Notices

Is Sobriety Really Worth It...????

Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Is Sobriety Really Worth It...????

It is 5 degrees out today & I have not seen the sun in days. This is the time of the year when my depression has always been the worst. Naturally, my addiction was usually at it's worst during the winter months as well. I have been sober nearly 9months & have only drank 1 day in the last 16+ months. The question popped into my mind, "sobriety isn't helping so why not buy a six pack?" All the consequences of drinking/drugging did not deter me from picking up a drink again & again. I have a high tolerance for pain. The local mental health clinic keeps canceling my appointments & I am getting angry.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Turn it the other way around -- is getting drunk everyday and feeling like **** worth it?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

J41,

yes, sobriety really is worth it. Keep moving forward. it's worth it.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sure is worth it. For me it is.
watching my kids grow up. wow
i missed alot
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Yes, sobriety is well worth it.

It's not just the matter of not drinking
or drugging or let me see how many
days I can not take a drink or drug, it's
not the quantity of days not drinking or
drugging, but rather it is the quality of
each day you live clean or sober free.

There are many people that don't drink
or take a drug, but are they really, truely
happy or are they extremely miserable
inside. So many are, sad to say.

Sobriety is a new way of life. It is living
and working each day without depending
on a controlled substance to get thru those
days. And for me, I tried so many times
in the past to live without a drink to only
find the cravings for it much stronger than
the first.

I first needed someone to teach me or feed
me information about alcoholism or drug
addiction and how it affected me. What caused
me to drink. Why I drank.

For me, family intervened on me looking for
help that they didnt have to get me for my
reasons of wanting to leave this Earth. I spent
28 days in rehab for my problem with drinking
and was handed those tools and knowledge
of a recovery program and set on a path of
recovery that I would travel a day at a time.

My recovery journey began 22 yrs. ago and
still on it today.

My journey is forever changing for the better
each day I have remained sober because I first
learned about my alcoholism, addiction to alcohol,
learning to live each day incorperating those tools
and knowledge of a recovery program in my
everyday life and then, most of all, passing
on all that knowledge of my own experiences,
strengths and hopes of what like life has been
like before, during and after my drinking career.

Because other members passed on their ESH
with me each day to help me stay sober, I can
and have done the same thing to newcomers
or others struggling with addiction themselves.

Each time I do this, it helps me take the focus
off my own selfishness, my own problems which
are really not that big, and focus on helping some
one else struggling.

That in itself is extremely rewarding in recovery
which turns the darkest moments in life to shine
bright as the sun.

Use recovery to help you stay sober, doctors for
medical purposes, remaining openminded, willing,
and most inportantly, honest in all ur affairs.

Rewards of the promises stated in our Big Book
of AA will come true, will materialize if we work and
live for them in recovery.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

one of those days here as well I think maybe i should just get drunk the hell with it. I know its not the solution. I know what the solution is to get out of my funk today but its insane to blow off my problems just so I can smile. But I feel like thats what i do. Stuff my head firmly up my rear so i dont have to face the obstacles. Its no solution either but it beats drinking.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

To me yes, it's absolutely worth it. Getting drunk never solved one of my problems, staying sober and changing my entire life to support my health and recovery have addressed and resolved a majority of my problems, and I'm armed with healthy skills for the next ones that might come my way.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

What I would like to do is to go back & tell most of the people who tried to help me in the past that they were wrong. The many doctors, substance abuse counclers, AAmembers, family members, SR members ect...My extensive alcohol & drug abuse did not cause my mental illness. It was there before I ever picked up a drink & remains. I would love to sue the doctor who would not treat me for depression a few years ago because I was drinking. Or the doctor who refused to prescribe me my anti-anxiety meds.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

get outside. that five 5 degree weather will get the juices flowing. Im going for a long walk for lunch. It's about 23 here and breezy
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
It is 5 degrees out today & I have not seen the sun in days. This is the time of the year when my depression has always been the worst. Naturally, my addiction was usually at it's worst during the winter months as well. I have been sober nearly 9months & have only drank 1 day in the last 16+ months. The question popped into my mind, "sobriety isn't helping so why not buy a six pack?" All the consequences of drinking/drugging did not deter me from picking up a drink again & again. I have a high tolerance for pain. The local mental health clinic keeps canceling my appointments & I am getting angry.

Is it really going to be a six-pack?

Will that be enough?

Have you ever just bought a six-pack and drank it then stopped, and found that it did not lead to any more drinking?

Go back in your experience with drinking, and what led you to SR, and getting sober in the first place.

Can you not see the truth when it comes to your alcoholism?

What can you do to help yourself see your truth?

Perhaps a concession list.

When I drink _____ (this happens...always)

When I drink...I overdrink...always.

When I drink...I regret it...always.

Make your own list.

~

A friend of mine told me that it may be helpful to visit a tanning booth for some artificial sun...I know it's not healthy...but maybe it is ok in moderation?

My md found I was low on vitamin d...and gave me an rx.

Maybe get your level checked?

What can you do today? What can you get accomplished?

What could you create, or organize?

Who could you help today?

Do something positive for you and for someone else today.

You'll be feeling great soon.

:ghug3

PS...just read your last post...about all the wrong people. Sounds like you have a few resentments!

All anyone can do is try to help in the moment. Don't be mad at them...the wrong people.

Don't keep a grudge. It only hurts you.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sobriety is worth it.

I ran four miles today, did some other light exercises and just finished a nice lunch.

I feel great and it is because I am sober that I feel this way.

If I'd been drunk or nursing a daily hangover, I'd feel like ass right now.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What I would like to do is to go back & tell most of the people who tried to help me in the past that they were wrong. The many doctors, substance abuse counclers, AAmembers, family members, SR members ect...My extensive alcohol & drug abuse did not cause my mental illness. It was there before I ever picked up a drink & remains. I would love to sue the doctor who would not treat me for depression a few years ago because I was drinking. Or the doctor who refused to prescribe me my anti-anxiety meds.
I have had similar problems, so I think I can relate. Yes, I still suffer from depression even though I'm sober. I have even been suicidal while sober. But I know that drinking only made my depression worse. It will not help the situation at all. So I choose not to drink today. At least without drinking I stand a chance at a happy life, but if I pick up I'm lost for sure.

I hope you get the help you need!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your defects and shortcomings cannot be addressed before you stop drinking.
The 12 Steps of AA cannot help you until you stop drinking..

You should probably sue yourself for not doing what the Doctor prescribed you do so he could help you.

The best prescription for me today is still the one I was told when I came to AA in the beginning ... "Don't drink and go to meetings"

I got the best anti-depression med this morning that I ever had... I helped a newcomer at the morning meeting feel like he belonged.

All the best

Bob R
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Gal220 View Post
I have had similar problems, so I think I can relate. Yes, I still suffer from depression even though I'm sober. I have even been suicidal while sober. But I know that drinking only made my depression worse. It will not help the situation at all. So I choose not to drink today. At least without drinking I stand a chance at a happy life, but if I pick up I'm lost for sure.

I hope you get the help you need!
You took the words right out of my mouth.

The PTSD and consequential depression disorder I suffer from stem from issues unrelated to my alcoholism. I do know that my drinking did mask those mental health symptoms to some degree for a while in my life but eventually the alcohol stopped working and made the mental health illnesses worse.

I have no doubts that my mental health illnesses and my alcoholism are two separate things with two different causes and require two different approaches to treat. But I also know that they are intrinsically linked to each other. If I am drinking my mental health illnesses get worse and if I am not treating my mental health illnesses then I am more prone to drink.

I also don't drink because I have living proof of the harm it did to others in my life, my children, and I can see the positive changes in them since I have found sobriety.

So to answer the OP's question "Is Sobriety Really Worth It...????"
I would have to answer without a doubt.
I may question and struggle with my mental health illnesses and subsequent treatments but I do not question my sobriety because I know if I am not sober there is no hope of ever seeing my mental health illnesses or my life get better. As long as I am sober there is hope. If I lose hope I am dead because some days with the mental health illnesses I have, hope is all I have.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I have no doubts that my mental health illnesses and my alcoholism are two separate things with two different causes and require two different approaches to treat. But I also know that they are intrinsically linked to each other. If I am drinking my mental health illnesses get worse and if I am not treating my mental health illnesses then I am more prone to drink.
That has been my experience too. Very well said, nandm.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Once I began to address the fear, selfishness, selfpity and stubbornness, and started to work my program ..... my depression and suicidal thoughts commenced to drift away.

Literally all of my "mental health" issues are dealt with in the 12 Steps

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think you really know the correct answer to your question, you are just facing a rough time of year. Winter is a difficult season for many (myself included). I hate the cold, short days. I go tanning twice a week for the warmth and it feels SO good! It really helps with my moods.

You have come so far, stick with it and you will be happy!! I wish I had the strength you do to make it 16 months+. WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zjw

Xune thats part of my issue due to the cold and becuase I know I need a rest I didnt run today. The problem is when I dont i'm a miserable SOB. Its going to be rediculously cold here all week I have to muster up some bravery to go out and run in it for the sake of my sanity!! And it has me wondering HEY when does the madness stop!!! Why is it that not running for one day throws me into a tizzy?! Whats wrong with me I've been thinking all day long!
I guess i need more things to keep me happy. Problem is these things interfere with my job. Whats more important my job or my sanity and sobreity ?

seems to be a common question for me as of late. Whats more important money or my health? Whats more important My job or my health? etc... etc...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=2granddaughters;3784799]
Literally all of my "mental health" issues are dealt with in the 12 Steps

That is literally the most dangerous advise I could have read. That statement you made could get people killed. Thankfully, now that I am sober I can dismiss this advice & move on.