Notices

constant argument

Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

by the sound of it you have been so lucky so far in life to not have done something so bad that you would end up in big trouble
whenever i hear anyone say they havent done this or they havent done that i always say after it the simple word YET

i hadnt been to prison either until one day i got sent there as my luck ran out

i hadnt lost all my money yet until one day i did lose it all

i just hope one day you dont post on here that if only you had listened
as i wish i had only listened to the wise people in aa who told me i would one day end up in the simple mess i ended up in

today i just live a simple life the life i was always suposed to live but never knew how
until aa shown me the way but i had to give in and accept what i am and believe it 100%
while your luck holds good i guess its a hard thing for anyone to really believe the bad things will happen to them
but just give it time and one day it certainly will
Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I also crawled back into AA many times
Over the years I heard a lot of stories there
That I either could not relate to
Or had not happened in my life yet
There it is that word (yet)
With more drinking time experienced
Many of the yets came true in my life also
Yes I was finally convinced
I was an alcoholic
And in grave trouble once again
Not only with the law
But also with
Wife and neighbors
I was sick and tired of myself
Back to AA
It's been working just fine now for 6 years
MM
Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

From reading your opening post my question is what difference does it make if you are an alcoholic or not? It's clear drinking it a huge issue and not drinking would make lots of life easier.

No brainer eh?

Tail chasing about fine points of to be or not to be don't solve anything.

If the problem is drinking, the solution is likely to be not drinking.

If going to AA and having to say "i'm an alcoholic" is something you can't do, quit with a different program. Because it's also true we need to be able to stomach the medicine in order to get cured.

I have seen people do the in again, out again, am I or aren't I thing with AA and alcohol for ages, lots of energy and time spent on that, would have been better spent on getting sober.

If the word alcoholic didn't exist, would it change anything about your situation? Or in the end would no drinking be the thing that changes the situation?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
gluelicker.

If you honestly, truly feel that you are not an alcoholic, are doing this for others and not yourself, and want to go back out...then do it.

You've been on the boards, you've been to meetings. You've been sober one year. If you're willing to gamble that against the chance you might not be an alcoholic, that is your business.

However, I propose if you find yourself in the rooms again. If you have been blessed with the gift of desperation again as so many of us have had, please commit to doing the steps with a sponsor. If is there is any chance of the program solving the alcohol problem for good, that is it.

Remember we will always take you back in with no judgements nor do we shoot our wounded.

May God bless you and keep you until then.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

thank you to all for help and comments i did not drink, made my year had a two week holiday abroad with my family. Acceptance and having faith was the difference, I hva finally shattered the delusion( fixed false belief) that i can drink normally or safely, Today i feel free
Old 08-16-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your year

D
Old 12-08-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

still here ,still sober and enjoying life.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Baxi,

I joined the sight just recently, and have found the posts to be so helpful.

Reading this entire thread has been really helpful to me to see the progression through recovery that can occur. As they often day, I want the peace of mind that you have, and I am willing to do whatever I have to do to get it.

Thanks to everyone for a great read, and the hope and encouragement these threads help promote!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety and happy life baxi

Thank you for sharing and checking back in--it really does help others
to see how it can be done. . .
Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Great story. I just picked up on it for the first time today. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks for your honesty and sharing, Baxi.

I am sure glad you are here.

Is the am I or am I not debate really worth having?

Feeling Great laid things out rather nicely, I think.

Only someone like us would even consider whether we are really an alcoholic under the circumstances, and with the consequences, that you wrote about in your original post.

I suggest that you read tomsteve's longer post above a few times.

You choice seems to be to continue drinking and fighting battles you invariably lose or have a fairly remarkable life.

Only someone like us would actually regard that as a choice at all.

Take care and hang around.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you Baxi - glad all is well

D
Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Having read through all my posts and replies from start to finish ,I can see patterns of my thinking that are related to fears of new experiences and feelings ie,first holiday, first year etc

Having lived through this I can say that all of these passed and most of my fears were unfounded and based on feelings of low self esteem and inadequecy.

I continue to attend aa meetings and enjoy the sense of fellowship and identication of feelings and emotions. I dont buy into the tribalism of meetings however i am open minded enough to let people be what they need to be.

In terms of the programme i see God as Good and spirituality as the answer to this alcoholics emotional illness.

Acceptance was the thing that I could never had as i would not accept I had the illness of alcoholISM

Today acceptance, having gratitude and seeking to do Good makes the diffrence. I also accept I am a flawed individual and there is a freedom in that
Old 12-10-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you.

This saying helped me to finally stop drinking: acceptance means you stop fighting it.

Sounds so simple but it's really powerful. I stopped fighting the battle of trying to drink without negative consequences. It was difficult but a huge relief at the same time. The amount of energy I expend each day just living is so much less than it used to be. Life is easier.

If I ever miss the drinking days I am not missing 2014 or 2012. I am missing some long ago time in 2006 or 2007 when drinking still made me feel good. I'd have to be out of your mind to miss daily hangovers and sickness.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, baxi,

Just saw your thread, and I remember when it started (the thread). I was hoping you hadn't gone out for more "experimentation."

HUGE congrats on your sober time! Those lines on page 417 of the Big Book capture for me (and, apparently, many others, based on its popularity and quotability) the essence of acceptance. Once I really dropped the rope in this tug-of-war and quit fighting it, everything changed. I don't give two hoots about whether someone else would diagnose me as an alcoholic, alcohol abuser, alcohol-dependent person, or just a plain problem drinker. I KNOW, based on my experience, that I cannot drink safely. I KNOW that drinking had become the center of my life and that there were increasingly worrisome consequences to that.

Enjoy your freedom!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed this thread and you are very inspiring. Thanks Baxi
Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi All

just popping back in letting every one know i am still sober. Being sober has allowed me to tackle and face up to lifes difficulties, as they say today i am fit, fresh and free for anyone struggling just hang in , time is a great healer and being sober is far easier than being drunk. take care
Old 02-13-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post and good to hear Baxi

D
Old 02-13-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you Baxi!!
Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hello and good morning I have just celebrated 2 years of sobriety and would like to thank all for the help and support my life is in a much better place and I can think straighter I have not lost my self respect in 2 years now and as previous posts have said I am fit fresh and free.