Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Alcohol hurts the liver - Poor nutrition hurts every organ and cell

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I haven't quit drinking - I still drink more beer than is healthy - but I've quit slamming wine bottles and liquor drinks. I'm curbing my intake - and it feels good.

However, I quit smoking cigarettes and weed about a year ago. That has been a struggle in and of itself. But, I've been juicing fruits and vegetables/making smoothies. Putting frozen blueberries and spinach in a blender with fresh bananas and lettuce sounds disgusting - and it makes a disgusting shade of blue/grey - but it feels INCREDIBLE to drink - and you don't even taste the green veggies, you just taste fruit. I've come to realize - there are two types of hunger. 1) You are lacking macronutrients (ie: Carbs, Proteins, Fats) - you are actually very hungry. 2) You are lacking micronutrients (Fiber, Vitaman C, Vitamen K, Boron, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Lignans, Riboflavin, Potassium, etc.)... when you eat a filling breakfast you generally fulfill the need for the aforementioned #1 macronutrients (toast could be carbs, eggs and bacon for protein and fat). However, when you are going throughout the day and you eat some candy, or chips, or coffee (not healthy) - your body is generally craving #2 - the micronutrients - and something along the lines of an apple, a grapefruit, a salad (possibly with a chicken breast to fulfill macronutrient needs?), broccoli, or cooked cabbage - would be much more beneficial to your body.

Sometimes, you think you are starving - but an apple or salad can satisfy you for hours. You're saying "I would LOVE a grilled cheese/burger"... but then you eat a salad or fruit and you realize - I'm satisfied. Micro-nutrient deficiency is VERY similar to alcoholism. Alcohol will never supply your body with nutrients - Doritos will never supply your body with nutrients. The combo of both at the same time has a cumulative effect.

I've been reading Dr.Joel Fuhrman's book...

youtube.com/watch?v=c3inIskvVgI

He is an incredibly insightful doctor. Foods like kale, spinach, lettuce, blueberries, strawberries, etc. include far more nutrients than people think. Taking a multivitamin is not sufficient for optimal health and inducing liver recovery and preventing cancer. We need to ingest smoothies, vegetable juices, salads, and plant based soups/dishes. Raw fruits and veggies as well as cooked veggies.

Listen to what Jack LaLanne said about unhappiness sometime in the late 1950s (a time of incredbile cocktail drinking in a PTSD induced post-world war 2 culture)

watch?v=NEboAJf9UVc

I'm a total hypocrit BTW - I'll indulge in a veggie based diet for a few days then get hammered on high calorie beer or wine... but I wanted to share this intrinsic wisdom with the world. Fortified cereal based foods are a concept of the world war 2 era generation based on facile and ignorant assessments of nutrition. Meeting your daily value of Vitamin C only means that you don't get scurvy - Meeting your daily value of Vitamin D only means that you don't get rickets.... there are thousands of phytonutrients present in natural foods that benefit people on a cellular level that we will never understand within our lifetime. Just because you've had enough Vitamin C to NOT get scurvy doesn't mean that having more will hurt - Dutch scientists have cured malignant cancerous tumors by giving patients excessive levels of basic vitamins, minerals, and nutrients provided by plant foods.

Eat blackberries, strawberries, romaine lettuce, broccoli, and kale. It will cure your body and spirit on a level you didn't know was possible.

I'm not a California hippie type (more of a new york pizza/beer type) who leads a yoga/vegan lifestyle - but that may happen soon... In fact, I actually ate pretty crappy for the few days. After drinking a fruit/veggie smootie, eating a salad, and jogging a mile - I regained a childlike eurphoria that I hadn't felt in years! (For the past year I've been yo-yo'ing between nutritional euphoria and alchohol induced eurphoria and alcohol induced depression... kind of triangle.)

I'm actually mildly drunk right now - But I've been curbing my drinking and I feel like I am on the cusp of sobriety. I feel like blueberries and lettuce have been more helpful to my feeling good than willpower has. I encourage all of you to up the fruit and veggie intake through creative ways - smoothies, salads, fruit cups, juicers, apple & peanut butter (natural kind - not JIF ****), beans, peas, steaming veggies, non-oil cooking....

Alcoholism is poisoning your body. Vegetables and fruits, prepared and/or cooked in a healthy way, are panaceas. Since the rise of man and the neolithic dawning, our evolutionary history has dictated that we ingest great amounts of vitamins, minerals, and (previously neglected) phytochemicals.

None of us would have survived without Mom telling us what to do... and Mom always said, eat your fruits and veggies. Do it - daily.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As primates, and I realize that Homo Sapiens comprise the most significant biological exception ever presented, we should follow the dietary example of our closest relatives.

youtube.com/watch?v=tM8hNJfRNSM

Most primates spends HOURS a day feeding on greens and napping - I realize that isn't possible for the modern human. However, we can emulate a vegetative intake comparable to this with smoothies, juices, and soups.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Just need to get the beer kicked and you will be a picture of health!

Thanks for the post.

Stu.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol disrupts the body's ability to absorb some nutrients.......

let the beer go!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mjc400 View Post
I haven't quit drinking - I still drink more beer than is healthy - but I've quit slamming wine bottles and liquor drinks. I'm curbing my intake - and it feels good.

However, I quit smoking cigarettes and weed about a year ago. That has been a struggle in and of itself. But, I've been juicing fruits and vegetables/making smoothies. Putting frozen blueberries and spinach in a blender with fresh bananas and lettuce sounds disgusting - and it makes a disgusting shade of blue/grey - but it feels INCREDIBLE to drink - and you don't even taste the green veggies, you just taste fruit. I've come to realize - there are two types of hunger. 1) You are lacking macronutrients (ie: Carbs, Proteins, Fats) - you are actually very hungry. 2) You are lacking micronutrients (Fiber, Vitaman C, Vitamen K, Boron, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Lignans, Riboflavin, Potassium, etc.)... when you eat a filling breakfast you generally fulfill the need for the aforementioned #1 macronutrients (toast could be carbs, eggs and bacon for protein and fat). However, when you are going throughout the day and you eat some candy, or chips, or coffee (not healthy) - your body is generally craving #2 - the micronutrients - and something along the lines of an apple, a grapefruit, a salad (possibly with a chicken breast to fulfill macronutrient needs?), broccoli, or cooked cabbage - would be much more beneficial to your body.

Sometimes, you think you are starving - but an apple or salad can satisfy you for hours. You're saying "I would LOVE a grilled cheese/burger"... but then you eat a salad or fruit and you realize - I'm satisfied. Micro-nutrient deficiency is VERY similar to alcoholism. Alcohol will never supply your body with nutrients - Doritos will never supply your body with nutrients. The combo of both at the same time has a cumulative effect.

I've been reading Dr.Joel Fuhrman's book...

youtube.com/watch?v=c3inIskvVgI

He is an incredibly insightful doctor. Foods like kale, spinach, lettuce, blueberries, strawberries, etc. include far more nutrients than people think. Taking a multivitamin is not sufficient for optimal health and inducing liver recovery and preventing cancer. We need to ingest smoothies, vegetable juices, salads, and plant based soups/dishes. Raw fruits and veggies as well as cooked veggies.

Listen to what Jack LaLanne said about unhappiness sometime in the late 1950s (a time of incredbile cocktail drinking in a PTSD induced post-world war 2 culture)

watch?v=NEboAJf9UVc

I'm a total hypocrit BTW - I'll indulge in a veggie based diet for a few days then get hammered on high calorie beer or wine... but I wanted to share this intrinsic wisdom with the world. Fortified cereal based foods are a concept of the world war 2 era generation based on facile and ignorant assessments of nutrition. Meeting your daily value of Vitamin C only means that you don't get scurvy - Meeting your daily value of Vitamin D only means that you don't get rickets.... there are thousands of phytonutrients present in natural foods that benefit people on a cellular level that we will never understand within our lifetime. Just because you've had enough Vitamin C to NOT get scurvy doesn't mean that having more will hurt - Dutch scientists have cured malignant cancerous tumors by giving patients excessive levels of basic vitamins, minerals, and nutrients provided by plant foods.

Eat blackberries, strawberries, romaine lettuce, broccoli, and kale. It will cure your body and spirit on a level you didn't know was possible.

I'm not a California hippie type (more of a new york pizza/beer type) who leads a yoga/vegan lifestyle - but that may happen soon... In fact, I actually ate pretty crappy for the few days. After drinking a fruit/veggie smootie, eating a salad, and jogging a mile - I regained a childlike eurphoria that I hadn't felt in years! (For the past year I've been yo-yo'ing between nutritional euphoria and alchohol induced eurphoria and alcohol induced depression... kind of triangle.)

I'm actually mildly drunk right now - But I've been curbing my drinking and I feel like I am on the cusp of sobriety. I feel like blueberries and lettuce have been more helpful to my feeling good than willpower has. I encourage all of you to up the fruit and veggie intake through creative ways - smoothies, salads, fruit cups, juicers, apple & peanut butter (natural kind - not JIF ****), beans, peas, steaming veggies, non-oil cooking....

Alcoholism is poisoning your body. Vegetables and fruits, prepared and/or cooked in a healthy way, are panaceas. Since the rise of man and the neolithic dawning, our evolutionary history has dictated that we ingest great amounts of vitamins, minerals, and (previously neglected) phytochemicals.

None of us would have survived without Mom telling us what to do... and Mom always said, eat your fruits and veggies. Do it - daily.
NEVER BLEND VEGETABLES YOU WILL DESTROY THE FIBRE CONTENT.

please do some more reading, smoothies and shakes are literally just like sugary drinks because the fibre has been destroyed.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

alcohol is not good for health specially for liver because the metabolite of alcohol has a harmful effect on liver.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried to eat healthy but drank lots of alcohol. Thought I was being healthy.......
Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did atkins whilst hammerring several bottles of beer and wine each day.. didn't work
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I found that total abstinence from alcohol was necessary for any real spiritual gains to commence. Or else even the greatest of healthy eating habits was for nothing.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ive been vegetarian for 8+years. Vegan now for 6 months. Sober for 4+ years. Exercise 6 days a week. Im healthier now than I ever have been.

Healthy diet is key for my overall well being. Spirit Mind and body. If one is off they all suffer in my opinion. That being said, if I were drinking still, my healthy diet and exercise would be doing very little to keep me in shape. Once booze has a hold everything else takes a back seat.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

JUST TO BE CLEAR -

I'm saying that I still drink beer - And it's a bad thing! I just didn't want to sound like a condescending health guru - I wanted to express that I have a struggle with alcohol so I can relate to the people here.

I totally want to quit drinking and I think I've made a lot of progress in that regard. I think fruits & veggies have helped me immensely!!

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
NEVER BLEND VEGETABLES YOU WILL DESTROY THE FIBRE CONTENT.

please do some more reading, smoothies and shakes are literally just like sugary drinks because the fibre has been destroyed.
Says who? Deconstructing the cell walls of plant based food increases their potential to be fully absorbed by our bodies. Fiber is NOT destroyed by blending. Why do you think we evolved to have teeth and saliva to deconstruct those cell walls in our mouth? Why do you think that humans started to make salads and chop up their veggies in the first place? I've read numerous books on nutrition and just spent 30 minutes googling about this very topic - I couldn't find a single doctor who agreed with your assessment.