Notices

Well, (a deep subject)

Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, (a deep subject)

Well, I fell....Pledged the 24 hour chip. I got home and started cleaning house. Found a hidden bottle (go figure); cats and dogs started raising hell and I yelled at them. I was rattled. It was bad. They had broken fragile stuff that I hadn't yet. I ran them out and they get to live outside for the rest of their lives. I was mad, and without a second thought, I cracked the seal.

I will tell my group what happened and give the chip back. I am sorry.

God tested me and I ****** up. I was doing good, I thought. This may take some time.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am sorry to hear about your relapse.
I am happy to hear you are not giving up.

I was intrigued when I read
Pledged the 24 hour chip
as I had never heard it put that way before. You might consider this different perspective on the 24 hour chip before you return it.

When I was given my first 24 hour chip nearly 12 years ago a person after the meeting came up to me and explained to me the symbolism behind that chip. She stated that the chip was given to those new to sobriety as a symbol of hope and promise. That the 24 hour chip is a reminder of several things.
First we all only have today as today is the only day in which we can effectively make change happen.
Also it is a reminder that I do not have to worry or think about being sober tomorrow or the next day I only needed to focus on today and sometimes to do that I would need to just focus on not drinking for that minute or that hour but the important thing would be to look at the chip and remember I only needed to not drink today.
It is a symbol of hope because by making it through today the today's become yesterdays which in turn become weeks and the weeks become months and before we know it the months have turned into years all by simply holding onto the promise and hope of today.

For me the days have multiplied into years but even today my most cherished coin is my 24 hour coin. It means more to me than any of the others combined.

I encourage you to consider keeping your coin and utilize it as a promise of hope for a better tomorrow by just not drinking right now. When you think about drinking pull that coin out of your pocket, look at it, and remember you just need to not drink today.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Could not have put it better. Keep the chip, it's a symbol of your desire and hope.

What are you doing to stay sober THIS 24 hours?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by waterhill42 View Post

God tested me and I ****** up. I was doing good, I thought. This may take some time.
God doesn't test us - life does.

The God I know doesn't test me, the same way I don't put my sons in the street to see if they will avoid the oncoming cars on their own. I am there to protect them and guide them. I am there so that they feel watched over and loved. That is how the Creator looks at me. That is my experience and feeling.

Get your chip back. Start again. You can do it
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Let the dogs and cats back in.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am gonna drill a hole in that funker and put it around my neck. Thanks y'all.

LatteLady, maybe this summer.....maybe when I get sober....maybe not at all. God gave them coats, they'll be fine.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Keep at it water hill. great post Nandm
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't punish the animals. They have coats, yes, but there are dangers outside. Let them back in. Be kind, please.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i have the date of my last drink inscribed in my 24 hour coin and it is in the cover for my BB. every time i pick up my BB, it reminds me of that day and gives me tremendous gratitude for not being that person today.
cats and dogs will be cats and dogs. they do that. one of the best things i found to do for both my lil buddy and me is when he starts to get a lil crazy is to get him out and play with him. to me its like playing with God. my lil buddy reminds me of God. i may not like what he does all the time and he may not like what i do, but we always forgive each other.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So the innocent animals have to wait until you are sober to be cared for properly? This summer, maybe? Find them a better home. You don't deserve them. When I was drunk and messed up and didn't even take care of myself, my cats always were.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well you see how much the dogs and cat mean to us.
Maybe you should NOT have animals if that is the way you deal with them because You
Drank.
Have some compassion will ya
Old 01-21-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
Maybe you should NOT have animals if that is the way you deal with them because You
Drank.
No shortage of dog and cat avatars here!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
cats and dogs will be cats and dogs. they do that. one of the best things i found to do for both my lil buddy and me is when he starts to get a lil crazy is to get him out and play with him. to me its like playing with God. my lil buddy reminds me of God. i may not like what he does all the time and he may not like what i do, but we always forgive each other.
Awesome tomsteve...

My wife brought home a dog last fall... beautiful sable rough collie... Lassie dog, in other words. Definitely not a full time outdoor animal... I have had full time outdoor cats that I've grown attached to (I live in the country, sorta) and they don't last long... too much can happen.

Anyway..

At first I approached the taking the dog out as more of a chore than anything... kind of a PITA... it wasn't good for either of us... As soon as I made it something I looked forward to... get the coat and hat, the leash, good walking shoes... now we go for at least a mile, sometimes three, twice a day, first thing in the morning and late in the evening, after 10 pm... we have developed a bit of a relationship, an understanding... I look forward to it as much as she does, even in the ice and snow we've had lately... then we come home and lie on the floor and let her lick my face... I know, kinda strange, that part, LOLOLOL

Animals can be a pretty cool part of being human, if you let them... might help your recovery too.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
Drank.
I drank AFTER I kicked the wildassfarmcritters out. That is what they are. I live on acreage. They mostly live outside anyways. My smallest dog is 70lbs., my largest is 150. My smallest cat is 15 lbs., the largest is about 30. These are the baddest ass critters you have ever seen. I don't worry about winter, its the summers that kill around here.

Enough about Your take on MY animals' welfare.

Lets talk alcohol.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waterhill42 View Post
I drank AFTER I kicked the wildassfarmcritters out. That is what they are. I live on acreage. They mostly live outside anyways. My smallest dog is 70lbs., my largest is 150. My smallest cat is 15 lbs., the largest is about 30. These are the baddest ass critters you have ever seen. I don't worry about winter, its the summers that kill around here.

Enough about Your take on MY animals' welfare.

Lets talk alcohol.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry that your animals are suffering because of your issues. That's very sad.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you doing now?

I had a 24 hour chip that someone gave me the first week in the program. They had a "birthday" night a few days later, and I was overwhelmed by the people who had so much sobriety. I thought that would never be me. After the meeting, I went to a movie by myself to try to get my mind off of things. I dropped the chip during the movie - heard it roll and bounce all the way down - and I couldn't find it again afterwards. I was absolutely (and disproportionately) devastated. I thought, "If I can't even hang on to a little bit of plastic, how am I going to stay sober?" I went back out that night. But the next day I went back to a meeting and walked out with another chip and a sponsor, and I haven't had a drink since.

Don't get discouraged. It's a new day, and you can be sober for it no matter what you did yesterday!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

a thirty pound cat Water? what are you feeding that thing?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I was in treatment, my councilor met with my group every morning. He had some profound words:

"Who in here has been sober the longest?" - the answers would vary, some two weeks, some one month, some just a day or two.

His answer: "You're all wrong. I've been sober the longest, because I got up at 5am this morning. You were all still asleep. Therefore, I have been sober longer today than all of you, and that's the end of discussion".

The moral: It's easy to get caught up in length of sobriety. I know at some AA meetings I feel like some people are addicted to these numbers, getting all puffed up about being sober 13 years etc. The bottom line is that this is not a contest. It's not a numbers game.

So if you woke up this morning before I did (6am CST), then you've been sober for longer than me. Keep it up. Tomorrow's a new day pal. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
a thirty pound cat Water? what are you feeding that thing?
Anything she wants, lol. My critters eat alot of raw meat. They get plenty of exercise out here in the country. I just grow them big. My vet is amazed at the cats sizes. They are just big boned I guess, or maybe part bobcat.....

My dogs mostly live on turkey necks. Runs me about .34 cents a lb. Way cheaper than Purina, and better for them too.