Michael Z's Weekly Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Michael Z's Weekly Quote

January 21, 2013

Quote of the Week

"If you stay on the train long enough,
the scenery will change."

Whenever I talk to a newcomer, I remember the insanity of early recovery. I used to talk in endless circles about my problems and about the people, places and things responsible for them. I went on and on about how I could never stop drinking, and I was convinced the program wouldn't work for me. I didn't believe it when people told me, "This too shall pass," but I was out of options so I kept showing up hoping they were right...

It took many months of staying sober and working the program, but things did begin to change. I began feeling better physically, my head cleared, and I became open to a new way of living. As I took different actions, I got different results and after a while my life improved. More importantly, I developed the perspective of recovery, and I learned, first hand, that things do change as long as I'm willing to change first.

Today I know that I can only keep changing and keep growing if I stay on the train of recovery. No matter what the scenery looks like today - and sometimes it's not so pretty! - as long as I continue to grow along spiritual lines, I know that it will change and things will get better. This has been my consistent and enduring experience, and I now live by and trust in the knowledge that:

If you stay on the train long enough, the scenery will definitely change.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

A great, positive message Bob.

It does take work, but I wouldn't give up this journey for anything in the world.

Choo-choo!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

Whenever I talk to a newcomer, I remember the insanity of early recovery. I used to talk in endless circles about my problems and about the people, places and things responsible for them.
WOW that was me!! I ran out of ears that would listen to my rambling!! That was one factor that helped me run to sobriety is no one wanted to listen to me anymore I didnt even wanna hear me wine about the same things again and again!!. But i couldnt stop. quiting drinking was a last ditch effort if it didnt work i was going to go get therapy or something thankfully it solved a mountain of problems and I never needed therapy.