday. Im not an AA guy either. the meeeting I went to was one where you read from a book. I like to try a different one. After the book reading some guy that didn't have all his marbles talked for for like 20 min. everybody gave him the respect of not snickering or sighing.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad you had a good first meeting! I second the thought of trying different meetings, too. I went to a meeting every day my first 90 days, and I found myself running into some of the same people at various meetings. It's a good way to get to know a lot of people, and for them to get to know you. Helps a lot with just feeling comfortable. Every group has its own format, and its own "flavor". Most people find they get the most out of certain groups, and also eventually pick one as their "home group," a place where they go to regular meetings and can have a say in how the group is run.

I always found AA to be pretty good in terms of having everything I need to live a happy sober life, so I haven't really sought out any other recovery programs. I've heard a few ideas from RR that can be helpful, but they don't have meetings, and it isn't as comprehensive a program of recovery, from what I've seen. IOW, it can help you not drink, but it doesn't address other aspects of your life the way AA does. Maybe other people with more experience with it will give you more information.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

I go to A.A. meetings and consider them an integral part of my ongoing sobriety. I don't feel that it is a perfect program, but it is an effective one that has helped literally millions of people around the world. One thing that many A.A. folks do that I don't care for is to suggest, imply, or outright say that A.A. is the only way to achieve lasting sobriety. It may be the only way for them, but it is most certainly not the only way for everyone. My advice would be to investigate Rational Recovery and as many other methods as it takes for you to find the one that resonates with you personally.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also im curious to know what are your views on Rational Recovery? Has anyone tried it? If so did it work?
I am utilizing RR/AVRT.

You can learn more about Rational Recovery/AVRT in the Secular Connections forum here. The post will have AVRT or Addictive Voice Recognition Technique in the title.

I'm not adept in doing links so maybe someone will come along and be able to provide the direct links to the appropriate threads.

Great job in getting out and not drinking.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Glad you decided to go! You can look on the AA website for a list of meetings in your area and maybe you will find a move lively one where you wont find yourself zoning out! I know in my area there is one meeting I usually avoid unless im depserate to get to one because its the type that makes me sleepy. Mostly old old folks who share the same stories each time. lol But thats cool too sometimes. You will find some that you like. Congrats on your first meeting
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I waited over 2 months before finally getting things sorted enough to go to an AA meeting. Went to my first meeting this week. My buddy said to look at it like just another tool in my toolbox to stay sober. I think that is a good way to look at it. It keeps my expectations for AA realistic.

And, that was a really cool story. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I find Rational Recovery to be, well, rational! I liked going to AA meetings. I liked the people. I didn't like the warmed-over Oxford Group "spiritually". But if you find it helpful then have at it! Sobriety is so much easier than living as a drunk.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It did feel good not to feel like an outcast. To see there are regular people you see in everyday life with similar circumstances.

The realization that I was not alone and that there were many other "regular" people with the same issues helped me a lot.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have done 10 meetings in two weeks, totally voluntary. It is a really good thing for me. I need the support.

The thing about AA is that they don't kick you out if you fall/relapse. They will comiserate with you. They will cry with you. They will welcome you with open arms. They are there for you. And I am just a noob. God Bless You and Prayers to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Glad to hear you got to that meeting.
I don't recall much from my first meeting - I was still rattling and vibrating, but what I did get out of it was that people drank like I did and spoke about it and that there was a solution to my problem. And in that regard, I was hooked.

Different group and different meetings have different energies, I find. There is never a bad meeting, but there are certainly ones that I like to attend as often as I can. It took me a little bit of just showing up to new meetings and seeing what jived with me...and you can do the same.