Notices

Attorney for DUI? Need help please

Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Looks to me like the OP is here strictly for legal advice, since he or she has not posted a single thing about being concerned about his or her drinking.
That is a good point. Of course you are worried about these consequences, but I have had TWO DUI's......not proud of it, and I thank God no one was hurt.

How do you feel about this other than the legal matters? That is an issue that will resolve in time, but alcoholism will not unless addressed. Are you in and kind of recovery program, or do you have a plan? Sober?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Honestly, I got a LOT of help and support when I got my second DUI. In fact, I did after my first as well...my downfall was thinking after a year or so that I was "cured" and quit with my recovery. Then guess what? Second charge...jail time. In a way I am glad it happened...BIG wake up call.

I hope this is a wake up call for you too.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The consequences of my DUI's did not help me get sober. I continued to drink/drive with no license. The consequences of the DUI's made me feel more like a social outcast than I already did. I would gladly take doing a few months in jail than the endless nonsense the Secretary Of State put me through to get my license back. Some people say that DUI's are all about the money. However, I believe it's more than that. Society has declared drunk drivers to be public enemy number 1. Now the latest "menace on the roadways" are those who text & drive. 10yrs from now they will made into horrible people like those who drive intoxicated.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Everyone charged with DUI should immediately retain a lawyer who practices in that area.

OP - all the questions you're asking are typical of someone exposed to the court system for the first time. They made a mistake concerning your DL, they didn't tell you something, give you something, whatever. You'll pick up every red herring and be oblivious to the one thing that can get you off. Law is complex and DUI law especially so, because it is litigated so vigorously (lots of people motivated and able to pay to fight them unlike, say, shoplifting).

Get a lawyer, follow their advice, and relax.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Gee, this helps everyone here....er, nope. It's just about you, and how you can beat the system. I've seen enough of people like you who just care about how to slip past the cops. You don't care about getting sober, have questions about how to handle it, or worry about becoming a better citizen. You just wanna get off the hook. If you're looking for legal help, go to a legal website.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Gee, this helps everyone here....er, nope. It's just about you, and how you can beat the system. I've seen enough of people like you who just care about how to slip past the cops. You don't care about getting sober, have questions about how to handle it, or worry about becoming a better citizen. You just wanna get off the hook. If you're looking for legal help, go to a legal website.
Definitely a good point. For all the complaining (justified in my opinion) about DUI laws and penalties and turning a guy who had 4 glasses of wine into public enemy #1 the bottom line is most people who get DUI's have a problem, and it is worse than 10,000 dollar fines and 30 days in jail.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I advise that you get a lawyer, your case seem not straight forward and I bet you will not be able to manage it on your own. An attorney can help you get answers to the questions you are asking and also have the questions answered by the authority.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
The consequences of my DUI's did not help me get sober. I continued to drink/drive with no license. The consequences of the DUI's made me feel more like a social outcast than I already did. I would gladly take doing a few months in jail than the endless nonsense the Secretary Of State put me through to get my license back. Some people say that DUI's are all about the money. However, I believe it's more than that. Society has declared drunk drivers to be public enemy number 1. Now the latest "menace on the roadways" are those who text & drive. 10yrs from now they will made into horrible people like those who drive intoxicated.
I realize I am going to immediately regret typing this after I hit the submit button. But I have to get this off my chest. Justfor1. . .you have written similar posts in the past about how you feel unfairly treated by society after your multiple DUIs. I lost a friend to a drunk driver. I feel unfairly treated by repeat offenders.

I consider myself a patient, gentle judge of character. Most would say I am a pretty forgiving, kind person. But I get angry when people want advice about how to *get out* of a DUI with no curiosity about how to *get out* of addictions that threaten not only themselves, but my family whenever I get on the road with them.

This will sound harsh, but I have little compassion for someone who receives three DUIs. At this point, you are very much a menace to society.

That said, I have LOTS of respect for people who work towards recovery, and don't blame society for how they feel about themselves. Own your mistakes.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Are you serious with these " I'm a victim" posts about getting caught drunk driving THREE times?

We all get it, you had to pick up trash and you can't promise you will never drive drunk again (you have made that very apparent in multiple victim posts)

I'm just confused as to why anyone should feel "sorry" for you when you don't even seem to accept any responsibility for what you have done.

THREE TIMES
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Let me get this straight--you got paperwork indicating there would be a preliminary hearing on "the enclosed date," there was no "enclosed date," and you decided just to IGNORE IT? Since THANKGIVING?
I was thinking this same thing. Plus, I gotta say, I think there is a chance the court date was somewhere in the paperwork you were given. Lost it maybe?

Also, blood results can take weeks or longer to get back depending on where you're at. You were arrested for driving / operating while intoxicated...you don't initially need the results for that. Operating / driving with a prohibited content is a different charge, so those results can come later. Not saying its right or ideal, but it takes a while to get them tested...just reality.

Yes, though...consult with an attorney.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
I was thinking this same thing. Plus, I gotta say, I think there is a chance the court date was somewhere in the paperwork you were given. Lost it maybe?
Yep... Even if it wasn't, it was clearly supposed to be...I'd have been on the horn to the Clerk of Courts, toute de suite...the court considers it up to the charged to be where they're supposed to be, when they're supposed to be there...