Notices

Seeing someone you recognize at an AA meeting

Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeing someone you recognize at an AA meeting

you know when you see someone you've seen many times but you can't remember where from? don't you hate that. do you continue to go to a meeting if you see people you know?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

nono, of course not!
you should only go to meetings where you never know anyone! and once you meet some people there and get to know them, you'll have to switch meetings.

kidding, of course

think about it: they're there for the same reason. they might be able to help you. it's a bonus, if you can get over the possible initial discomfort. or maybe you can help each other....this gets easier with time as you find your feet.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't worry about seeing people I know. I don't think it's shameful to be trying to better my life, so I don't care if people from "the outside" see me. Besides, they're there for the same reason!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I remember the first time I ran into someone I knew at a meeting. It was someone I had had an adversarial relationship with (professionally adversarial, that is, not personally), and it turned out he had been in the program for 22 years! He was glad to see me, gave me a hug, and told me to call if I ever needed help.

I never worried about it again.

I've also run into people I know who are brand new to recovery. I remember how I worried about it, myself, and go out of my way to make them feel welcome and comfortable, the same way that guy did for me.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I truely believe that most everyone gets the nervousness when starting. But 99.9 % of the people at meetings really do want to help others. Just my opinion.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I've run into people I know - I love it. There was one guy I used to run with and worked for me as well many years ago, and just happened to run into each other at an AA meeting about 8 months ago. We hang out now, in a different sense, and it's great - it's like we've restarted a friendship, but now one based on honesty, integrity and a true desire to see each other do well. Very groovy.

There is a bond that comes from being in the fellowship, and I can't imagine it being any different with someone I would know from "the outside". The more the merrier
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It has happened to me a few times. The last time I ran into a former neighbor. We talked a little bit, caught up on each other's kids, and although I don't see him much I feel like we now share a special kind of bond. I think it's like we realized we are brothers in the same fraternity.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This thought used to freak me out too. I started by going to meetings a bit of a distance from my house. Saw people I know anyway. I am pretty much over it although it still happens from time to time. They are there for the same reason as you. Now I just go to whatever meeting I like and figure if someone is there that I know, it was obviously meant to be.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was a bartender....every now & then I will see an old regular. They're always shocked to see me on this side of the fence!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My 2nd meeting ever i saw my judge! That was awkward..Since then we have been trudging buddies, actually. He's helped me get a case dismissed, lol
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You wake up in bed with a prostitute. You sit up and see your next door nieghbor on the other side of the prostitute. Don't think either of you will be doing a lot of sharing about the experience to friends in town.

My sponsor is one of my clients that I knew on a professional level before I realized he was in AA
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

has this ever happened to you MIR, meaning the prostitutes? just curious